1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A few queries on dual classing if I may

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Vimes, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Vimes Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] A couple of questions on dual classing:
    1. I've a level 38 fighter and want to dual class to a cleric, now does the experence cap come into play here e.g. a total of 8 million exp like multi-class or can I just keep leveling up as a cleric till level 40.

2. I've got grand master in Bastard swords, can I still use them after dualing to a cleric? If not what happens to the proficienty points?

Please enlighten me :)

2. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

1 The Exp cap will be still in effect, so your character as a cleric can't reach level 39.
    2 I think that you can only use weapons, whic are'n forbidden to the clerics. So you'll lost your profiency points.

3. Demonater351 Guest

Hey :wave:,
    Allow me to enlighten you on a few points. Any character can dual-class at anytime (provided he has the class and stats to do it), but to take advantage of both class abilities, he would have to advance in his new class to one exp level above his previous class (i.e. a level 9 fighter would have to advance to a level 10 cleric to truly become a fighter/cleric, with both class's abilities). What you are proposing is impossible under the cap, as you would have to advance to level 39 as a cleric before you'd get back your abilities as a level 38 fighter. Also, experience points from both classes are added together to count toward that character's total limit of 8 million, so no, you can't be a level 38 fighter/level 39 cleric. Try to dual class earlier in the game so you can get under the exp cap. I'd recommend around level 9 as a fighter to cleric.

As for your second question, cleric and druid weapon restrictions and mage armor restrictions take precedence over all other classes. Fighter and thief weapon allowances take precedence over mage classes, and fighter armor allowances take precedence over all other classes except mage. So, a fighter/cleric would be limited to blunt weapons but fighter armor, a fighter/mage could not wear armor but use any weapon a fighter can, a mage/cleric is limited to blunt weapons and no armor, a fighter/thief can use any weapon a fighter can use but cannot wear heavy armor to use his abilities, and a fighter/druid can wear any armor a fighter can but is limited to only druid weapons. So, yes, your grand mastery in bastard swords is rendered moot when you dual-class to cleric, as all clerics are limited to blunt weapons. When you plan on dual-classing, always plan your weapon proficiencies accordingly, as you will have to follow your new class's limitations. The proficiency points will still be there, but you will unable to equip that weapon if your new class prohibits it.

Hope this clarifies for you.

[This message has been edited by Demonater351 (edited November 26, 2001).]

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Yeah, don't dual class. I did the same thing, except my profeciencies were in long sword.

5. Vimes Gems: 1/31

Blargh, that kinda makes dual classing rather pointless if the exp cap limits it. Hmm might have to use the exp cap remover, although is it really considered cheating if ya still have to earn every single point?

6. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Even without the XP cap, would it be possible to get enough XP? When I played ToB my party was nowhere near the cap at the end, so it might be difficult to get enough XP to have a dualled 39/39 character.

7. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If you remove the X-cap you might be able to get more experience if you have a smaller party. btw... is the X-Cap remover for ToB? How far does it go then? Level 80?

8. Dheitos Guest

Why should you dual class and start over as some lousy 1st class cleric if you're allready at 38lvl, anyway?
    I think dualclassing in ToB makes no sense, but please tell me if I'm wrong...

9. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well, first of all, this should have been posted in the ToB forum.

And I suppose you could; just dual class at the very begining of ToB.

I think multiclasses are a lot more powerful in ToB, since you can pick from both of their special abilities, and you'll always be advancing in both classes.

10. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Lordy Lordy Lordy, we are in the TOB forum. :)
    [Originally, we weren't though - BTA]
    [Oops - Sorry ;) - WittyNewt]

A minor correction to Demonater351's good post. Fighter/mages and cleric/mages can wear armour, they just can't cast mage spells while doing so.

Regarding dualing at level 38, it just doesn't make any sense unless you remove the cap and are playing solo or you want to hack in some xp via the console. You are unlikely to get your fighter skills back before game end. Of course, if you would just rather play a cleric then dual away - but you will be too weak to do anything in TOB.

There is a cap remover on baldurdash, (not sure whether the one on sorcerors is the same :) probably is) that lets each class of a multi go up to 40. This would probably suit. You install the cap remover. Dual, and then add some xp using the console, say up to 3m xp, lvl 21 cleric.

Cheers,

WittyNewt

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited November 26, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 26, 2001).]

11. Vimes Gems: 1/31

I was planning on getting to level 38, exporting then starting a new game then dual classing, heaps of experence that way. I also won't cheat and give my char exp, i'll rather earn it no matter how long it takes me.
    Oh, and another question: Do ya have to choose a kit first or can ya dual class and then choose a kit?

12. mannedoc Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You can’t choose a kit when dual classing. You go from the first class or kit to the second class (no kit) But why dual class a 38 lvl fighter?? Isn’t that a waste. Also, if you are planning to import a 38 lvl fighter to the start of the game, isn’t that like cheating?? Your character will be to overpowered.

13. Vimes Gems: 1/31

I'm taking the exp cap off to make dual classing worthwhile, and since the char will be at level 1 anyway, it won't be too overpowered

14. Lord Sarevok Guest

A very powerful class is a thief dualed to mage at level 13.

You can choose a kit this way too, and you'll have a x5 backstab.

Try an Assassin for even more fun, all I put in Hide in Shadows/Move Silently was 50/50 which was enough until I dual classed, since I could simply cast invisibility or shadow door and still backstab!

I had 95 in lock pick and 95 in find/disarm traps, which was more than enough for any traps in the game.

Also I got +1 to hit and damage, as well as the ability to posion my weapons.

You could also dual class to a fighter at level 13 for some *extreme* backstabs...

15. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

that is lame to dual class at level 38 man. Sorry just my opinion.

16. Vimes Gems: 1/31

*shrug* I'm only doing it for fun really, I want to see what a level 38/40 fighter cleric is capable of, esp one dual wielding the Fail of ages +5 and the Rune Hammer ;)

17. Lord Sarevok Guest

Bah!

Any character that high level will be extremly powerful, but if you find it amusing, go ahead, it's your game.

18. Vinyan Gems: 1/31

I never knew before that exp of dual class was sum, almost wasting my fighter (planning to dual him to be a mage at lvl20, now he's lvl8 just started playing SoA).

I thought when I start my dual class he will start at exp 0 then xp cap will have no effect but it seems what I thought is incorrect.

Anyway I'm still confuse about dual class exp esp xp cap. I tried once with TotSC expansion. Imoen reached xp cap 161,000 I was going to an end so I decided to test something, I dualed her to be a mage and killing some mobs for exp. If xp cap takes place then she wouldn't gain any exp BUT she advanced, her exp point was up. There came my thought. Isn't it the same in SoA or ToB? Anyone has ever tried?

19. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

When Imoen reached 161,000 she was a lev 10 thief. When she was dualed she was set to be a lev 10 thief with no extra xp (160,000xp). Then you killed some enemies, she could then gain 1000xp.

20. Berem Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Queries!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.