1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Overrated/Underrated weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by omnigodly, Aug 20, 2007.

1. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Just to be fair. To cut down 50% Magic Resistance it actually takes a high level mage to cut down that much resistance. Most of the mages in SoA not only do they not use that tactic(unless you've got a mod to improve them to do so) but they are incapable of removing that much magic resistance in the core game.

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    @Deadman, Drizzt's Twinkle (the one that gives +2 AC), is great for people who primaly use two-handed missile weapon, and so can't use a shield, off-hand weapon or suck with a two-handed melee weapon, for example a halbert.
    With Twinkle and two points in Single Weapon Style, they gain -4 to AC, which is great for Archers and thieves who can't wear heavy armor.

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Doesn't someone come and steal the weapons back from you later? (I know there's one fight, then after you win it, the guy comes back and just plain ninjas the weapons iirc).

That would make them less than useful if you only have them for a few days.

4. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

ease of use: Keep Drizzt's Loot component should take care of that little annoyance.

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    And you can cheesily keep them from BG if you know when to hit pause in SoA. :p

6. Deadman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I always kill drizzt just because I can get a good amount of gold from his scimitars and chain mail to buy other weapons or forges. But Trellheim I have to agree with you, I do like his Scimitar +5: Twinkle for the +2 AC. I think Spectral Brand +5 and Scimitar +5:Twinkle would be a good dual weild combo for weilding the same weapons. Having said that most of the time I've played, I ended up dual weilding Runehammer +5 and Crom Faeyr +5 which looks amazing and grants good immunities to fear and level drain. And you got the powers of Crom Faeyr to go with it as well.

7. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Oh, I see. Someone other than me, who in his own opinion interpreted my post as "powergaming," thinks [whatever that is] is never good. It's a good thing that we put out there. Now I've been set straight.

Yes, Carsomyr isn't powerful, because it's "only" +5. And its "only" other useful ability is 50% magic resistance. Aside from its dispel magic ability. Aside from the fact that it can be used by paladins other than Keldorn, such as CHARNAME. And aside from the fact that, as you say right in your post above, Keldorn's inquisitor dispel may have a tendency to debuff your own party, which actually makes Carsomyr's dispel ability that much more useful as a dispelling alternative.

It's a good thing I try to avoid arguments on these forums. Been long time since I took a drubbing like this.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll stand with Killjoy on this one. The Baldur's Gate series was written with a do-gooder in mind as CHARNAME. That they also wrote in alternate paths is a shining example of excellent game development. But the story line, the main quests, the major sub-quests ... are mainly pointing in a Lawful Good direction.

Because of this a paladin has the easiest time throughout. LG choices tend to net the highest financial and xp rewards. Between the high charisma and reputation they will be able to purchase powerful weapons earlier than most other characters (with the posible exception of thieves -- which I believe was the second major path the game was written for).

Carsomyr is easily the most powerful weapon in the game BECAUSE it is wielded by a paladin. The additional abilities of the paladin make him/her absolutely deadly in any battle (you shouldn't underestimate the spell buffs, Lay on Hands, or special abilities of kits). The easiest time I've had with the Twisted Rune was with a paladin (Cavalier) wielding Carsomyr. Spellcasters are no problems with Carsomyr -- even the most powerful fall quickly.

The kill rate of my paladin exceeded everyone else (npc's and other CHARNAME's I've had) except Sarevok, and he was designed as a killing machine -- the deathbringer assault is incredible.

9. Deadman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Got to agree with killjoy as well. Carsomyr +5 is powerful and Carsomyr+6 is even better. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the power of dispel magic is dependant on your character level so a 16th level paladin is likely to dispel liches defenses just by hitting them with carsomyr. So Carsomyr gets better as your paladin gains more levels. And an Inquisitor with innate dispel magic that worked at 2xpaladin level is guaranteed to dispel protections off everyone -enemies and allies in location - very quickly especially if your inquisitor wears the amulet of power (theres a fix for paladins to wear this amulet as spellcasters).

10. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

@Killjoy

Carsomyr topic died up above - you can give up your "argument you hate" :)

[ August 31, 2007, 19:37: Message edited by: omnigodly ]

11. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

In my latest game, I've actually taken the "Prixie Prick +3" as my PC's weapon for the time being and I'm pretty impressed. The enemy has to save vs. poison or go to sleep for 2 rounds. Well, since my PC is an Assassin, might as well poison my weapon too. If they fail their save, they just lay there and die!

12. starwalker Gems: 16/31

You'll like the short sword of Mask then. I found it a great backstabbing weapon on NPC's... And the fact that it stands an alright chance of entangling those you hit that can be useful to picking them off.

13. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Celestial Fury is overrated...Surely it's not a +5 weapon, but that's what strenght girdles are for. In a good fighter's hands it hits almost anything but the most powerful denizens in the game, ad it STUNS ANYONE, even Amelysan, althought you can't actually do her any physical harm. Combine it with Hindo's Doom-arguably the best blade in the game-with a dual-wield katana kensai and watch the carnage. I LOVE that weapon.

14. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

@starwalker

I already made a post about "Shortsword of the Mask" on the first page and how I think it's overrated. I'll probably take it on my current game, but that's because pickings are pretty slim when it comes to high level weapons for assassins. I will admit that it is probably the assassins best weapon.

15. teardropmina Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

shortsword of mask is among my favorite weapon when I have certain NPC in the party. for me it's never for thief to use; it's for her.

ADD:

as for Carsomyr and SotM; it really depends on the party combinations and play style. I really like them as they are -- they're among the best weapons in the game yet there are restrictions to both.
    Carsomyr is close to useless for paladin-less party; sure single or multi class thieves can use it with UAI, but with a party, you don't really need a thief to dispel enemy's magic protection. yet, with a PC that's fighter (especially Kenasi or wizard slayer)dualled to thief is another story. in this case, it's among the (if not THE) deadliest weapon in the game...well, only if it can be used to backstab, then there's "NO" arguement^^ (Edit: forgot typing in that "no")

SotM --> I think it's more for Kenasi-->Mage than for wizards. in a party, your wizards hardly need to go to frontline; especially at hight lvls, they don't really need the benifits from the staff--> with time-stop and such, it hardly matters what weapon a wizard carry. Kenasi-->Mage then is different --> you can use it as a primary weapon (hit as +5), or just do the dispel magic when needed in close comabt, switching with the main weapon of your liking.

surely, a group can always get to use SotM, but imo, without a fighter-->mage type character, it doesn't really make the party much stronger.

finally, if you get to use Carsomyr, its 50% magic resistance alone would make it the most desirable sword.

[ September 04, 2007, 12:27: Message edited by: teardropmina ]

16. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Thieves can only backstab with weapons that a thief can use normally (ie without UAI). As such halberds, SotM and Carsomyr are out.

I absolutely agree. 50% MR is awesomeness incarnate.

17. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Amber? :confused:

18. teardropmina Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Bioware NPC; also those two ammo-less short bows are almost there just for her to use as well^^ install the grandmastery fix for more fun!

19. starwalker Gems: 16/31

@starfox

The problem with Calling Sword of Mask Over-rated though is it's mostly ignored or naysay'd at least here on Sorcerer's Place. It's one that often gets kicked in the dirt when it's mentioned at all. yes the level drain is weak but it's not the only affect that the sword has as I recall.

20. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Staff of the Magi's Spell-Trap saves a wizard a 9th level spell slot. I think that makes it a favorable weapon to carry. Whether or not a wizard is in combat, (and my mages never ever, EVER enter melee, EVER), the invisibility makes them immune to spells being cast at them, or attacks targetting them, (ie: Hakkashar??? - I might be wrong, but they can't see through invis., nonetheless there are plenty of moments where you have no choice to whether or not the mage is being attacked, or WOULD be attacked).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.