1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing Draconis

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by David, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

remember casting improved alacrity before casting timestop, makes the entire progress go faster.

Though send some fighters with greater whirlwind, while pinning down his spell protections with breach/ruby ray (spell strike if has many) from afar and he should go down fairly easy

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Notice the use of "should" and "fairly" ;)

Bwahahaha <evil Draconis laugh>

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited August 28, 2001).]

3. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've found that when I cast Improved Alacrity before Timestop, the Improved Alacrity runs out at least a round before Timestop. Whereas if you cast it after the Timestop, you get a round or two afterwards to keep pounding. At any rate, I didn't find Draconis that hard, even solo. A solitary Planetar took out his human form, and then good ol' Timestop...

4. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Bloody dragon. Human form, no problem, but that bloody dragon. I hate reloading. I usually don't care when NPC's die, but ALL of them at ONCE?? I'm doing something wrong. At least summoning one Pit Fiend to wail on Draconis and his friends while I stand back and pick my teeth seems to be working, but that bloody dragon.... cloudkill, lower resistance, pierce magic... he's killin' me. Back to the drawing board.

5. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Notice the use of "bloody" and "wail" ;)

Bwahahahaha <improved evil Draconis laugh>

Wow a year later. And Draconis is still a pain in the arse. My recent ToB endeavor (insane difficulty, 4 generated chars of my own) was fun. But yeah top three pain in the arse awards go to Draconis, Abizigal, and Melissan. And it's not character deaths that get me all huffy, it character "wipe off the face of the earth" in one Dragon Breath that gets me. :p

6. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

When I first saw this guy he pissed me off.
    I played a multiplayer so this might have been easier since I made all these charachters:

My party and Levels:
    Padeen Dragonblade:Lv26 Cavalier
    Aeris:Sorceres Lv23
    Cocilius d'Imperium: Cleric of TalosLv28
    Rumina: Sorceres Lv23
    Caesarius Dragonblade: Ranger Lv
    Alala:ThiefLv29

I hade Cocilius get some major protections and send send Padeen agains Draconis. Padeen had 60% magic resistance and super save therefor the spels draconis casted on me didnt work that well.
    Before killing him m sorceresess each took a chain contigency of 2xLMR and a greater malison.
    When he morphed their triggers were unleashed on him and cocilis casted true sight. Flamestrike ,sunfire and chain lighning work wonders on this guy. I got Padeen with critical strike, haste and wirlwind attack and he started choping the dragon dealin 30 damage at each shot and 70 with criticals. My mages casted the spells I mentioned while alala and Caesarius shot poison arrows at him. Cocilius casted Flamestrike and occasionly healed. Draconis died in about twenty minutes and none of my people had died or gotten injured seriously(The invisible stalkers were killed my a deva I summoned!).

Paddy!

7. Lord Ogre Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I killed Draconis on the first try, without me loosing anyone...

Just summon 5 powerful creatures.

If you can't take his monk form, cast timestop before he does and then fire all kinds of magic missiles etc on him. When he turns into the dragon, do this again, but be sure he isn't invbisible at that time... He was with me, but I still beat him pretty easily...

Good luck!

Lord Ogre

8. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Draconis falls easily if you fight him with a mage or sorcerer. I have had a spell trigger with two lower resistances and one greater malison every time to shoot to the nearest enemy. If your mage/sorcerer wins enough time to cast time stop you can say you won the battle. Two chain contingencies with 3 horrid wiltings each and one dragon's breath can finish Draconis very quickly. In 3 rounds he usually lays dead. I don't have experience fighting him with warriors, clerics and rouges; he could be a real pain in the ass with his nasty tricks.

9. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] TIN_MAN is right. The easiest way to kill any dragon in BGII+ToB is using a wizard character.
    If somebody does not play with a Wizard, then he/she should use Edwin or Imoen, and in worst case Jan or Aerie.

[ September 17, 2002, 10:09: Message edited by: Baronius the Sorcerer ]

10. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Well, I like to make things difficult, I guess, and I'm currently playing a Skald character, which is neither here nor there. I'm on about level 30, which is about as useful as level 4 fighting or something, because I can't seem to hit goblins. To make matters worse, I'm not really much of a spellcaster because I cast at level 6 ability, which is alright for knocking around a few measely orcs, but this dragon is no pushover, so not having fun there either. I've tried lulling the beast to sleep, but I must have really pissed in his cornflakes, because he's pretty mad at me for some reason. Something about his father. I have three mages, Aerie, Nalia and a converted Sarevok (who's on about level 4 casting right now, about as useless as **** on a bull) who are about the most useless spellcasters in the game. Ol' stumpy can't seem to shutup about how glad she is to be adventuring with me, and someone named Chitiqua Southpaw, Sarevok is just an experience mooch right now until he can catch up to his fighter XP level (which will be precisely NEVER... what a boob I am to have dual classed him... don't do this), and Nalia can't seem to get her stuff together in time for the big dance. Gets snuffed before she can say a word.... sigh... eventually, I'll have my very own heroic tale to tell.. but until then, it's back to the drawing board. Can't count on that psycho Minsc to land a blow with the trusty vorpal when you need to.... Wait a minute! The dwarf! The dwarf will do it.

P.S. You know what's most interesting Baronius? Both you and Tin Man are from Hungary. I didn't think that this place had such a world wide appeal, but then again why not? You guys know each other by any chance? ;)

JS

[ September 12, 2002, 10:03: Message edited by: Julius Skull ]

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned the UBER Weapon against Draconis? JAN! By using his Detect Traps and thus his Detect Illusions, who cares how many Improved Invisibilities Draccy boy has?

Have your mages in the sides, far away from him, pelting him with breach and lower resistance and Pierce Shield, as well as Magic Missile

Have the tanks whirlwinding and hardined hitting him as much as possible, with LOTS of Potions of Extra healing in the Quickslots.

Ara
    (My ToB is gone... but the memory remains)

12. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Does the spell, "Find Traps" work just as well as the thief ability? Alas, I have no thief. (Thieves have not lasted long in my party, and I refuse to use Yoshimo.... well, I still have his heart preserved on my mantle above my fireplace. It's my prized posession)

13. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Just fire a Warding Whip, Pierce Shield, spelltrigger of three lower resistance, breach, then he's not that hard (apply to most other boss too)...

14. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Remember that in order to get these spells to cast at him (i.e. pierce shield and such) you have to be in range. And trust me, if you are in range to target him, he is in range to blast you with his breath in all of about 1 second. One second you're there casting your piece o' cake spells the next you are wiped off the face o' the earth. Stoneskin and mirror image matter not. You will be desecrated.

The key is to have enough fighter type chars and summons to be around him at all times. If he wing buffets and everyone get sents flying, and your mage/sorcerer/whatever is casting a spell, he or she suddenly becomes the target of a nasty dragon breath, that like I said, takes 1 second to execute. Literally one instant you're there and one you aren't. So don't make it sound like it's just a matter of lowering his resistance. Because that's bs. It takes careful planning of making sure you always have a fighter type closer to him than he is to your mage (which must be in range) and that if that fighter type is wing buffeted away you *immediately* have someone just out of range of the wing buffet but in range to get up there quick and take the heat off your mage. Of course your fighter type, has to be able to survive his breath too. If they are previously hurt from wounds and haven't had enough healing, they're toast as well.

To complicate the matter even more, whoever your True Sight character is, they have to be in range. If it's a paladin, fighter/cleric, fighter/druid, or such, they must be in range. Wing Buffet knocks them far away. And if your mage is the true sight person, they have to be in range as well, further making them suspect to dragon breath. And at any moment your true sight character is out of range, a mage's spellcasting is null because you can't targer invisible creatures.

So my point is, Draconis isn't impossible. But he's no cakewalk either.

15. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    On the true sight at range... Does casting True Sight nullify Sanctuary? a mage/cleric could do a combo....

Ara
    (Away from the game)

16. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Neat idea (if it works) - and what about casting Sanctuary after the True Sight? But do you get caught up in area effects (I haven't used Sanctuary much, and probably should)?

17. Big B Gems: 27/31

Casting True Sight on your side does not nullify sanctuary. But I am pretty sure even in sanctuary, area effect spells still hurt you, it's the being targeted yourself that doesn't happen. So you'd still have to watch out for wing buffet and dragon breath.

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

If the cleric is sanctuaried before casting it, yes. It should also remove any sanctuary effects on nearby enemies.

19. Big B Gems: 27/31

Just to clarify:

Correct, but the idea here is a mage/cleric or cleric casting true sight then sanctuary, not casting sanctuary and enemies dispelling it with True Sight. Your own True Sight does not nullify your own Sanctuary.

20. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] After several attempts, I've decided that party chemistry is the problem. My character is immune to the human drac, but the real deal is impossible for my Skald and his merry band of idiots (who are controlled by ?). Anyway, frustration is setting deeply now, but I'm resolved to accomplish this seemingly insurmountable task on a Friday night. (what a loser)I hardly get one of those off from work, and now that I have one, I can only sit around with a glass of wine and try to kill some pixels on my computer screen. Damn, I sure hope my girl comes back from Australia soon.

JS

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.