1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Q on Bhaal's death

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by The_Nerd, Jun 10, 2001.

1. The_Nerd Guest

Ok if according to Planescape universe belief=existence isnt the only true for Bhaal to die be if his followers just stopped believing?
    I mean we all saw Amaunators avatar getting too weak to stave of the demon of hate in his temple.
    So how could Bhaal be dead? Arent there still people worshipping him?
    So isnt it plausible this way that Bhaals just weaker and might kill you to restore his power?
    Anybody elses thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

That makes since, but it would also make a bad plot IMHO.

3. The_Nerd Guest

I didnt mean it to sound like a plot just something to think about

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

well, since this is forgotten realms, I dont think it goes like that.

Bhaal's avatar was directly killed in battle during the times of trouble(I think it was in ToT) and therefore he died, like stone dead, no matter if someone believed or not.
    His offspring yet lives though, and that is why I am not very certain in my theories.

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] There have been many story-lines about deities being "killed". A great (and cheesy) example is Xena, Warrior Princess. She was able to kill the gods, and pretty much wiped out the Greek Pantheon. (in fact, I think she had to move on to the Celtic gods just to get her jollies!)

So, to answer the original question, deities can die. It all depends on what sort of "rules" the creators of the world in question set up.

Another example - in 1st edition AD&D, you could kill a deity if you battled them on their home plane. So, journey to the 1st level of Hell, off Tiamat, and she's gone for good (plus you get 15 times the experience - not that you'd win!)

6. The_Nerd Guest

Hmm ok Bhaals mortal form is dead? So if your avatar is dead your dead? I dont get it how the hell could lowly humans kill the Lord of Murder? how hard is it in FR to kill a god?

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you have bothered to watch the intro to BG2: '...the time when gods where made flesh and walked the earth...'. I think that pretty much explains it.

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

well, I can't remember who told, but he wasn't sure. He ment that it was Helm that killed Bhaal's avatar, so, it wasn't just some mere human

9. The_Nerd Guest

Helm killing Bhaal helps clarifies things Volthar or whatever your name is I have watched the intro just never understood how death could be perminent with whole belief=existence question

10. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually it was Cyric who killed Bhaal before he became a god. And Bhaal probably isn't fully dead, just scattered around the multi universe like Bane was when he first tried to attack Shadowdale. He might be able to restore himself since according to the avatar trilogy books in the end Lord Ao said that he wouldn't restore bhaal since he was a traitorous servant. So maybe he isn't really dead...

11. The_Nerd Guest

Hmm ok so my theory does have some merit. So what is point of Bhaal spawn and whole rebirth thing? What are we multiplanar lightning rods to guide Bhaal back?
    And wouldnt Ao have taken steps to keep Bhaal out permanently?
    Sooo it was Cyric who wasted Bhaal? Or was it Helm? Anybody really sure on this one?

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] It was Cyric that killed Bhaal.
    Helm that killed Mystra.
    Cyric(I think) that kiled Bane first time.
    Torm(the god) that killed Bane second time
    Bane that killed Torm.
    Cyric that killed Myrkul
    Ao that made Cyric and Midnight gods, and restored Torm.
    I read the trilogy last week

13. Bruce the Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Helm killed Mystra???!!! What is going on here, what happend to Elminster after the death of Mystra?

14. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually it was Midnight who killed Myrkul and she became the new Mystra. The old Mystra killed Bane the first time.

15. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] Sorry youre right Tyresian. Man where did i hear that name before?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.