1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Throne of Bhaal: Newbie Thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Omnipotent Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

dunno bout this 'crom being crap' malarky - give korgan it and he's quite happy to butcher most things in his way quicker than most chars specially wen coupled with +5 unyielding axe = make sthe slightly harder ToB game easier - always has the highest 'kills' in my party - and ive checked many times.

oh and to the person who wanted to keep it cos of the strenght granting items he loses. you really only lose 2 a 18/00 gauntlets and 21 belt but gain a 25 hammer (blunt dmg + electricity, which apperently are the best dmg types to do in BG2 anyways) but theres a 19 STR belt to buy, and a 22 Belt in ToB, and a long sword that grants 22 STR permantly too - ALSO later on u shud really have enuff spare dosh to buy beautiful potions that bolster STR (namely all the giant POTS).

obviously if youve set up a team that doesnt require it than obviously dont bother.
    its like saying use CF wen noone can use Katanas!

its good to beat the game the first time without half the EQ found anyways, it makes it still amazing wen u play it again & find new wonderful EQuipment!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Latest developments are that Minsc has now picked up his third high level ability (he chose Hardiness) and Nalia has picked up the very useful spell Time Stop. She's also got some spell called Bigby's Giant Fist or something. I have never ever heard that spell mentioned by anyone here before.

Also, Nalia has started casting Greater Malison more often now as you guys were right that these monsters seem to always make their saving throws. Celestial Fury hardly ever stuns anyone any more.

3. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I've been a (would-be) victim of Bigby's Giant Hand and Bigby's Crushing Fist; I believe Yaga-Shura's foster mother used one or both on me. Fortunately it hit Sarevok, and he was on a major roll of making saving throws.

Speaking of Sarevok, are you trying to reform him? I thought I was choosing the "good" conversation paths, but he didn't reform.

4. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

You still in the Keep? How are you finding it? I remember that I wasted hours before I understood how to get out of that bloody second level...

IIRC there are two Bigby's fists, one being an 8th and the other a 9th level spell, both being direct damage/hold type spells. I guess the problem is that you never have too many slots at those levels so you want to save them for the really useful stuff (eg timestop).

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Bigby spells are quite useless in my experience. The enemies they are useful against you will kill a lot quicker with a few hits than by a ninth level spell.

6. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The pinning spells are excellent for pinning the super-bosses in the game for one round. I used some of them to good effect against *someone* in Ascension mod.

But at any other time...yeah, they're not worth so much. Unless you want to role-play a jedi-wizard. :D

[ February 07, 2005, 06:48: Message edited by: Eric Xanthus ]

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

HB, I'm loving reading your updates! I feel like I'm going through ToB for the first time all over again!

Anybody else with "advice" for HB: SAVE IT! This guy doesn't want to be spoiled!

8. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Those Biggy's fist spells are available only if you have ToB installed.

Oh, and you have no Robe of Vecna, I see :)

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Robe of Vecna - the one that reduces the casting time? Nalia is wearing that, along with the Cloak of Mirroring.

10. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Damn, HB - is that glowing wiffle ball driving you nuts yet?

Well, especially when it's Viconia doing it - you know, that whole "evil clerics control rather than destroy undead" thing. Gets pretty handy when you're level 25+ and can turn anything except a Demi-Lich.

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

But including a Paladin :bang:

I dont think Crom Fayer is that great. Insta-kills Stone/Clay/Bone/Sand Golems, Ettins and Trolls :rolleyes: In Chapter 6 :lol:
    By then a Cleric can get to 25 Str for a fairly long time through his own spells.
    As a main hand weapon there are other, better options.

12. Harbourboy

Man - this Watcher's Keep is complicated. I'm actually having to think. Not good.

Hmm. The fire is vulnerable to ice and the ice is vulnerable to poison and the poison is . . . .

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Now folks, let him think. Don't tell or even hint. Bet he gets it all by himself.

14. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I agree with Nakia.

15. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I doubt he's using it, but there's a minor mod on this site that restores the cloak to it's appearance as it was with only SoA installed (just a silvery disc on the ground). I use it just because it's so much easier on the eyes.

BTW, you're at my favorite part of Watcher's Keep, HB!

16. Harbourboy

Minsc and Sarevok don't want to think, they just want to hack up some monsters. Viconia is too busy chatting up Sarevok and I think Nalia is getting bored. Lucky Arya didn't sacrifice her intelligence to Bhaal as she's going to have work this out. Let's try this fan thing again.

17. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Good luck with the elemental labs, HB. :D

Also, glad to see the updates still rolling in - as always, a fantastic read :)

18. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I hated that demon, but was my own fault.

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Don't worry; all your characters will die against the final boss in any case and wake up in the Mortuary as Nameless Ones. Sorry, was that a spoiler? :hmm:

20. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes, it was! And you've forgotten that Viconia would become a very sultry floating skull ;)

Good luck with the labs, Harbourboy !
    And don't forget the X-Files motto: "Don't trust anyone" :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.