1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Throne of Bhaal: Newbie Thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, we've already been to Cespenar once and now have quivers of unlimited arrows and bolts. Plus an ammo belt! This simple item frees up pretty much all of Minsc's inventory! Hooray! But no doubt I will overlook most of the items required to make the really cool stuff.

No hints on what to look for where please!

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Oh, you shouldn't have any problems finding Watcher's Keep items that Cespenar can upgrade, you practically can't go anywhere in there without stumbling across one.

In fact, by the time you are finished Watcher's Keep you will probably be cursing at how long it takes for Cespenar to discuss all of them.

3. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

(/me shudders, remembering fastforwarding through the dialogue after the 50th time: CLICK "...Ooo! Needs must I look through your..." CLICK "...a glove, only one? what is you, a rock..." CLICK "Oooo!" CLICK "... can you say it? Dooooooomm..." CLICK "...dirty socks?..." CLICK "...Oooooo!..." CLICK "...I keeps on looking, like a wiiiillldd..." CLICK "...")

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have only played ToB all the way through twice. I still get a kick out of Cespenar but must admit I do start clicking or entering. A few times is funny.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hehe, yeah... It does that allright -when you have concurrent romances active plus Imoen romance. I have love for you all. :grin:

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, just got nailed by a bunch of statues. But Minsc's Greater Whirlwind does rock. It's very cool how we can go keep going back to the pocket plane / Cespenar, and sell stuff to the Helm people outside whilst we wander through this Watcher's Keep.

Main problem is I bet I end up getting Cespenar to make stuff that I don't really need.

7. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Heh, I think you have 2 bags of holding by this time, and money is no big problem if you pick up every pieces on the road :D

aww, come on, I know a dual weilding FoA and Crom Feayer looks silly, but just an amulet please... :grin:

8. Harbourboy

Seeing as we never saw any sign of anything called Crom Faeyr in our adventure through Shadows of Amn, the point is moot in this case.

9. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

:eek: :confused: it's a war hammer of great power. I'm pretty sure you're wearing some of its components.

10. Harbourboy

Yeah, I've gathered that it is a powerful weapon, but like that paladin sword thingy, we somehow managed to miss it. But that is not surprising, because, quite rightly, the really powerful magic stuff is supposed to hidden in such a way that you don't just trip over it walking down the street. Actually, I'm amazed that we ever found Celestial Fury as we only wandered into that building by accident. The only one of those awesome weapons that we couldn't help but find was Flail of Ages because that was part of Arya's fighter stronghold quest.

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Oh come on, everybody knows that the best way to take on wraiths is with 'Turn Undead'. Nifty little thing, and at high levels like this, it will allow for some breathing room.

Or maybe just you and I knew that NonSequitur... :D

12. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hehehe, i remember how suprised i was when i found it accidentaly on my second run through the game. Another "secret" of the game revealed, or so i thought ;)

Anyway, i'm playing somewhere along the same path as you Harbourboy. Just completed the second level of the Keep yesterday. The whole keep'll prolly fall today :)

13. Omnipotent Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Harbour boy, go back and make Crom Faeyr, once youve had it youll never play BGII again without assembling it for one of yer warriors.

Dont wanna spoil too much but the fact it grants 25 strength automatically means yer melee fighter will be awesome as he can be.

Give it to a duel-wielding berzerker dwarf (Korgan etc) in main hand and when u get Axe of unyielding +5 put that in main hand and hammer in of hand......

Keep checking yer kill count in the Characters stats compared to the 'other' memebers...........

14. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Hmm, first time I played I did assemble it and regretted it straight away. I had no one with hammer proficency and I just lost two great items. Besides, even now, I usually give it to Viccy and not to a fighter.

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Not going to happen. HB has stated that several times.

Besides, it's not that clear cut that assembling Crom Faeyr is always the best thing. It depends on what (kind of) characters are in the party.

16. Lord Sven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Anomen can use the buffs given by Crom Faeyr quite well...

I tried also to dual wield it with the upgraded runehammer, but I'm still not sure whether that is the best way to go...

17. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I actually never assembled the Crom Faeyr, even in those games I found it... I preferred all in the party to have 18+ Str from the items that assemble it.

18. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

@Lord Sven
    Anomen is not in Harbourboy's party.

19. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Some of this "advice" is puzzling. In addition to his role-playing commitment and not having anyone in his party to actually benefit from Crom Faeyr, you can't go back to get it. And if you've read any of his posts, you know Harbourboy is not going to cheat an item into his game.

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

True, but assuming that it was possible to validly obtain Crom...it still isn't worth it.

Think about it, most of the time, the only people who take hammers as proficiency are divine casters, as they're forced to take blunt weapons, and the only good profs. in that are Flails for FotA, and Hammers for CF.

And Divine Casters can get 25 STR EASY!! DUHM, Righteous Magic etc...so why bother??

Give the items used to assemble CF to your other tanks, who use Katanas and Long Swords, and Two Handed swords and what not!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.