1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Final battle first time

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Night_Heaven, May 10, 2006.

1. Night_Heaven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I am now at the finnal battle...I have played almost non stop this game...some memories..such a story.. I DON'T REGRET CHOOSING THIS GAME AND NOT OTHER. The tests in hell are the most original ones. The finnal battle however...is very very hard.I can't finish after 20 attemps. Jon Irenicus is the best opponent..and he had demons with him too. My team I think is not strong enough. I am a sorcerer,Viconia,Jaheira,Korgan,I have picked Cernd and Aerie for the final battle. The problem is not with them however...it is with me. My main character dies almost all the times. I try to keep my cool and not think I have throne of Bhall too(after 2 months and still not finish all the game GOD). How can I beat Irenicus?I hope you give me a strategy like you all give me before. Thank you
    P.S--IS THIS THE FINNAL BATLE WITH IRENICUS?I AM LOSE CONFIDENCE BECAUSE I FIGHT HIM 3 TIMES ALREADY.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Yes, it's the final battle with Irenicus (in Hell). But since you have ToB, the story is not yet over...

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Once you kill Jon in this fight, it's the last one. Promise. :)

Some advice that works for me. Cast every protection on your party that you have. Summon monsters such as Deva/Fallen Deva, Aerial Servant, Mordy Sword, etc. Memorize a lot of True Sight, Breach, Lower Resistence, Pierce Magic spells; whatever will get rid of Irenicus' protections. I find Protection from Magical Energy very useful in this fight.

Attack the demons first. Irenicus will stand there protecting himself no matter what, so use that time to kill off his summoned friends.

If you are very desperate, change into the Slayer.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A strategy that works very well for me is, once the dialogue with Irenicus is over, move your entire party back right away. This means the dispel-type spells Irenicus et al casts won't have any effect, since they're area-affect.

After that, focus on his minions, then go after Irenicus.

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm with Splunge Try to pull back and regroup. it should let your tanks get in a better position to take on the demon's like in other battles. After a couple tries you should be able to pull it off and then hunt down Irenicus all alone and take him out with your whole party.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I usually retreat to the left, to the entrance to Sarevok's trial, so my tanks only get hit by one demon at a time, two demos maximally. It also allows you to protect your weaker party members more easily. By this time, Jonny should have teleported away from the big door, leaving his mislead standing there.

Just kill his mislead and find Jon at the lower part of the map. Most of his nasty protection spells will have worn off by now, so you can just bash him. For more security, cast some serious protection on one of your fighters and send him in to let Jon deplete his spell book, or better yet, send in some summons.

He'll cast some protective spells one more time, so you can just retreat again, wait for it to run out, and attack in full force again.

7. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Run everybody to one side of hell and try to get one demon to come at you at a time and hack it to bits! Depending on the party I just swarm them with my fighters (in one run I had five tanks, they didn't last long!), and try to hold of Irenicus for the time being. When he's alone send in one summon at a time to let them take the haviest spells. Once I had Imoen Shapechange into an iron golem and she bashed him up herself without any support! He doesn't use many magic resistance lowering spells so this could be a big help to you.

P.S. You picked Cernd and Aerie for the final battle? Why? There are better fighters in the game and I would advize Anomen or Vic if you want a priest. Your sorceror should be able to take care of the magic department.

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

In other words, don't roleplay. Just exploit the crappy enemy AI and unbalanced spells to your advantage.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, some people get really sick of reloading constantly, kmonster. :p Night_Heaven apparently did, which is why s/he came here asking for help. :grin:

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I read his post already. You are not telling anything new to anyone.
    The game is just too unfair to succeed with pure roleplaying (no cheese, no preknowledge)

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, how about this new idea then - try actually posting something relevent instead of your trite, SOS, 'You can't RP this game' cr@p? Try helping instead of just blogging. How did *you* defeat Jon in that third battle? IMO, I'd like to know. :)

[Checks the left of the screen, does not see "moderator" under kuemper's name, shakes head, "tsk tsk". Let's leave the moderating and snide comments to the moderators. - dmc]

[ May 11, 2006, 15:36: Message edited by: dmc ]

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I just exploited the crappy enemy AI and unbalanced spells to my advantage using cheese and preknowledge. :D
    My post suggested to do the same.

13. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I retreat down and to the right. Doesn't take me full out. Let's you deal with the demons a bit better but they will pile up on your tank. Then go hunting for Jon if he doesn't come towards you by the time your done. Don't sit around and wait. Just use things like Ruby Ray and attack him full on with your party. If he isn't modded he won't stand a chance. it's not worth the other crap.

[ May 11, 2006, 18:00: Message edited by: starwalker ]

14. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

What worked for me:

Make sure everyone in your party has at least 1 or 2 potions of extra healing in their quick items. Also, make sure you've memorized:

- at least one Resurrection spell, or even better, Mass Raise Dead.
    - at least 2 or 3 dispelling spells. The weakest one should be pierce magic.

As everyone else said, buff up. Cast A LOT of protections. Protection from Evil, Chaotic Commands, Death Ward, and so on.

Don't bother attacking Irenicus on the first rounds. Have your best fighters charge at the demons (potions of X giant strength and oils of speed will help) and they shouldn't take too long to kill them.

While your fighters attack, draw your spellcasters back and have them casting offensive spells. Holy Smite will do wonders here. Don't bother their magic resistance, just keep chain lightings and stuff like that coming. Basically, offensive spells that won't affect your party members.

After a few rounds, all that Irenicus did was protect himself. By that time he might have used Reflected Image. That's when you attack it with one or two of your fighters. After the reflected image dies, he'll dimension door to the lower part of the screen.

When he does that, get your spellcasters up by the portal. That way, he won't see your party members and won't do anything until you get to him again. This is the time window you need to finish off the demons and heal your party members. Since there's a good chance that one or two of them are gonna get killed, that when resurrection spells come handy. Note that you won't be able to save or rest at this time. It's only fair, anyway.

This is the part where it gets somewhat cheesy. While your spellcasters try to dispel his protections, your fighters charge at him. You will notice he regenerates. Fast. So keep them attacking. After Irenicus runs out of spells, he will attack back and since it's the slayer form, it'll do lots of damage. Whenever of your warriors get too weak, make them run away and heal themselves with potions. Then go back and attack like there's no tomorrow.

If your fighters are around 20th level, they should have a low enough THACO to kill him before he regenerates back.

This usually works for me in 1 or 2 tries. Of course, took me a while to figure it out.

15. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Man, it's been a loooong time since I haven't been high-enough level by the Hell Trials to take down Jonny and his demon pets in no time.

IIRC, the strategy that really worked for me the first few times in that battle were potions, potions, and more potions. It's the last battle: this is what you've been saving them for! (Don't worry; there'll be plenty more in ToB) Giant Strength, Invulnerability, Heroism, Defense, Speed...everything you've got. Chug 'em all right before you click on the last eye (it's not really cheesy...the demons TOLD you Irenicus was behind the door!), then save, click the last eye, and go to town. Even crappy fighters can handle a few demons when all charged to the max.

Oh, and I have to agree with Thunder: Cernd and Aerie? Definitely better choices. Aerie should have some stuff by that point in the game if you've had her all along, but Cernd never did nothing good for nobody. :p

16. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Once you have started chapter 7 you can't return to the SoA areas any more, the only area you can visit both in SoA and ToB is Watcher's Keep.

So you might consider reloading your chapter 6 save just before fighting Irenicus and and do all quests for the XP and items you wouldn't get otherwise. The final fight is much easier if you are more experienced.

You can even do Watcher's Keep before facing Irenicus, but the items you find there cannot be upgraded before ToB.

Don't bother about the rambling about Aerie or Cernd, they can be very useful if you know how to use them properly.

17. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You guys need to play Improved Irenicus if you want a hard time...and yeah, solo it with a pure caster, no melee skills!

Okay, that apart...for the OP, I have a few pointers:

Try to keep your Casters focused on Irenicus with stuff that ignores SR...this would be Sunfire, Skull Trap if you have vanilla BG2, or other stuff like HLAs...but from your post I am assuming you haven't got those...

What levels do you have? What is your PC class/kit?

If you picked up Aerie and Cernd right before the final battle, then they are not going to be much good I'm afraid.

So yeah...get your fighters to take the demons on ASAP, have your casters use stuff like Lower MR and Pierce Magic and keep pounding Irenicus with damage spells...

The reason for this is that Irenicus has melee protections up the wazoo...and it is annoying to keep Breaching him over and over. Besides, the demons have a lot of MR and will tear up your casters...but they're relatively easy(er) to take out with melee fighters.

Also...most important point here is use stuff like ADHW, Sunfire and Skull Trap to keep the hurt on him....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.