1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Backstab weapon of choice

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Trunculo, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Here's a question for all of you thief fans out there. I've searched the board and it seems that many folks prefer using a dagger for backstabing rather than a short sword. My question is why?

If we ignore strength and magical bonuses and assume a x5 backstab multiplier, it seems to me that the backstabbing dagger can do from 5-20 in damage (12.5 average). The short sword looks to be able to do from 5-30 (17.5). Just looking at the numbers, I can't see why you would ever use a dagger if a comparable short sword is available. Since all of the cool daggers I've found so far are something less than +3, it seems that the +3 short sword of backstabing is the logical tool of choice.

What am I missing? Please educate me. :)

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I think you are overlooking the fact of human stupidity :D :D :D

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I like the dagger´s better speed factor. If you´re a pure thief a shortsword would be the better choice for it give 1d6+X damage compared to 1d4+X gamage of a dagger.

I always used daggers to complement my C`Fury main weapon, so I didn´t need to take care of damage at backstabbing when needed. I can switch over whenever I like.

4. Trunculo Gems: 5/31

Ragusa - I get the speed factor thing as far as melee is concerned, but does it make any difference in the actual backstab?

By the way, yes - I do have a plain vanilla thief going (and a monk and a sorcerer - can't decide what I like best <g> ) and it seems his best tactic is to backstab the crap out of someone then run away and shoot arrows over the heads of Minsc and Anomen and Jaheira. A sneaky little, barely armoured halfling going toe to toe? No thanks! :)

5. Ragusa

Media:
    Not really. The backstabb makes it *sure* that you strike first and hard (due to the damage multiplier).

I found low initiative always then useful when my backstabbing failed ;) Oh yes, and I used my boneblade +4 on enemies I couldn´t hurt with C´Fury (like liches ...) - I used them not only as backstabb but as back-up weapons too ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 18, 2001).]

6. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

But Ragusa, there are a couple of short swords that have a speed factor of 1 or even 0, so I prefer the short sword...

7. Bruce the Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If u want a ULTIMATE back stabbing weapon, you need to look into the staff proficiency. The staff of striking has 1D6 + 9 damage and it count as a +3 weapon. its only disadvantage is charge limited, once the charge has run out the weapon is destroyed.

8. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why waste slots in lame weapons?

CF is the best backstabber there is! Up to 180 hit points! THAT will leave a mark on any beastie.
    (for most of the game anyways)

9. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I played an Evil Fighter/Thief one time through BG2 and his favorite backstabbing weapons were the +3 short sword of backstabbing and eventually the +4 Cutthroat sword. However he also used the daggers for the 'extra' gifts. Such as Mirror Image abilitiy, immunity to hold,etc. Some of those daggers are nice to have just because of their abilities. My Fighter/Thief had about 5 weapons of choice in his inventory at any given time...

Your math is right however, a short sword does more than a dagger, long swords more than short and so on.

10. Trunculo Gems: 5/31

Re: backstabbing with longer blades. I haven't found CFury yet. It is a nasty katana? I'll have to hunt that down.

I haven't played PnP for a *long* time, but it seemed to me that backstabs were limited to the daggers and short swords. So long swords (and katanas) can backstab now as well?

11. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Cesestial Fury is located in the Temple District, and a thief can backstab with any weapon he can use (just not missiles).

12. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I thought u could only backstab with daggerz and shortswords?

13. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] All right - the true reason for me using daggers for backstabbing is arrogance :D ... but it´s so satisfying to be able to say: "What? You weakling little kensai needed to use warblade on this lich? Bwahaha, I killed the wimp with my 1d4+4 boneblade dagger, harharhar ..." :D

Btw. for a usual thief I´d indeed suggest shortswords and longswords for this purpose ;)

14. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31

You can use the Celestial Fury as a backstabbing weapon, I often do and in my opinion is the best tool for the job "gamewise".

In keeping things sensible I personally think that B/S weapons should be restricted to daggers and shortswords only (preferably daggers only) as a longsword is too cumbersome. I'm reasonably sure that a longsword is regarded as a "slashing" weapon anyway. Let's face it, if you were really going to stab somebody I think most people would choose the dagger. Unfortunately :) the damage factor "ingame" dictates the use of a katana. Don't forget also that points attrbuted to a thiefs move silently and hide in shadows abilities affects his/her B/S success rate.

As a footnote: A katana in reality is a two handed sword.

15. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Now it seems to me that daggers and short swords are better weapons for the small people. A dwarf or halfling would most likely have to use two hands on a long sword...if this was so daggers and short swords would be very valuable to a small thief.

16. Ragusa

Media:
    From a roleplaying point of view you´re definitely right ... it would look strange IRL when a halfling (nonexistent ILR) would backstabb with a katana ... ;)

17. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

At least backstabbing with a greatsword won't work... *mutters something about BG1, +3 sword of berserking and Montaron*

18. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Weapons that cannot be used for backstabbing:
    Bastard Swords, 2 handed swords, Maces, Warhammers, Flails, Quarterstaffs and if I remember correctly, Celestial Fury is the only katana that can be used to backstab. Malakar +2 and the others are not suitable.
    Also, backstabbing cannot be done with ranged weapons, although it is possible in 3rd edition rules.

19. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes Shura, there´s one thing I always regretted when playíng BG-2 is that you can´t "backslap" with a mace, warhammer or an club, really sily for for an evil thug that would be a nice alternative to pickpocketing :D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 21, 2001).]

20. Lothar Gems: 5/31

Katana's are two-handed? I thought they could be used either with one or two hands. The katana and wak-sachi (sorry about the terrible spelling there) were the paired swords of samurai. I may be wrong, but didn't they wield one in each hand?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.