1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A funny thing happened on the way to dual-classing

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by NonSequitur, Aug 25, 2004.

1. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this...

For the sake of completeness, I decided to play through SoA with a female character, romancing Anomen (I know, I know, but humour me). I started off as a NG Kensai, and dual-classed to thief at level 12. After some time, the romance dialogues had not progressed after Anomen had gained his knighthood, so I checked the romance variable and found it was set to 3 (romance dead). I checked the Romance Guide, and sure enough, the options I'd selected should not have killed the romance, but there it was, plain as day, stuck on AnomenRomanceActive=3...

Why would anyone want to put themselves through this for Anomen? Call me a completist, call me a masochist if you will, okay - I just want to see how bad it can get.

I'm now proficient enough with the console to get things running again (I think!), but I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else when dual-classing a character in a romance?

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Nope, haven't seen it, but then I don't dual class since ToB came out. Romances can turn to 3 for some strange reasons though. :grr:
    What makes you think dual classing is the reason?

3. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Nope, never happened to me. Those few times I tried Anomen romance I ended up killing him pretty quickly :evil: . Besides I rarely use dual class... IMO multi classes are better.

4. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I never dual class, as I'm a multiclassing kind of gal, but the one time I romanced Anomen I was a single class "drow" (elf with coloring) stalker and I had a devil of a time trying to get that romance to work. I would get the initial talks but I could never get his quest to start, and ended up having to tinker under the hood. Then he kept falling out of love with me. It couldn't have been mod weirdness because that was my very first time through the game, and I never use mods my first time through a game.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have taken it as a sign from Hanali Celanil that Anomen was the wrong guy for me. Sola and I were meant to be! :p

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

A couple of reasons: before I dual-classed (as in, 5 seconds before) I got another lovetalk. Prior to that, I hadn't toyed around with the romance at all. Secondly, maybe it was because I dual-classed to thief and Anomen has a rather large pole up his butt about law and honour. I'm not usually a dual-classer, but I thought "what the hell, may as well", and it fitted the character even though she was a kensai. Just so happened that the first time I did this, the romance dropped out.

Dual-classing is really annoying me, since I probably waited too long to dual (at level 12 as a kensai); I'll only do it from level 9 from now, I think. It's unlikely to be mod trouble, since I only have a few installed (Tactics, Sola, Valen). But hey, it's all sorted out now thanks to some console chicanery.

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Fighters should wait until level 13 to dual class, IMHO. You didn't wait long enough! ;)

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Extremely off-topic (but hey, it's my thread): You get the extra proficiency, the Kensai and Berserker get an extra use of their abilities (and the Kensai gets +4/+4 to hit/damage) at level 12. An extra -1 to THACO and 3 hit points doesn't seem worth the 250k XP or so needed to level up again.

8. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Firstly, the romance wouldn't stop because of dual-classing. There is nothing to say you can't romance him if a thief. The problem is usually dialog based and I quite often screw things up when I dont pay attention to the dialogs when I reply.

Seecondly, I personally never waint until L13 to dual-class. I am really impatient and dual at L7 or L9, never higher. For most classes Multi is better - especially F/T.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.