1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tower of Deception

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Toker, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Toker Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Hi everyone,
    i'm just getting stuck into this great mod and i'v hit a wall.
    The crystal shard thing and its protecter demon are completely invincible!
    I've tried hitting it with fire like the dryad suggested and this had no effect - in fact i've tried every spell and potion and +5 wepeons, i cant even srcatch it. Have i missed something obvious?

[ June 09, 2007, 20:36: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Razfallow Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You must kill Astral Shard Guardian first, then you can destroy Astral Shard itself.
    BTW do you face normal ASG or her improved version?

3. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Toker, the creator of the TOD mod mentioned in a previous post that the key to defeating the Astral Shard was obtusely mentioned in an earlier dialog. I actually played and beat the ToD a few days back, although I don't remember the dialog fragment that he mentioned. I defeated the shard's guardian fairly easily. Marileths are tough, but my party of 6 was well balanced and fairly powerful (all were around level 12-13, except Keldorn who was down around level 10-11 and only with the party temporarily), and I defeated it without too much difficulty.

I initially had the same frustration as you with the shard. I tried hitting it with my best weapons and some magic. Then I said, what the heck. Nalia asked everyone to pull WAYYYY back, and she cast a fireball at the shard and pooof! No more shard!

It should be noted that the shard guardian carried a rather suspicious item ;) that tipped me off. It carried a Necklace of Missiles. I also suspect that anything that produces a fireball would be sufficient to take out the shard; an arrow of detonation, a potion of explosions or firey burning, necklace of missiles, wand of fire, maybe even the potion of firebreath (or whatever it's called).

4. Toker Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I'm playing the improved version and still no luck. Merillith has magic resistance to all offensive spells and i cant target it directly as true seeing does nothing. By the time its invisibility wears off most of my team are dead. Even when i can target it my magics have no effect!Not fireball, not pierce magic, nothing!

5. Razfallow Gems: 6/31

She casts Spell Immunity:Divination at the beginnig, that's why True Sight has no effect. You could try to dispel her improved invisibility with thief's "Detect illusions" skill, with Remove/Dispel magic or with Glitterdust, but she has high magic resistance ...

But you can always uninstall this component. You don't get more XP or anything else for defeating her improved version.

6. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Oh, the Improved version. You're on your own, since I only played the normal version.

You can still hack away at an Imp Invis'd enemy after they've made their first attack. If you have Keldorn in your party, perhaps his powerful Dispel, Magic might do the trick. Or perhaps a weapon that dispels on any hit, like the Holy Avenger or the Staff of the Magi might help out, although unless you have a thief or ftr/thief with UAI, your mage may not have enough of a Thac0 to get a hit with the SotMagi, short of rolling a natural 20.

On a side note, I once tried to dispel something nasty on Jahiera with Nalia using the SotMagi, but poor Nalia couldn't lay a glove on Jahiera, even tho she was just standing around begging to get hit. Come to think of it, after a couple of rounds, Jahiera (still confused, after all) turned around and started swinging at Nalia. So, Nalia merely used the SotMagi's invis power and ran away. "Jahiera, heal thyself!"

OTOH, earlier in the same party, Anomen had been hit by some sort of stunning magic and after the battle was over, I had Nalia go over to him a whack him with the Magi stick to dispel the magic. There was something amusing about that situation. TWACK!!! Dispel this, Sir Anojerk! ;)

7. Valiant Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, that´s why this component is called "Improved Astral Shard Guardian" :) . She´s much more tougher than normal version. Do it like Razfallow has wrote, and you´ll beat her up...

8. Toker Gems: 3/31

Veteran

That spell immunity to divination is a great tactic. Is there anyway to counter it except dispell magic? This could make my mages even more annoying!

9. Razfallow Gems: 6/31

Glitterdust can reveal invisible charactars.
    And thief with decent Detect Illusions skill, can do it too.

Note: Improved Astral Shard fight will be tweaked in next version of ToD.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.