1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jan or Imoen?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by dragoon169, Nov 28, 2003.

1. dragoon169 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

this has probably been done before but, who do you think is better? jan is a multiclass, so his theif abilities can still go up. imoen is dualed, and she might need potions of master thieveries but she can get higher mage spells...im having a tough time with this question. any opinions?

[ November 28, 2003, 22:44: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I say go for Jan, Imoen's thief abilities just won't cut it at later stages. If you really want someone to cast those higher level spells quicker, you can always pick up Aerie or Edwin as well.

3. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Definatly Jan for power and amusing dialogue. People don't like him but i'm a fan. :)

4. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

How many time's have people mentioned potion's of master theivery, ring of lock picks and ring of danger sense? with these three items there is no lock or trap Imoen can not handle
    Pick pockets?
    give her gloves of pick pocketing and some potions's

Detect Illusions?
    True sight.

Traps?
    Skull trap, Delayed blast fireball.

Hide in shadows/Move silently?

Invisibility spell/Staff of the Magi

The only advantage Jan has over Imoen is his theif ability's which Imoen is sufficent for with all of the above.

She can get to higer level mage ability's and can fill the role of a thief and a mage.

Want HLA traps(ToB)?

Put Haer Dalis in the spot Imoen conveniently free's up with her multi function role.

Anyone that think's Hare Dalis suck's because he is a Bard/Blade go to ToB forum and read the guide to Blade's posted by Scythesong Immortal then tell us what you think.

BTW there is an amulet in ToB that boosts Imoens theif skills enough to not need the ring of lockpicks or danger sense.

[ November 29, 2003, 05:18: Message edited by: casey ]

5. dragoon169 Gems: 3/31

yeah but if you give those items to her, she will not have space for more useful ones like amulet of power. also why haer'dalis? that means ill have to put another person on my team because i would not have a theif...i guess ill just go with jan and have edwin or aerie in my party to help compensate for jan's magic

edit**
    and if i decide to use imoen, where can i find the ring of danger sense and the ring of lock picks? also, do shops carry an infinite amount of potions of master thievery?

6. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Shops have a limited amount of potions and I know of none where you can buy infinate. I mostly use Jan as my main theif and backup caster and have Imoen as well as a main caster.
    In my opinion - take both.

:edit:

Jan eventually becomes more powerful if you have the XP cap removed / Expansion installed.

7. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ring Of Danger Sense: Planar Sphere, engine room (where you dump the demon's heart).

Ring Of Lockpicks: Shadow Thieves' Guild, docks district. Go through the Shadow Thieves' training grounds and find a thief who asks you to help assassinate Aran Linvail. The ring is on his body.

You haven't asked about the Gloves Of Pickpocketing. They're in Yarin's room upstairs in the Copper Coronet.

There are more than enough potions of Master Thievery to be had from various merchants - just look around.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

casey, you might want to remove those ToB spoilers before Tal finds out about them.

Who to take really depends on what you want your thief to do. If all you want is someone to unlock things and detect/disarm traps, then Imoen is fine (you don't even need potions or thievery items). Jan can detect illusions and steal, so take him if that's what you want. Both can backstab very well, but I think Jan has a higher modifier.

Chris, you forgot about a couple items in Suldanesselar that help thieves.

9. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Take Jan
    he is a multi class so both of his abilities will go up
    he is a pretty good theif and a good definsive mage(like invisibility 10' radius,mirror image,ghost armor,etc.)
    so take jan

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Jan is a much better Thief.

Imoen is a much better Mage.

What does your party need? Most people will tell you that you really need one single-classes mage if you want to play TOB.

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Jan. If your really strapped for cash, can Imoen make things to sell once a day? Didn't think so. And yes, there are much better reasons than this.

12. dragoon169 Gems: 3/31

well, ive decided on this team, and i just got flail of ages and celestial fury:
    me-->berserker
    minsc
    aerie
    yoshimo
    anomen

so i have the last slot for...will the moderators care if i put him name in?well...mr.ToB(and yes i do have ToB) im replace minsc with keldorn, or have him till ToB then replace minsc with ...that guy...what do you guys think i need, jan or imoen?

EDIT**
    oh and when my berserker reaches lv.20, i might dual him to theif, maybe mage...maybe that will help

13. Dante121 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Best is Jan because he has a cool storyline through the game, maybe the best. And also is a better theif. Eventhough Imoen is a better wizard, if you have Edwin you have fireball and sunfire demon.

14. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31

Well, since you have Yoshimo, you could take both since that thing happens with him. I'd take Imoen for now though, since she'll get more EXP while she's with you and Jan will automatically go up to about your EXP amount when you get him. Just a thought. I hope I did not say too much...

15. dragoon169 Gems: 3/31

lol ive beaten this game before :p , i know im gonna have to substitute yoshimo later, and i cant have both since i wanna get S*r*v*k...lol

16. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31

Eh, well I was not completely sure if you had, so I made sure you did not really know what was going to happen in case you had not. From the way I read it, it looked like you said something a long the lines of "Substitute Minsc with Keldorn OR Mr. ToB". My bad on the misread then. You can always take both until then :p

But anyway, I think you should take Jan, he is better in melee with his higher hit points, better thieving abilities, higher backstab, and does he not have ** or *** or some such in crossbows?

17. dragoon169 Gems: 3/31

everyone thanks for the opinions! i guess ill go pick up jan right now, im gonna give him the assassin's dagger(i think its a freedom's reign item that a 20% chance of panicking the target or something) so i can put his backstab to use and make sure mages wont bother me during battle :) minsc is getting so annoying...cant wait for keldorn...You and Boo and I, Hamster and Rangers EVERYWHERE...REJOICE!!! SHUT UP

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.