1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best and Worst mods...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mystra's Chosen, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think it means you won't get to see the scene with Khalid in Chateau Irenicus. It doesn't affect the rest of the game.

2. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Best mod:
    _ Virtue
    _ Unfinished Business (its well written so far)
    _ Dungeon Begone.

Worst mod (IMO):
    _ Kelsey (he just talk TOO much)

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Faragorn...

Dungeon-Be-Gone is nothing except what it says it is. All it does is teleport you to the end, give you XP and items then leaves you be. Nothing else is cut from the game.

There is another mod that cuts the cutscenes short, but I forget what the name is. It worked for me about 6 months ago (before my computer crashed). That was one thing I really like about ToB... no cutscenes, just dialogue boxes. (See how fast you can hit the Enter button, kiddies!)

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

MHmm... :yot: But is there a mod of sorts that allows clerics to use bladed weapons like swords?

If so, that'd be my favourite mod EVER ;)

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Good mods are all those that donate new content. :p

Better mods also do it by AD&D -rules (one that does not do this: Tactics)

Other than that, I cannot say which is the best, or which is the worst.

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

yay! Thanks CamDawg :)

Also, I think IcewindGate 2 looks very promising, but I haven't tried it out yet. (still in beta phase)

8. CamDawg

Glad to help. I always thought it odd that clerics can bash something into smithereens with a mace, but using a butter knife was against their ethos.

Personally, I prefer the mods that expand on the story and interaction, fix bugs, or tweak rules and restrictions. My standard, almost-always installed package is Dungeon-Be-Gone, Oversight, flirt packs, banter packs, Weimer's Item Upgrade, some NPC mods and some of Ease-of-Use.

I haven't had a chance to try Virtue yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Despite beta testing UB, I have not played the released version yet.

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Best:
    -Imoen Romance is very well written, and you don't have to romance her. I like.
    -Dungeon-be-Gone is insanely helpful for people with restarting syndromes like me.

Worst:
    -The old Nalia Romance. It was extremly shoddy and, well, shoddish.

10. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't get what is so bad with Irenicus dungeon. It has so strong atmosphere... (memories of horrors) WOW!

11. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Its boring and repetitive and easy. With the stronger classes it can be done in your sleep. Tactics makes it a lot more interesting but too difficult for an annoying first dungeon run, i beat it on tactics once and uninstalled the component.

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I remember when I had TDD installed Irenicus's Dungeon was beefed considereably. There were many multiple Ogre Berserker meetings and some new monster called a "Bugbear" which looked like a Hobgoblin but could deal damage quick and hard with missle and melee.

Could someone tell me what Tactics really does? Does it just make it harder, or does it give more XP, add items, NPC's, etc.? It sounds pretty good, but I hate installing things that suck... it just drains the fun.

13. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

From what I remember, Tactics adds several componants (best to select - 'ask about each one') that beef up everything from dragons to vampires. Irenicus' dungeon adds the Ilich upgrade that makes resting suicide.

14. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@ CamDawg what does Oversight do??

15. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Oversight adds an Improved Sendai and changes the alignments of some monsters, NPC's, etc. (like Neutral Paladins, good monsters). Some other stuff too which someone else can add.

16. CamDawg

Mystra hit the high point already, the alignment and class fixes. I would highly recommend Oversight for roleplayers, and a must for paladins. So many monsters are miscoded with screwy alignments (LG bandits) or have odd classes (goblin paladins). Weapons that depend on alignment (think Daystar or Equalizer) and spells such as Detect Evil or Know Alignment are worthless. It also comes with components for a handful of kits and some other tweaks as well.

I have to admit I have a soft spot for the old Nalia romance. It was buggy as all get out and Isaea Roenall's name is misspelled throughout, but it was the first mod I played. Well, tried to anyway. :)

17. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Are the new kits good and balanced?

18. CamDawg

Never tried them to be honest--I think it's a paladin kit and a bunch of cleric kits. I rarely play either class so I've never tried them out.

19. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My favourite mod is the "Xan" mod. Ahh... 'tis so good to have some cheerful optimism back in the group.

I don't have a "worst" mod. I read the descriptions and install only those that appeal. All have been good so far.

20. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I wish there was a mod that would take the best and most balanced kits out there and piled them on BG2. My favorite part of BG2 is the kits, and I've never figured out how to make or install them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.