1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

People's Favorite Solo Character Class?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tarchon, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Tarchon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My favorite solo character class is the sorcerer. If I choose my spells well, I have one heck of a solo spellcaster. The fact that you do not have to customize which spells to memorize is great! And you can instead pull out whatever spells you need in the spur of the moment!

Here is what I rate as the top three spells of each arcane spell level:

Top Arcane Spells - in order of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd:

Level 1) Magic Missile, Identify, Prot. from Evil
    Level 2) Web, Mirror Image, Invisibility
    Level 3) Dispel Magic, Fireball, Melf's Minute Meteors
    Level 4) Stoneskin, Emotion: Hopelessness, Fire Shield (Red)
    Level 5) Sunfire, Lower Resistance, Spell Immunity
    Level 6) Prot. from Magic Weapons, True Sight, Power Word Silence
    Level 7) Mordenkainen's Sword, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Power Word Stun
    Level 8) Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Pierce Shield, Simulacrum
    Level 9) Time Stop, Chain Contingency, Wish
    Level 10) Improved Alacrity, Summon Planetar (Regular or Dark), Comet

Well, that wraps that up! Obviously there are more great spells out there, but I consider these as the top three most important spells of each level - especially for a solo sorcerer. Sorcerer soloing rocks when you use the Robes of Vecna and Amulet of Power with Improved Alacrity - my goodness! Six Sunfires in less than two seconds!

Opinions, anyone?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Look. I know you're new, but you purported to read the rules of the forums when you signed up. One of those rules is do a search before starting a new topic to see if your question has been answered before. I did a search and came up with over 30 threads on solo characters. The first one that has a date from 2003 is:

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001630#000000

I won't take the time to list the rest. Just do a search in this forum for threads with the word "solo" in the title.

By the way, in case you missed it, this is what the Basic Forum Rules has to say:
    Welcome to the Boards (and read the rules).

3. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I have a few questions/problems that need to be answered.

I've been coming to these boards for years now, and I still can't figure this one out. I understand the need to keep from posting the same thread over and over again. However, we are dealing with a game that has been on the market for years now. Are there any topics on SOA that have not been covered? If sorcerers place wants to attract new members and/or wants to keep people actively posting where do you draw the line. I've seen people busted for starting the same thread, and busted for reviving a thread that is too old.

Which lead to my second question. Who's job is it to "inform" new members when they have crossed the line? I always assumed that the moderators, and the moderators alone, had the wisdom and the power to make that decision.

As far as the question posted is concerned; I like soloing a F/M/T. I find the diversity of the character makes up for the lack of high level spells.

4. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

And why in the heck is one member taking another to task....thats the job of the mods. If the poster changed the topic just a little you wouldn't have a beef. IF there is a problem let the mods handle it.

My favorite solo is fighter/thief multiclass but I also am partial to fighter/magic-user multiclass. Oh lets not forget cleric/ranger....gosh I have a lot of favorites....must I pick only one?

5. rastilin Gems: 8/31

I find a fighter or barbarian is both tough in the lower levels and has enough zap in the higher ones as well.

6. Tarchon Gems: 1/31

Sorry about the new thread; I didn't mean to be offensive. I just assumed since the list of threads for the past 20 days didn't show anything for soloing, it would be OK to start a new thread.

And yes, I did read the rules before I posted anything.

I supposed I should have renamed my topic anyway after I finished my post since it was really more about my favorite arcane spells per level.

So now then I'll ask, what do people think are the most important spells, both out of the arcane and priest catagories?

7. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I agree. If you don't like a post or a person, just don't reply.
    Tarchon:
    everybody agrees the most important spell is breach. I'm surprised you didn't pick it.
    For a solo sorcerer, I recommand a few spells not very useful otherwise.
    level 2 knock is a must.
    level 5 spell shield. Spell shield can protect breach, piece magic etc once. good to have it when soloing.
    level 6 contigency. Store dispel magic in it. In case you are 'helpless', this contigency can give you a second chance. Otherwise if you are stunned etc, you'll be dead.
    My favourite spell though, is level 6 mislead. It gives you COMPLETE invisibility. You can do whatever you like to the enermies(backstab, cast spells as many times), they weren't see you at all. (unless it's a dragon or demons of course)

8. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

fighter mage thief is best one , but pick half elf instead of elf or you will suffer from max CON 17.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, an unwritten rule is to let the moderators/admins do the moderating. (Which is common sense.) While in some cases users are free to point out the basic mistakes of newbies, in this case dmc went over the line. The specific forum rule he quoted was made for issues people were continually making new topics for, asking the same, identical question. Example: "How do I kill Kangaxx?"

The rule is NOT there to prevent anyone from posting on the same subject, if someone else posted on it before in the past. It is there to prevent commonly asked questions with identical answers, and to make people at least look through the first page of the topic listing to see if an identical topic is already there. At the time BG2 came out, Kangaxx was discussed very often so it became the basis for that rule. (Because there were already so many open topics on the subject it was pointless to make any new ones asking the same question.)

However, today, hardly any questions come up so frequently that we would need to strictly enforce that forum rule. And if we did, it would be up to us to decide on a case by case basis.

So, Tarchon, accept my apologies. dmc's comment does not reflect my own views in this matter. If I felt the need to inform you of any rule transgressions I would do so in PM or e-mail. That is why I prefer that people don't try to play moderators unless they remind newbies of absolutely basic manners of these boards. There they practically can't go wrong, but when it comes to enforcing rules such as the quoted one, they can. It is certainly not my goal to scare new members away, so I don't want to see other users here doing it either.

[ June 21, 2003, 12:45: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

10. Tarchon Gems: 1/31

Thank you, this has helped clarify a lot for me. I was worried I had offended a bunch of people. I have been playing Baldur's Gate II for a long time, and have been visiting Sorcerer's Place for over a year, reading the forums and such, but I never posted before. I will continue to do so here and there, now though. Thanks again Taluntain!

Anyway, back to an earlier comment from "14":

I did not pick spells like Breach, Knock, Spell Shield and Contingency for a few reasons; not that they are bad spells or anything; and they are actually very good. I ment what I said when I posted that there are a lot more great spells out there, but the main spells I use were pretty well shown within my Top Three list.

-I use Knock all over the place as a solo Sorcerer, but I didn't list it because I felt that spells like Web, Mirror Image and Invisibility were really what had saved my life in the past. All three of them work pretty well even late in the game.
    -In my opinion, Breach may be useful when you have a full party - i.e. with fighters, but I have gotten by just fine without it soloing. Sunfire, next to Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, is my favorite area of effect spell; it can be fired in rapid succession quite easily and is more powerful than Fireball so it is my favorite level 5 spell for soloing. As for the other two I listed, I think you can figure out why I picked them. The main reason I didn't choose Spell Shield was, I rarely need to be that intense with defensive magics (I mean I do use Stoneskin/Mirror Image a lot and such, but I rarely need extra protection against spell debuffs). Offense seems to be the best defense.
    -I found the level 6 spells a tough call. I had thought a lot about Contingency; actually Contingency is basically tied for 3rd to be honest, with Power Word Silence. I have never used Dispel Magic with it though; good idea! I'll try it!

11. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You forgot chromatic orb! Combine that with greater malison and you get deaths left and right (lvl 12 and higher IIRC). As far as my favourite class, gotta be Bard, either Blade or Jester. Jester's song is cool because it ignores resistance, just go in invisble and sing everyone to death. Blade because of the spins, I love those. But anyway, dual weild Celestial Fury and Belm with offensive spin and Tensors transformation/stoneskin/mirror image/blur and you've got a big spinning death Bard. Then when you get Enhanced Bard Song use misleads to get 3 or 4 bards singing for you and you, permanently invisble with ridiculous ac and damage, just wade in and rip everyone apart. Most fun I ever had with a solo right there.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You know something, I looked over this thing and I agree . . . I was an ass and I apologize. I can only explain that I was at the end of a 15 hour workday and was obviously cranky. I took it out on the wrong person. Mea culpa.

By the way, my favorite solo (ignoring how easy the game is with him) is the FMT because I love having a stoneskinned fighter sneak up behind a group of baddies, whack the spellcaster with one backstab, and then polish everyone else off while their attacks hit nothing.

13. Tarchon Gems: 1/31

No problem, dmc. Thanks for your apology.

Tell me people, can sorcerers duel? I never really figured this out. Monks cannot duel, right? Neither can barbarians, right? I have always been a little unsure about these last three classes at the bottom of the list that have no kits.

My specific solo sorcerer, whom I named "Aldavonar," is an elf, so dueling is out of the question. But if human sorcerers can duel class, I might be inspired to make a sorc/cleric. Oh man, I would SO love to have a sorc/monk. That would be the ultimate character for sure. But I'm probably dreaming. Again.

And by the way, Chromatic Orb is a cool spell, but it is very unreliable while Magic Missile is very dependable. So in a toss up, I'd choose Magic Missile any day.

Oh, and one last question, does a sorcerer's primary attribute, intelligence, have any impact on the sorcerer's performance at all? While it really should be charisma, like in 3rd edition D&D, I don't think the primary attribute effects anything...

Someone prove me wrong.

14. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

my favourite solo (soloed only once though)....
    is a kensai\thief.... i take the kensai to level 25 and then dual class.....i was fully leveled when in saradush (not doing drow quest), fully leveled in as kensai\theif 25\27.

anyway, this char have everything, spells, backstab, thief skills and fighting skills.....

let him have angurvadal +5 and celestial fury\hindos doom and he causes havoc....

and since he can cast scrolls (thief hla, use all items" he can use pretty much every spell in game, and it wont be interrupted.

my kensai gained roughly 950 thief points to distribute which is enough.

when i was a level 1 thief i could still use the hla's gained as an kensai (whirlwind and 2 or 3 greater whirlwinds) so that made it easier....besides, i had spared some quest for the purpose to level him quickly...

anyway, in short words: spells, backstab, theif skills, hide, fighting skills and use all items in one char is SWEET......

kensais can use imprisonment and time stop scrolls as effective as mages can cast them from their books...even better, the casting wont get interrupted.

15. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Sorcerer can't duel and the wish spell checks both int and wis. So if you use wish, you want to max your int. And you need int 9 to cast spell from scrolls.
    Stoneskin also blocks magic missles. Since you like it, you probably still want to pick breach.

16. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My favorite solo class is the Assassin because they ưill be very powerful once you get high level ability (just trap and backstab and sneak and poison your way to glory :) )

17. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Assassin may be able to land a really great first hit, but you can't keep backstabbing continuously, as you come out of hiding. So, for small encounters, great... but what about the mass-melee? Are there some assassin solo tactics that I'm not perceiving here?

18. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Im gonna say sorcerer though my spell picks differ slightly.

Level 1: I like to get spook instead of pro. evil since staff of magi gives me auto pro. evil. I also get chromatic orb for instant death over level 12
    Level 2: I get blur since it goes well in spell triggers and raises saving throws.
    Level 4: I get Malison as I'm more of an instant death spells player and wizards eye for project image runs.
    Level 5: I get animate dead as its powerful over level 15.
    Level 7: I get finger of death and project image instead of ruby ray. Also summon Hakeashar.
    Level 8: Spell trigger instead of pierce sheild.
    Level 9: Imprisonment (I know its cheap, but its neccessary for the more annoying opponents in the game).

Other than that I get most of the spell picks you chose.

19. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I like warriors, so my favorite is Inquisitor. Like other warriors he has great combat abilites and can wear armor for a decent AC, but where he shines is against spellcasters. He has some of the best saving throws and can get pretty good magic resistance from Carsomyr plus other items. Dispel Magic and True Sight are so useful, too.

20. Willowisp Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Not that my English is perfect or anything..it isn't... But please people..

duel: a combat between two persons..

dual: consisting of two parts or elements or having two like parts..

You can have to different characters duel with each other, but duel class brings PvP (Player vs Player) games to mind..

BTW.. Which is the best duel class, if you decide to play a multiplayer game and have the pc's face of against each other? ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.