1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Contingency is most excellent

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Xaelifer, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] With the help of my best friend, Chain Contingency, I simply will not die.

How has it affected the rest of the world?

2. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Never get a chance to enjoy it except its junior, though just sucks IMO.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The spell is great. Some people still have to dicover how useful it can be.

4. Lord Sarevok Guest

Never use it, only sequencers. I cast spells as I need them. If you put it on attack as soon as something goes hostile with a fireball, I doesn't take into account that it's only a Goblin, or more importantly, that your party is standing right next to it. Sequencers do that same trick and you control when you cast them.

5. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Contingency is very useful in a defensive role and in that role it is a very powerful spell. That is why all of those high level mages you meet use it :)

It has saved my squishy mages several times.

Also, who says you have to sit around with an already cast contingency? The great thing about all sequencers/triggers/contingencies is that all spells are cast simultaneously and instantly.

If you really want to use it effectively in offense try this.

Get your mage to memorise chain contingency, and say three abi dalzims. Have your thief scout forward only to find that ahead are a seriously large pile of nasty enemies. Come back, get your mage to cast contingency and choose the three abi spells and set to cast on enemy sight and target nearest enemy. Grasp the staff of the magi and go invisible walk ahead and viola, a nice icebreaker for the party to come :D

Chain contingency will store spells of any level, trigger maxes out at lvl 6. How about storing timestop, improved alacrity and dragons breath? Then with the robe of vecna empty the rest of your memory at the enemy before the timestop ends :D

Finally, imagine this spell with the sorceror class :D, its always available and so is a very rich list of spells to put in too ;)

The possibilities of all of the sequencers/contingencies etc are only limited by your imagination ;)

Cheers,

Wittynewt.

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 24, 2001).]

6. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

With contingency, you odnt set it for fireballing. you set it to cast something like soneskin and both firesheilds when you get down to 25% hit points. It really saves you then.

7. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Wittynewt, Chain Contignency can't store level 9 spells, but who need that when three Abi Dalzim's works just as fine? :grin:

Also, those were ToB spells you mentioned, and you know that shouldn't be done here. ;)

Anyway, Chain Contignency is a great spell, but it can usually be replaced by a Timestop...

8. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi

Yep you are right, thanks for the correction. I have used it with abi dalzims but never with anything else. As I was writing the message I was thinking about possibilities and grabbed the manual to check the max lvl and it says "any level". Hence, I just threw my thoughts down without verification, Oops :D.

However, checking the ingame spell description just now it says 8th level. Yet another, difference between the manual and the game. :D

I guess they would have send the manual off to the printers way before releasing the game and came to the conclusion that allowing spells of any level would be too powerful. Such a shame, my mind was reeling with all of those 9th+ lvl spells I could stack ;)

As far as TOB spells go, well timestop is available in SOA, but yep the others are not.

To be honest I actually thought this thread was on the TOB forum and didn't check, afterall chain contingency is a ninth level spell and is only available in scroll form in SOA.
    The cap prevents you from reaching lvl 18 to be able to memorise lvl 9 spells.
    Of course, if you have TOB installed then no problem.

Well, if I get banned so be it :)

I don't think timestop replaces chain contingency though. I can only get off about 2.5 Abi Dalzims during a timestop, chain will give me three straight off.

You really do need to use that speed spell I can't mention to make full use of timestop :D

Cheers,

WittyNewt

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 25, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.