1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best class to play all the BG's...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I want to play a class through all the BG's I have: BG, BG2 SoA, BG2 ToB. What I need to know is what's the best one to use, because of the limited selection in BG1?

Also that brings up my other question, if your a fighter in BG1, then you import into BG2, can you become a Kensai, instead of just a straight fighter, or something?

PS. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    There is no "best class". You can choose whatever one you like, although I must admit if you are new to the game, either a fighter, paladin, or a ranger will probably be the easiest. You are always allowed to choose a kit when you import into BG2. So, if you started as a fighter, you will have the option to remain a fighter, or become a beserker, wizard slayer, or kensai. Similarly, a paladin can choose to become an undead hunter, a cavalier, or an inquisitor.

If you want to play through the entire series, the only thing you can't do is be a barbarian, sorcerer, monk, or wild mage. And even this can be avoided if you download the mod BGTutu, which allows you to use BG2 rules (including use of the kits) in BG1.

3. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Bard - but then I'm a bit biased here.

A fighter or paladin is very good to use in BG1 as well.

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

I'd say multiclass Fighter/Mage.
    This character is very powerful right from the start until the end with all the most powerful spells at her disposal. Very consistent.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I have to admit that multi-classed characters are extremely powerful, however you won't be able to get a kit if you go with a multi-classed character. Earl Grey recommends fighter-mage, and I agree they are very powerful, but my personal favorite is a fighter-thief.

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

There was a thread on these boards a while back about the Cleric being the most powerful class.

You eliminate the need for some of the more annoying NPCs if you play a cleric. ;)

7. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Actually Klorox I was planning to play solo, I suppose I should have mentioned that. Also I like to avoid Multi-Class or Dual Class characters, because I don't think they seem right, but thats my oppinion. Thanks for the help so far, keep it coming! :)

8. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I did it as a plain boring old fighter, but that's cause I like my PC tanking.

9. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

For a solo through the entire saga the most powerfull character to play would be a fighter/mage/thief multi.

Single class I dont know.. guess they all get all-powerfull in the end anyway. I would recommend a kit that has a flavor of multi-class in it(i.e swashbuckler) or maybe just a sorcerer/mage.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Hmmm... Single classed characters soloing - it's a pretty touch choice there. I also ways take a multi-classed character, and there fighter/mage/thief is the obvious choice, as you don't need a cleric when soloing - you find tons of potions, and since they're all for you, you have mroe than what you need.

However, if I had to play a single class solo, I'd go for either a bard or a sorcerer. If you're going through the whole saga, then bard or mage (probably a conjurer).

11. Balduran's Boot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Figthter/Mage/Thief would do nicely!
    You will need a fighter to solve easy buttkicking tasks!
    You will also need mage tricks.Breach-like spells for example.Something that can weaken the enemy.
    And a thief ofcourse.Traps are very nasty sometimes.And backstab damage may find it's use as well.
    The only minus that i see is the lack of backpack place.

12. Earl Grey

F/M/T - You might think so, but you won't reach level 9 spells with that character, something you will with a F/M.
    It's F-24/M-20 vs F-18/M-17/T-22.

I've never found traps to be more than a nuisance and, on the positive side, a source of xp's.

In my latest BG2-game I'm using a F/M/T. He's good, there's no denying that, but I think eventually getting those 9th and quest level spells as well as a better fighter is worth more than what the thief part brings.

[ July 22, 2004, 05:48: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

13. Klorox

Sorcerer.

14. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I would have thought a Fighter-Thief could do well enough. Mages are only really a problem if there's a lot of them or if you've got Tactics installed and they Stoneskin before the fight begins. The butt-kicking angle is covered, as is the traps-stealing-sneaking aspect (and if a fight is not essential and too hard, you can just avoid it, especially if you have a Cloak Of Non-Detection). In BG2, you can drop points into traps and snares to take out the more annoying enemies, and the HLAs you get in ToB make that multi-class absolutely lethal as well as balanced and multi-talented.

15. Earl Grey

@Klorox
    Except that you can't play a sorcerer in BG1.

16. Klorox

D'oh!

17. Elemental DarkLord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Like Bard ( not the kit but Mr. Bard :p ), i would suggest using bard ( all types can do ) in soloing the game. They may not be not that good in BG1 but hell is one of the the best kits in BG2 and i supposed Mr. Bard can attest to that.

18. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I would, most definately, a strong thief aspect in your character. The theif abilities of bards are not what I'm talking about: pickpocketing won't help you that much. :rolleyes:
    While hiding in shadows, sneaking around, disarming traps & opening locks for xp, the basics of theives, will help you, the major advantage of playing as a thief when soloing will be backstabbing and laying traps. Plus its lots of fun playing as some type of a theif.
    So, I would suggest playing a Fighter/Thief. If you don't want to multiclass, I would suggest a straight theif, perhaps an Assassin or a Bounty Hunter. Swashbucklers would be ideal, except losing backstab is a terrible price to pay.
    A stalker could be a good way to go. In BG1, you'd play as a straight Ranger, which is good because you can wear tough armour and you can't really take advantage of the stalker's backstabbing potential until BG2.

19. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Mage thief!
    Cast improved invisibility on self, backstab, monster summon, run, rinse and repeat!

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd have to say Fighter-Thief due to the lack of good thieves in BGII and simply how the PC suits being a Fighter-Thief due to their upbringing and blood.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.