1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mod choice

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mayfairy, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

In just a few days I will be getting Baldur's Gate II with Throne of Bhaal, and now I'm thinking what mods should I get. Right now I'm downloading Shadows of Soubar mod, but I'm not sure if I should get The Darkest Day. I know there are more, but these two seem to be the best. Which mod should I choose?
    Do I have to get patch for SoA and ToB, or is it enough if I patched ToB alone?

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I don't know if this is relevant but if this is the first time you will play the game, don't use mods or cheats or walkthroughs. It may ruin the game, when you finish it on yourself than you should try mods to maximize the gaming experience.

If you have played it, I am using the kelsey and solofein mod and easy of use. They work out great in my opinion.

3. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

I have finished the game without ToB. And I mean those mods that add some quests, NPC's, enemies and stuff, not those trainers and ease-of-use stuff.

4. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Icelus posted a mod list awhile back; it's a good list, but unfortunately it's kind of gotten buried. There's also the recently-released Unfinished Business

Also, if you do a search of the ToB and SoA boards (search "mods" in subject), you can find lots of good info. Here's a recent one. Note - most people advise to avoid The Darkest Day.

6. dshadow Gems: 8/31

"Shadows Over soubar" is best avoided as well unless you want to throw the balance of the game completely out of the window. You'll be tripping over +5 weapons every few minutes and you'll get such a massive amount of experience (4,000,000 for one enemy!) that by the time you finish SOA you'll be tough enough to finish TOB. It'll take all the fun out of the game and, as a result, completely ruin it for you.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

if this is your first time playing BG2, i recommend not using any mods

if you insist, go with some of the npc mods that do not alter the story or gameplay too much

8. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31

Damn! I spent 3 hours downloading Shadows over Soubar.. :( So be it.. Trashcan it is.. I'm going with Unfinished Business. Thanks!

9. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

4 million XP for one enemy? What the hell is it? Demogorgon is only worth a maximum of approx. 600000.

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It wouldn't surprise me if that's the ridiculously overpowered mage who starts his fight by casting a spell that summons a dragon...

11. dshadow Gems: 8/31

It's Lloth you get 4,000,000 XP for.

12. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

What is exactly involved with Shadows over Soubar? What new areas/NPC's/quests do you get?

And secondly what class is Tashia?

13. dshadow Gems: 8/31

Shadows Over Soubar adds several new areas to the game (Soubar being one of them funnily enough) as well as several new NPCs (none of which I took as they didn't seem very interesting).

There are a few good ideas thrown into the mix - the house invaded by greater wolfweres being a particularly good one - but it really overbalances the game with the massive amounts of XP you get given (the Master Wolfwere is worth 125,000 XP despite being quite a bit easier to defeat than your standard 22,000 XP lich).

I didn't do all the side quests but by the time I'd finished SOA my characters were around 26th to 30th level and way too powerful for TOB even on insane difficulty. Also, the mod gives you most of the great weapons from TOB so 99% of the fun is gone before you start playing the expansion.

14. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Tashia's a sorceress. So's Kelsey. Someone needs to make an evil sorcerer/ess.

Lloth? For a moment there I thought you were talking about the Drow god. That would be even more ridiculous.

EDIT: I should mention that Kelsey is a sorcerER. :)

[ November 20, 2003, 13:31: Message edited by: Sparhawk the Pandion ]

15. dshadow Gems: 8/31

Er... I was talking about the Drow God.

16. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Ah. Isn't she Lolth?

You kill off the Drow God? I imagine Viconia would have something to say about that...

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It must be a really toned down version. I doubt the rules version of Lloth could be beaten by a party of 6 mid20s characters.

18. ShardStar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Big Picture is pretty cool, it includes several mods, such as The Darkest Dary, Tortured Souls, Spine of the World, Freedom's Reign? Riegn of Virture?, Shadows over Sourabar and Baldur's gate trilogy.

www.teambg.com

Vicona worships Shar, not Lloth.

19. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Yes, but I imagine she'd be fairly happy that you killed off the entity that had sworn to kill her...

20. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It was a lloth avatar of some sort. Im curious as to how an avatar of an actively worshipped and very powerful goddess was beaten by a few mortals. Even if your entire party was level 40 you should lose that fight.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.