1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't get into this!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Cap'n CJ, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I simply cannot get into this game. Everytime I start a new game, I get bored and give up. I never had this problem with BG1, what the hell is my problem?

Someone recommend me a really fun party to use :)

2. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Depends on what you find fun.

The first time i played through i found it amusing when viccy & keldorn / minsc & edwin fight and each other, but i'm just morbid :D

Also like Yoshimo says 'its always fun watching the little people fight' so try Mazzy / Korgan / Jan. Theyre all good for banters and effective in a group.

If at the end of the day the existing npcs don't appeal to you try some fan made ones Kelsey / Keto / Saerileth etc

3. Berksmasher Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It's not just you...I find BG1 a lot easier to get into as well. IMO the strengths of BG2 are the well-developed characters and NPC interactions, and the coolness factor in mixing and matching the numerous character classes, abilities, and items.

To start, do something interesting or unorthodox with your own character. Maybe vow to do an insane high-level dual class...plan something out where you can dual a class at level 17-24 and still get a decent haul of HLAs in your second class. Your dual point will be tantalizing close through the first few chapters, perhaps enough to keep you going, and then later reclaiming your first class is a great motivator.

As parties go, the evil Edwin/Korgan/Viconia trio is one of the best from an entertainment standpoint IMO. Combine them with two good-aligned characters to get the most out of it.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Err I hate to say this but since this is SoA forum, I guess Firey does not have ToB installed, so no high level dual-class and even mention of HLA.

Anyway,

What do you find fun? I never played BG1 so I can not compare, but I whole heartidly believe that BG2 is so much better. Thanks to my insane amount of mods though.

Have you tried playing with some mods? Some are really hardcore, and for experienced players, while others are fun for everyone. Try different NPC mods, quest mods, or tweaks to enhance what you think the game lacks of.

Jan is funny to have around, he manages to annoy other NPCs occasionaly. Anomen is intersting, especially when he fails his test and becomes CN, he will be really fun, or so I heard.

Add Minsc&Jan for fun interactions, or get Jaheira&Viccy&Aerie for real and fierce cat-fights. get Mazzy&Valygar for their knight and her squire parody.

You should get Banter packs and Romance pack mods, they add tons of new interactions with NPCs and romances. Why, I was suprised to see Minsc and Yoshimo were playing that game (with sword, rock and paper), ofcourse Minsc was always taking the sword and losing to willy Yoshimo who knew his weakness, then Minsc asked Aerie for advice, I was 'whoa, what an interaction!' It was cool! :thumb:

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Actually, I meant to put this in the ToB forum, but I wasn't paying enough attention... If a mod sees this, can they move it?

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Play a solo Wild Mage. Force yourself to play it until you get lvl 5-6 spells or so...its such a blast you won't ever stop playing!

7. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I agree with Faraaz. I am soloing a wild mage and i'm at Spellhold now. I've started this game over a hundred times but this is my second game that reached Spellhold. Wild Mage is the funniest class in the game IMHO. Also the only class that can make golems, demons and other nasty monsters hiccup. :shake:

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

BG1 is long and BG2 is even longer.
    You probably played too much.
    Uninstall the game from your harddisk.

Don't play this game or similar ones for a while.

Wait at least half a year before trying this game again.
    You might enjoy it.

Don't force yourself to start the game again if you don't want to, chances are very low that you'll finish it since it is so long.

Rather continue from your old save. If you don't enjoy wandering around aimlessly then use a walkthrough to speed up your game.
    Another option to speed up your game is using a small party, a solo sorcerer is probably the fastest and easiest choice.
    Nursing 6 characters takes sooo long.

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

But soloing kills the fun of the game, especially the first time around, since party interactions, banters are the things to help the player to get into the game and 'feel' it, I really love NPCs, and their interactions, and I would NEVER reccomend a first timer to play solo.

10. Chitinous Shell Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree with Silverstar completely, first time through I made my own custom party, didn't get very far. Picked the game up again a couple months later and used the Bioware NPCs, it made a world of difference on the fun-factor of the game.

I find it odd that so many people find BG1 easier to get into though, I find that I pretty much have to force my way through the beginning. The margin of error for a level 1 mage or thief is so low... In my character's information screen, it says his preferred weapon is Power Word: Reload...

11. UCLAEnigma Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I agree. I don't really enjoy BGI. I have gone through maybe 10 times and have never really been able to not cheese my way though some of the major battles consistently (the group outside the top of the Cloakwood Mine comes to mind).

12. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I think it's something to do with the whole starting level thing. I dislike starting at level 7/8. Yes, I understand that you have to and it's how the game is made, but argh! I just can't do it!
    It feels like loading up somebody elses save.

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

That's one of the reasons I play all the way through. Even if my idea is solely BG2, I play through BG1 as the character solo or semi-solo (w/Imoen for the thief stuff if my char isn't a thief). Whizz through the main plot of BG1 first and you get the continuity feeling.

14. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The problem is if i want my main character to be a wild mage, sorcerer, etc.

15. Felinoid

Tutu, then. And make it EasyTutu for the reduced spawns.

16. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Tutu makes my game die :( It NEVER works.

i follow the destructions to the LETTER and it still burps errors at me, and explodes/implodes/contraplodes.

17. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

That's what Easytutu is for

18. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I haven't tried EasyTutu before, how is it different? Is it better than Tutu?

19. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

it shouldn't be too hard to find an editor which sets your character XP back to 0 after the start. The starting dungeon shouldn't be too hard even with a level1 character.

20. Felinoid

@Firey:
    It is, as the name suggests, easier to intall than regular Tutu. Rather than a WeiDU format for the installer, it looks very like the type of installer used to install the actual games. It also leaves your original installations of the games untouched, only making copies of the files it needs, so uninstallation is a breeze (as if you'd need it), and you can continue to play both vanilla BG1 and BG2 with EasyTutu installed. Aside from those notable differences which should help anyone who has had trouble installing Tutu, it is very much like Tutu gameplay-wise.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.