1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Burning Men

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mirkwood, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Mirkwood Guest

[​IMG] I hate these things - buffed up Fire Elementals with the most annoying ability of all time - no matter what my saving throws are when they start "keening" nearly half the party goes into mad panic and starts running around bumping into things (they are all wearing boots of speed so it's like a pinball machine, hehe)

And when it's Jan with his ~50 odd hit points and we are in Yaga Shura's lair and he's running through lava pools, well, let's just say he doesn't last long.

This "keening" ability must have a very severe saving throw penalty (or none at all?). Does anyone know?

(PS: Not much thought went into naming these things did it, I mean, "Burning Men"?)

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Doesn't Resist/Remove Fear resolve this problem. I'm pretty sure that's what I used and didn't have any problems.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Whoa! I must have killed them all to quickly; I never saw them use any keening ability. I actually found them to be pretty wimpy.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yep, these beasts induced terror on some of my party members, a nasty surprise but no real problem since I played a cavalier then. I found the wave halberd to be my weapon of choice against them ;)

EDIT: IIRC it causes instant death on fire elementals and so Minsc put it to good use in Yaga Shura's lair.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited August 30, 2001).]

5. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

cone of cold, says enough :D
    just have a couple of helmets around that protect against charm and fear, lilcartor came in handy :)

6. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

cast Protection from fire/resist fire on Sarevok... give him the psionic blade and you're done.. but if you dont have that... you can always let him take Potions to better his saving throws...

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Only one problem with trying to use protection from fear/resist fear on party members with boots of speed. More often than not, by the time the spell in cast and it gets to the desired location, the party member has run off in another direction and the spell is wasted.

8. Mirkwood Guest

Yeah, that's what I found trying to use Dispel Magic, by the time I cast it they are on the other side of the map. Casting Resist Fear before battle sounds like the best way.

Someone mentioned the Wave halberd... damn I wish I had it! you could chop Imix (Fire Elemental prince) up with that in one hit, easiest 50,000XP ever. :)

9. Big B Gems: 27/31

Crawl, true but usually my cleric gets first dibs on Boots of Speed. I'm partial to them I know ;) But by the time TOB comes around you can have a lot of boots of speed.

10. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Five, as a matter of fact. It's a bit annoying, since Aerie is always lagging behind. *sigh*

BTA, don't know how you killed them before they keened. It's their automatic first response to seeing you. May not have affected you, so maybe you just didn't notice. The only one I've had panic (out of several keens) is Valygar -- and him nine times out of ten. For shame, being shown up by Aerie.

11. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] 5 boots, unless you import a character with some from BG1 :D

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] Don't forget you can get a necklace of cheeta speed for the 6member of your party, not quite as fast boots of speed, but it helps, and it lets Jan keep those boots of stealth :D ;)

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Also, there is Grandmaster's Armor... nice leather that also has haste effect.

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Indeed, a very good piece of armor - it gives no mali on thieving abilities as well. I think I will have my whole party hasted in ToB ... the wirlwinds or rightousness (I have a cavalier as my 1st car ;) ... )

15. Dragoon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It felt good to realize during that encounter that I didn't drag Wave for nothing through SoA :D

As for boots of Speed I found 2 in ToB, had two from SoA and Grandmaster's armor for the 6th member.

16. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Well you knew if it was forged by Cromwell it had to have some good uses ;)

17. Hayashi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Two words when dealing with fire elementals - Wave halderd.

Kills with one hit - even the elemental prince in Yaga Shura's bedroom.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.