1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Throne of Bhaal: Newbie Thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

...Not that you need them, though, both of them being practically useless.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Minh so, do you mean a wish scroll? No, we don't have a wish scroll, only 'limited wish' which is mostly useless because only bad things ever happen when Nalia casts it.

Meanwhile, we're trying to work out what the heck we're supposed to be doing on this level. There doesn't seem to be any obvious objective, other than something to do with the nut in the machine. Oh well, I'm sure if we wander around long enough, we'll work it out.

My latest pet hate is Magic Resistance. So many enemies seem to be resistant to magic nowadays that most of Nalia's spells are a complete waste of time. Plus I can never remember which spells bypass magic resistance and be bothered casting Lower Resistance a million times. For this reason, playing a solo magic-user must be a complete pain.

3. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

melf's minute meteors ignore magic resistance, she still has to hit the target tho. And people playing a solo magic user, still always have to get into melee combat sometimes because of MR foes. But that's were they use the staff of staves to it's full effect ;)

Ow and a hint, in the oppening sequence when you entered the level, there were gith and mindflayers. Both ran towards a certain part of the dungeon, why not explore those sides?

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Not that there is any real reason to use limited wish but if you want some better results you can try giving Nalia a wisdom boosting potion before casting limited wish, or if you are feeling particularly cheesy have a high wisdom character talk to the genie before it begins talking to Nalia.

5. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

hey, it's your first wish scroll and it can be powerful if ppl wanna abuse it :lol:

aside melf-meteor, there're lv5 sunfire and lv9 dragon breath, and maybe sunray for undead. Cleric can cast lv6 bolt of glory as well. But why bother, your fighters can wipe out everything in the way ;)

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Skull Trap also bypasses MR, and does some hefty damage at this point (it caps at level 20, unlike Fireball). IIRC, wands of cloudkill also bypass MR, but the Cloudkill spell doesn't (odd isn't it?)

Stop giving him hints about what to do next! Let him "wander around" and figure things out on his own, there are enough hints strewn about the level.

7. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Skull trap doesn't bypass MR, lest it would be the doom to baddie - because it does godly magic dmg ;)

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ouch. Just run into some guy called Demi Lich who systematically dismantled my party, person by person. It took me AGES to get past him. I almost gave up, he was so hard. In the end, not really sure what I did right - I think it was a combination of some spell turning spell from Nalia + Time Stop + not introducing every character at the same time.

Man, if "Demi"-Lich is this hard, I don't think I want to meet the "Full"-Lich.....

But Cespenar says I need Lich's head in order to upgrade Arya's cool Spectral Brand.

9. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    demi-lich is basically kangaxx without a pre-lich form. The guy is hard, unless you remember the tactics you used for kangaxx (cheesy or no).

10. Harbourboy

Who is Kangaxx (other than the guy whose name is on the back of the Sorcerer’s Place t-shirt)?

After seeing his name on the t-shirt I thought he must have been the big boss at the end of Baldur’s Gate. But that was Sarevok, so then I thought he must have been the enemy at the end of Shadows over Amn, but that was Irenicus, so then I thought he must be the boss at the end of Throne of Bhaal – but from what you are saying, I’m supposed to have already met him. Somehow I must have missed him, which means he can’t be very important, which makes me wonder why it’s his name on that was chosen to appear on the SP t-shirt.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Kangaax is a villain you didn't stumble across while in Amn.

12. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I guess spoilers are off now that you've played through once. In SoA, there was a fun little sidequest where you found an imprisoned lich. If you brought him his body parts, he'd reassemble and try to kill you. Once you killed the lich, he'd turn into a demi-lich. First time playing the game, he's an absolute whore--as you discovered fighting the demi-lich in WK. He has several weaknesses though, and can be killed quite easily in any number of ways.

Anyway, Kangaxx the demi-lich was good fun the first time around, and he drops a FANTASTIC ring. Now that you've killed a demi-lich, though, he's nothing special.

13. Thunder Gems: 7/31

Demi-liches...the bane of newbie players ;) So hard when you take them the first time, so easy when you really know all the weaknesses! And worth a lot of xp's to:) I still don't understand the part this demi-lich plays inside watcher keep though...

And demi-liches are NOT a lesser form of lich, but actually the next form a lich takes when it no longer needs a physicalbody. The demi-lich is the connection the essence of a former lich has with it's former body, while the rest is exploring the planes and other forms of excistence. There are also rumours of liches past even this stage of lichdom!

14. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG]
    Nicely put :D

I'm guessing that the reason he is on an SP T-shirt is that he is by far and away the most frequently asked question on these forums.

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    yes, Kangaxx is a regular for posters. Not only have numrous threads been made with people asking the same question, but many will continue to be made in the future I'm sure.

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Yep...that's true. I'm embarassed enough to admit that I myself have created atleast 7-8 threads over the course of the last two years.

He IS pretty easy once you cast Spell Immunity:Abjuration though...especially with a melee character...or with a wizard...just cast Spell Immunity Abjuration, Melf's Minute Meteors, and keep beating on him, and he will die in the end.

17. Harbourboy

Well, we’ve FINALLY managed to complete the ‘mad machine’ level. It took ages to work out how to find the crystal mallet with those silly coloured fires. But it was worth it because, hooray, hooray. Arya got to get one of her precious Dexterity points back by playing with the machine. She also got some extra hit points from improved constitution and Nalia is now a proper wizard now that she has 18 intelligence. The Charisma and Strength increases were of less use due to the use of items that already set those stats to specific levels.

18. Thunder Gems: 7/31

wow! :nuts: you gave those points to other people in your party??? You must really be roleplaying! :thumb: How many bonusses did you get out of the machine? Maybe you've missed some?

19. Harbourboy

Well, there was absolutely no point in giving 1 point of intelligence to Arya when Nalia was the only person who would get any benefit from it.

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I do the same thing. I usually give the intelligence to my mage if needed. I give my Character what is needed and spread the rest around.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.