1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fiends are evil.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tressym, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Tressym Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Two questions, both refering to the third level of Watcher's Keep.

You know that room with all the baaezu? Well, first they ask me to find the local tanar'ri leader and kill it, but once i agree to the mission, they start a new dialogue, say something obscurely rhimed about betrayal not being unexpected among fiends made of naught but lies {don't recall the exact wording}, and instantly attack.
    Are they doing it because they realize i'm CG? If so, why propose me the deal in the first place? Is the deal just a ruse to win innitiative or something, in the first place? Or are there some circumstances, in which you'd actually be able to make a deal with them?
    Kinda makes you ponder whether that rhyme referred to the tanar'ri, meaning they conclude you are already working for the latter.
    In the first dialogue, they say "there is no bloodwar on you" before proposing you the deal, and when you later find the tanar'ri, they say you bear the taint of the bloodwar, and conclude that you work for the baatezu. Would i be able to get a working deal, if i were to find the tanar'ri first, since they are closer to my allignment? Or is there really no other way around those two groups but to slay them all in straightforward battle?
    Also, these two groups have one of the other two gems each, right? :=/

The second question is about the cambion.
    Is that just me, or are the card game's results fixed? Whenever i gamble for a given item, i always get the same result, for both my card and his. Do the wish scroll and spectral brand {wtf is this latter, btw?} even exist? They aren't on his body, when you kill him. And is there no way to pass without battling him?

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You need to be of an evil alignment to get the deal with either the tan'nari or the baatezu. Working for one negates working for the other.

I thought the Deck of Many Things was random.

3. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you are good aligned, you can't get a deal neither from tana'ri, neither from baatezu. I don't know about CG, never play it until now :p When I was paladin, they went straight for the attack. When I was NG bouny hunter, they considered it a little, and attacked on the end. Maybe your chaotic nature poses a problem to them ;) Maybe tana'ri would ended be better for you, althought no good character would work willingly with demons OR devils. You'll probably have to fight with both of them.

About the cambion: yes, you can win Wish scroll and spectral brand(which is a scimitar btw), with a wee bith of luck :p You can just try playing save/load tactics, that should get you somewhere. And to win, bet your way out, and loose, he will left, and you won't have to fight him.

4. Tressym Gems: 5/31

I've been load-scumming for like half an hour. Whenever i bet for the Brand, it's Guile for me {bunch of assasins with potions of invisibility attack} and Construct for him {adamantite golem attacks}, the latter being a higher card. When i bet for the scroll, it's always Plague for me {something happens, possibly a desease i save against} and Empress for him {True Seeing on himself}, again his being higher. Donlt recall what the gem does, as i only tried it twice or thrice, but it also seems set, my card being pretty inconsequential but higher than his.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

You have a low chance of winning in the gamble, so it is likely that you draw the same crappy cards most of the time. Keep reloading if you desperately want the wish scroll or spectral brand, althoght I must admit it is not that great in the way of role-playing, if you care.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Regarding the demons, I always work for the second group for three reasons:

1. They're less picky on your alignment.
    2. They're on the way out, so you don't have to backtrack.
    3. They will bargain even with an LG (I think) if you already have what they want.

Just kill the first set on your way, and give the heart to the second group when you get there.

On the Deck, I've found the RNG (random number generator) in the game depends on events. If you do things in exactly the same order, the exact same thing will happen. Try moving a character around a bit before talking to Aesgareth, and you'll get a different result.

7. Tressym Gems: 5/31

I used differnt characters to approach him - shouldn't that count?

8. Felinoid

Possibly. But if it's not working yet, try other combinations. And don't rush. For all I know it may be time-based rather than event-based; I only know that doing things different results in a different outcome.

9. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Deck Of Many Things has fixed paths, if I'm not mistaken. There are random choices, and the choice you get gives a new path that has also random choices, but not the same you would get with the another choice. So it's fixed.

I seem to recall SP having a list of the choices. I think you can find it in the (not in the forums) Game section, BG2, Tips, Tricks and Hints. Or then it was some of the other places in BG2 section...

10. Felinoid

The "fixed" paths are related to how many bets you've made. Within each, there are two choices for your card, determined randomly, and two choices for your opponent's card, again determined randomly. So even with a RNG 'reset' or however you want to call trying to get a different outcome, you still have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the same exact outcome.
    That's for after you get the deck away from Aesgareth, using it in a quick-item slot. I don't believe anyone's written up anything about the before part when you're betting on it with the cambion. (Though I have a vague recollection of kuemper talking about doing something on the Deck... :hmm: )

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I find the subject of this thread offensive!! Generalizing that fiends are evil, when perhaps many are merely just misunderstood.

/runs off and hides

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Deck of Many Things guide by Kitrax, near the bottom of the page, is the only guide I've seen written about the DoMT. It has been updated, but it only deals with the Deck after you get it from the cambion.

13. Gorilym Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As I recall, I've at least ones "dealt" with the baatezu as a good character (CG, I think) - I believe the crucial factor was that I'd already killed the tanar'ri and was carrying its heart. I didn't actually agree to anything, when the rhymey fellow noticed the heart he took it, gave me my reward and that was the end of that. Well actually, I killed him and his minions to end up with both hearts - how dare he presume that I'd go along with his grisly barter? :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.