1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What kind of D&D creature should have been in the game?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Kitrax, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, we all know that there could have been a lot more D&D creatures added to BG2, but which do you think should have been in the game to begin with?

My list:
    Driders - there should have been at least a few of them near Ust Natha, or in Sendai's lair.

Giants...Frost, Cloud, Storm, or Hill Giants would be nice. Fire giants just aren't enough for me.

Devils...Ice, Horned, Barbed, Bearded, or an Erinyes here and there would be cool.

Plane touched...Tiefling, but especially an Aasimar. I think planitars are cool, but since most are too powerful, these two will do.

And just for kicks, a Tarrasque...right in the middle of Amn! :rolleyes:

How about you guys? Try to keep your ideas connected to D&D creatures/monsters. :rolling:

2. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Ummm... I think a Tarrasque would take away from the whole "children of Bhaal running amok" theme of the games. Maybe someone could make a mod including one of these babies - for all those "invincible" character out there to get slaughtered by.

I would have loved to see:

1. a Hydra of some kind, maybe in Abazigal's lair or the Druid Grove (or as part of the Ranger stronghold quests, terrorising the Umar village)

2. Hook Horrors in the Underdark (instead of Kuo-Toa in the main screen down by the Beholder and Illithid caverns)

3. Spectres or some other powerful, ethereal undead. I know people hate level drain, but including them in the Graveyard quests would have been awesome.

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Hmm... I'd really like to see a dragon. Oh wait. Those are everywhere. Nevermind.

4. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sorry for my terrible ignorance of such a commonplace thing but what exactly is a Tarrasque

5. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I would have like to see a Storm Giant or Cloud Giant, since the frost giants are covered in IWD.

All the other cool monsters I've ever heard of are there.

6. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i't can "easily" be made with a Mod, not by me though....

Balle

7. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I would have liked worgriders like those in IWD2.

The basilisks from BG1 I also missed, why o why doesn't any deranged mage had one as a familiar or pet? :(

A Bulette, or landshark, would be very interesting since it can eat mansized creatures up in one bite :smile:

I really would have liked to see flying creatures in the game aswell as the FLY spell, but that's probably not possible with the engine.

And a deepspawn! That would be a great quest to slay such a beast!

An entire clan of grimlocks, working for the mindflayers would be a welcome variation of the kua-toa in the underdark. Maybe throw in some cloakers or even entire conclave!

Ogre-mages were a pretty good challenge in BG1 but now you only meet one! And that's in the first dungeon! (okay and one in some other quest, but he's not really an enemy). And you still find a arrow of ogre mage slaying, but you can't use it. And they're pretty tough to kill, with regenration and even cone of cold.

Maybe some oozes or cubes that have a chance to desintegrate armor or weapons, just think about facing one of these things and losing crom faer or celestial fury!

And ropers should not be not used inthe underdark, they rock!

And nearing the end of my monstrous manual I would really liked to have seen a purple worm!

@thyorna: A tarrasque is a killing machine, pure and simple. Immune to most spells, with a lot of hitpoints and powerfull attacks.

"The legendary tarrasque, for there is fortunatly only one known to exist, is the most dreaded monster native to the prime material plane. The creature is a scaly biped with two horns on its head, a lashing tail, and a reflecting carapace.

Normal attacks are with its two forelimb claw, a sweeping tail lash, a savage bite (that also acts like a sword of sharpness) and two trusting horn attacks.

It causes fear and any under 3HD flee automatticly (no st), those between 3 and 7HD just flee, and those above 7hd gain a st but often also flee!

The tarrasque is immune to all heat and fire and it regenerates lost hitpoints at a rate 1hp per round. Only enchanted weapons have any hopes of harming the tarrasque. The tarrasque is totally immune to psionics.

The tarrasque carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective. Bolts and rays suchs as lightning bolts, cones of cold and even magic missiles are useless against it. The reflection is such that 1 in 6 of these attacks actually bounce back directly at the caster, while the rest bounce off harmlessly to the sides and into normal air."

It's a monster that's 50' long and to kill it you have get it below -30hp and used a specificly worded wish-spell.

And if that's not enough to show the lethalness of this beast: it worth 107000XP!

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You forgot that it also has around 800+ hit points...

I agree that the Tarrasque would have been the ultimate challenge in TOB. Probably much more powerful than even Demogorgon.

Hydras would have been cool too.

Kitrax, I believe there were a few tieflings in Watcher's Keep, on level 3 IIRC.
    As for the Driders, from the point of view of the plot it would be difficult to explain why they would ally with Sendai (her being a drow).

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Maybe a Side Quest involving Driders in the Underdark? You being sent to put down their colonies/caverns whatever by the Matron mother instead of Kuo Toas? God knows THEY are boring enough to be done away with.

Does anyone have any links to a picture of a Tarrasque? I can't seem to find any with Google, and I really want to know what one looks like...

10. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ziad is right, there are tieflings in Watcher's Keep. There are also erinyes. And it's not too hard to imagine powerful drow forcing driders to serve them, since that's sort of how it works in D&D lore in the first place--just throw the ungrateful beasts in a pit, followed by tasty PCs.

As for monsters I'd like to see, Secret of the Silver Blades had a slew of petrifying enemies. I'd like to see medusa and basilisk in this game (purple worm was a great vote too).

11. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Tarrasque as you asked :)

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

@Eric Xanthus - and cockatrice too!

It'd be nice to see dragon hatchlings and adult dragons too, rather than just the ancient ones.

And why not hostile shambling mounds? They already made them summonable from that druid staff. It shouldn't be too much more work...

And like people said already, more underdark monsters like the ropers, hook horrors and Yochols (sp?). They would have been more fitting than the ones there right now. Beholders, Koa Toa and Mind Flayers aren't exactly the most native creatures to the underdark, at least compared to the ones left out IMHO.

13. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

There is at least one hostile Shambling Mound you can fight; Nyalee summons it in ToB.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Whoa....I had a look at that Tarrasque creature.

Reading the thing's stats and abilities, I doubt its possible to even bring it down to badly injured, even if you had a full party of lvl 50 sorcerers and fighters and inquisitors and what have you.

HOW are you supposed to beat that thing?

15. Kitrax

Media:
    @NonSequitur, although Specters would be cool, they wouldn't be in the graveyard. Specters usually are found where their mortal body died.

Hook Horrors would be awesome...and I think a mod could create them in the game since a bone golem looks like a hook horror...well sort of.

@Ziad, I was not implying that the Driders would be allies...more like prisoners used as traps, (intruders fall in to pit filled with Driders...intruders get eaten.) :rolling:

16. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@Kitrax

Kind of like the sucker things in the planar prison right?

17. Kitrax

Media:
    @Jag, pretty much...though a pit covered with twigs and an illusion spell would work better IMO.

On the low-level side: where are bugbears? I hate hobgoblins, bugbears would be a nice change. :rolling:

18. Arath Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Driders would most likely not be helping drow as they despice the drow above all... and the drow finds them(the driders) to be the ultimate perversion... so them working together would probably be rather farfethed.
    the possible way of doing this would be to make a valley of driders. that is how it is in the "stories", driders are banished, or goes there themselves to distant places, as outcasts with no other wish than to kill :cool: could be fun though.

19. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think the main reason they did not include more creature types, is the trouble of making all the animations for each creature. I wish it was unlimited and they had many more types. Some mods re-use existing creature animations, but change the color and give it a different name and totally different stats, to represent another creature type. It's OK, but it would be great to have more creature models.

20. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

slaads, purple worms, more giant kin. The idea of a tarrasque is interesting but out there. But mostly, I would have to say(not a monster). Artemis Entreri, when reading the cheat guide it showed we may have had the oppurtunity to fight him. but then I found out it was a possibility but never came to be. bummer

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.