1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ring of Gaxx is broken?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by HypoThermia, Nov 24, 2001.

1. HypoThermia Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I've taken my party through from the start of BG2 and into TOB, having obtained the Ring of Gaxx (two damage with the mace of disruption and a saving throw failure by the demi-lich!)

Unfortunately I've just noticed that the character wearing it is taking poison damage. While there is a poison resist icon, I can't see a poison resistance at 100% on the character stats page.

I've tried taking off all other items to see if there's a clash (using Mazzy), with no result.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Satanatron Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] No, I have never had that occour before (and all my characters in the party have one Gaxx ring each). Man that's really terrible. BG2 is notorious for these types of odd buds. Only thing I can say is get the latest patch. If it still is broken, then shit man, tough titties I guess. Try and grin and bear it.

Eventually your characters get strong enough to avoid poisoning and disease anyways.

S

3. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

Man, you were really lucky Kangaxx failed his save in demilich form.

I actually thought he was immune to the Mace of Disruption's secondary effects on the Undead. Everytime I play the game, all my blows with that mace and never even once did he fail to make his save (in DemiLich form).

The way I see it, if you've really really earned the ring of Gaxx honestly without cheating, throw it away and use the CLUA console to spawn a fresh one.

Who knows, the newly spawned ring might do what it's supposed to (you'll have to identify it first).

Talking about bugs, the most infuriating one I encountered was the invincible Gaxx in normal Lich form. I could get him to near death but that bugger refused to die after 10 minutes of constant hammerings with the Mace of Disruption.

Only happened once though, and yes, my game's patched.

4. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Yeah well, next time just use a protection from magic scroll. When you do, Kangaxx is nothing more than a joke.

5. HypoThermia Gems: 1/31

Well I've tried using Infinity Explorer to look at the item stats and compare them to the Periapht of Poison Resistance. The latter has a "remove icon" flag that's missing from the ring.

Unfortunately the editor doesn't seem to allow you to manually change values in items - a small omission in an otherwise excellent tool. I've tried hex editing to add flags in to make it more like the periapht and putting the item in the override file, but with no success. Obviously I didn't do it right (no crashes, but the correct item effect wasn't there either).

As you say, poison seems to matter less and less at higher levels (with a few exceptions). I've got 100% poison resistance on my tanks (either naturally or from other resist items) and a few antidote potions lying around just in case, so it really isn't a problem. The old BG issue of "no pause on the inventory screen" has gone, so items can be freely passed around too.

Still.. the hp regeneration is working perfectly so it's a powerful and useful item so far as I'm concerned.

Version is 2.5.26498, which I believe is the most recent no-alpha patch.

Thanks for your replies.

[minor spoilers ahead]

The demi-lich failure caught me by surprise, but it was late in the game (chapter 6) with the improved +2 version. I didn't have the courage to reload and try again :D

6. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

Not to worry, if the bug doesn't kick in, the DemiLich will be a piece of cake if you use one of the following scrolls:

1) Protection from Undead. He won't even notice it if you make monkey-faces at him.

2) Protection from magic or the mage spell spell-immunity: Abjuration to counter those nasty imprisonment spells.

[This message has been edited by HunterByNite (edited November 24, 2001).]

7. Satanatron Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Has any one had that bug where 2 demi-Kangaxx's spawn instead of 1! Geez, now that is what I call a definition of fun!

S

8. Hmm, can't say I have. I thought the only way to get 2 rings of Gaxx was to pickpocket him first THEN kill and loot him. But this was fixed in the patch, saddening all cheaters. GOOD FOR THEM! Maybe they'll learn to play fair next time.

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    My ring is whacked, too. Found out yesterday. In a bad way.

Ara
    (Feeling old... too bod)

10. Lord Sarevok Guest

Jesus, do you really need six rings of Gaxx? One is more than enough of a reward for me. I just killed both of the liches and got his bones by the way. Preparing to kill the bastard himself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.