1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do blades get any good in Throne Of Bhaal

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eltharodo, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I tried playing with a blade through SoA (with the guide for tips), but found it quite tricky. I found it to become not as overpowered as some of the other classes can (fighter, mage,sorcerer etc.). Im gonna try going through Tob With it, but are there any decent, bard-only items that make life that bit more enjoyable. I orignally found watchers keep to hard to get through, so any items there are new to me. Any ideas?

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Bards suck imho but ToB will see your Bard become reasonably powerful but no, not as powerful as some of the other classes you mentioned.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I can't wait until Scythesong sees this post.

If you're soloing, you'll be pretty overpowered. If you're in a party, then I agree that Blades suck.

4. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Of course bards dont suck. They are not as overpowered as sorcerers, thats all. So what. I think they are extremely useful, not extremely powerful. Nonetheless, they could take on most classes. :grin:
    *ducks flames & fireballs*

On topic.
    You can get the Wonderous Gloves (find the Bards Gloves in Watchers Keep and Cespenar will upgrade them). They are bards only items. Additional spells, bonus to AC & Thaco, if I am not mistaken.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well mate, I'm not sure if you are totally against cheese or not...anyway, I'll just post my two cents here. I have played a solo Blade (with ToB installed of course) through SoA and ToB, also after reading Scythesong's guide! :)

Anyway, I couldnt play him through ToB because gameplay got SO boring!! He had godly stats with (IIRC) 19 in CON, 19 in DEX, 20 STR. He had something like 10 Spike Traps, 2 or 3 Time Traps, Improved Bard Song and Use Any Item.

Whenever he came across a mage, he'd whip out Carsomyr +5 or even Staff of the Magi to dispel all their protections. I used SotM when I needed the invisibility, Carsomyr when I needed the THAC0 boost.

True, a lot of the Blade's power comes from his items...but WHAT awesome power he can have in TOB!

Once you get Improved Bard Song, abuse it! Abuse it how much ever you can! Use all your spell slots for Mislead and maybe one Prot. from Magic Weapons and one Improved Haste.Use your Mislead clones to sing away! Also use the Simulacrum from Vhailor's Helm to sing away!

If you can get about five clones singing...man, you have a LOT of bonuses...like Scythesong said...you could use Aerie and beat down Dragons with a plain ol' Quarterstaff!

Abuse your higher character level...use Skull Traps instead of Fireballs, Remove Magic instead of Breach, etc etc. Mirror Image will last all day once you hit lvl 20! (almost)

Well...the point is, you dont NEED specific Bard Items. You can use all the items there are in the game! Use them to obliterate enemies!

I hope I didn't sound too much like a Blade fanboy...but those guys rule! Scythesong's got me converted now... :D
    :cool: :cool: :cool:

6. Magic Snack Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@ Faraaz -
    Wow, that's quite a list. My only ToB bard experience is having Haer'dalis in the party for a short time, so I sort of ignored him. It looks like the only way to get the full blade experience is to solo or take a small party. Gotta say, I'm tempted to try a solo blade now.

[Edit - put the wrong name in. oops.]

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    What!?! Who dares?

I assume you're playing a party, since Rastor pretty much summed up how good Blades are in one.

So what's with the Bard being less overpowered than a fighter? Bards will always be better fighters than anything in SoA save Kensai-kin(won't risk angering Shura just yet... :p ). Tenser's Transformation sees to that. The only thing you'll be missing will be the fighter's number of attacks per round, which a few spells and items should compensate for. If your like doing major damage, Offensive Spin will end any arguement. Otherwise, a stat-draining item like the Chaos Blade or Kachiko's Wakizashi should silence most of your foes in a few seconds.

This is the Blade's greatest strength - going on a dual-wielding, buffed up melee rampage in the 12 rounds or so where only a Kensai-Mage could have bested him (or maybe a Kensai, as long as he's not the center of attention). All the remaining bonuses are complimentary - the ability to cast spells up to level 6 and at max level spell effectiveness (all the best buffing spells are below level 7), the high lore (which is devastating roleplay-wise), the ability to steal and pickpocket (instant overpowerment right after escaping Irenicus' Dungeon), the ability to use just about everything and the ability to level up like there's no tommorow.
    To sum that all up what you get is a Fighter/Mage/Thief who sacrifices versatility for intensity.

Solo, he and the F/M/T are the easiest to go through the game with, with him being easier once you raise the difficulty a bit more after hardcore.

In ToB, a fully buffed-up Blade will annihilate anything that's not a fighter/mage or a Mage/Sorcerer. Read the guide to find out how.

8. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Where is the guide?

9. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, who could say, I have a feeling Scythesong would come in and do the Blades a justice!
    And, as much as I am not a fan of those singing freaks of nature, I have to agree with Scythesong Immortal, the Blades are a fearsome bunch of freaky hombres in ToB.

No pun intended Scythesong! ;)

10. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    None taken.
    As long as their power is recognized, I wouldn't really care. ;)

On second thought, maybe I would...
    But not at the moment, at least. :D

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.