1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ToB items

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by kevlar0101, May 31, 2001.

1. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Do you think there will be better rings of protection? I hear there are +5 rings in PnP

also, can enchantments only go up to +5?
    Ive heard something about a spear +6 or something.

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Of course when you and your enemies get stronger, there will also be better weapons and other items... a few quotes from the developers of ToB

Magical hammer: We have a very cool new, artifact level hammer. It starts off strong and can be upgraded with a missing piece to make it even stronger. Nuff said. The hammer is called Runehammer.

High level abilities for Thieves: We're releasing High Level Ability info pretty slowly but I'll give you something special here.

Evasion. A rogue's natural sense of preservation becomes heightened with the use of the Evasion ability. Evasion gives a bonus of 4 to AC and 2 to all saving throws. The effect lasts for 3 rounds.

This is one of the High Level Abilities in the Rogue Pool. Many of the High Level Abilities have more powerful versions, as well. Evasion is one of the base Abilities and has a more powerful form called Greater Evasion.

I think this is the most info that anyone has ever gotten out of me about a High Level Ability at one time.

Monk's cap for magic resistance: It slows down in Throne of Bhaal and caps in the 70s. As always, it can be altered by items.

Possible scenario: With a natural MR of 84%, you can sell all of those items and buy that super sword you've had your eye on. Or, you could give the items to other party members so that everyone has some sort of MR.

Yes, nothing will happen to existing characters. Monks slow down starting at the first level in TOB. It will not retroactively change any monks that have already leveled up.

Monks are still frickin' powerful.

Tracking ability for Rangers: It must be revelation day. Tracking is in.

Helms for thieves and mages: All of the Ioun stones from BG2 as well as the new ones are opened to all classes, now. Plus there are a couple of other items of headgear for thieves that I can think of off the top of my head (no pun intended)...all of these protect against critical hits as per a normal helm and some of them have AC bonuses as part of their effect.

Pointy hats: Elminster is the only mage who is allowed to have a pointy hat in the BG series. He has a copyright, I understand (or does he have Gandalf's copyright? I can never remember.)

+6 Spear: The spear in question is an assembled artifact and it is, indeed, +6. Enchantments only go up to 5, however...and, no, nothing in the game would require a 6 enchantment level (that would be silly).

Can't wait till the game is available!

3. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

From the ToB feature list:

There you'll encounter a variety of nasty monsters and a fairly large assortment of legendary artifacts from the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules.

So we get legendary artifacts. Nice.

If they follow the D&D system here are the possible rings of protections. The DM rolls a percentage die ot chooses:

01-70 +1
    71-82 +2
    83-83 +2, radius 5-feet
    84-90 +3
    91-91 +3, radius 5-feet
    92-97 +4 Ac +2 to saving throws
    98-100 +6 Ac +1 to saving throws.

As You see there is a limit of power that can put into the ring according to D&D rules. If Ac-protection gets higher than 3 the saving throw bounus begins to decrease.
    Personally I prefer saving throws.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 31, 2001).]

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

"radius 5 feet"???

Does this mean the ring creates a field and every character that is in that field has the AC bonus and Saving-throw bonus that the ring gives?!

5. Dauntalus Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yes that is what it means. It does include enemies as well.

As for the +6 spear, I believe there was one artifact on Dark Sun that was, among other things, a +6 spear. They killed Borys with it I believe.

6. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

thx for the effort headbanger but I know everything thats already spoiled on the sorcerers site :D

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

hehe well then already you know everything ;)

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

On the "better than +5" question...

Didn't the Githianki (sp?) have a few +7 Vorpal Swords? The catch was that if you killed on of the wielders of these swords and took it, they would send armies after you.

The Unearthed Arcana also had +6 Defender and +6 Holy Avenger Swords (yeah, I'm a 1st edition guy!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.