1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Powergaming the Protagonist: Help me decide!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I'd like to know, which of the following 3 characters seems to be the most powerful.

1)Ranger/Cleric Multi-Class. This character would have to be Half-Elven, which has some benefits. A R/C gets both Druid and Cleric spells. Multi-Class means that levels advancement will be slowed down, though. Character has max ** in all blunt weapons, and *** in Two Weapon Fighting (gets ** free from the Ranger class). This character may also be able to get HLAs from both classes, while I'm uncertain if the two options below would have access to "Warrior HLAs"

2)Ranger->Cleric Dual-Class. Humans are the only ones who can Dual-Class. Character would be able to learn both Druid and Cleric spells. Advancement is quick, but there is a long "holdover" period from when the clases are switched (depending, of course, on when the player decides to switch classes. Level 9 or 13 seem most optional). Character has max ** in all blunt weapons, and *** in Two Weapon Fighting (gets ** free from the Ranger class).

3)Fighter(Berserker)->Cleric Dual-Class. Human, of course. This character doesn't gain Druid spells as #1 and 2 do, but the Rage ability from the Berserker class offers this character many good protections. Advancement is a little bit faster than the R->C DC, because Fighters advance faster than Rangers. There is a long "holdover" period from when the clases are switched (again, level 9 or 13). Character does not gain the free ** in TWF, which is something I want for this character (Crom Faeyr + anything -- I am powergaming here) as the two above do. On the flip side, this character can gain Grand Mastery ***** in any blunt weapon.

Of course, picking a Protagonist also has a lot to do with who will be in the party. Here is my party list:

Jaheira
    Keldorn
    Nalia
    Jan

It's only 5 total characters (I plan on filling the 6th slot with individual quest NPCs, and probably Anomen or Viconia for a while to help with the Clerical abilities a bit if I go with #2 or 3). Level advancement will be a little bit quicker this way, and I think a smaller party would be more fun for me.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 13 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Powergaming the Protagonist: Help me decide! (13 votes.)

Powergaming the Protagonist: Help me decide! (Choose 1)
    * Ranger/Cleric Multiclass - 62% (8)
    * Ranger/Cleric DualClass - 23% (3)
    * Berserker/Cleric DualClass - 15% (2)

2. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Dual-classed Ranger/Cleric. All 3 are excellent, so it was not easy to decide. Switch at level 13.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Given the members of your party, then it's got to be the R/C multi-class, as I think you need some extra tankage in that party. The warrior class HLA's are crucial for the TOB part, as most of the cleric HLA's just blow.

(If you were solo'ing, the R/C multi-class is the hands down winner. I took that character through the game solo "Iron Man" (i.e., no reloads, dead is dead, game over) and had only a couple of moments of doubt the entire time. Put simply, the warrior class HLA's made the entire difference.)

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'd go for ranger/cleric multi.

If dual, ranger(7)/cleric. Level 13 is only +1/2 attack and some proficiencies more, while it costs whole million XP more than level 7. You need also another million (or more, I think) to get a cleric level high enough to regain what you earned as a ranger.

5. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

R/C Multi. Once you get Greater Whirlwind + the spell power of a druid and a cleric you will be absolutely unstoppable. Plus they get VERY nice stats rolls, so it won't take you long to get 90+ stats.

6. Magic Snack Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I played a R/C dual once and it was a blast, but I was more concerned with spells than fighting. There's just something very satisfying about having every divine spell at your command (except for the evil ones). I think the superior casting you get from more exp allotted to your cleric class outweighs the warrior HLAs.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I think I'll go with the multiclass.

Although Dual Classing is probably more powerful, I can't stand playing "catch up" with my abilities.

I also really want the warrior High Level Abilities.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.