1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Modded Pit Fiends

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aahz, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Aahz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

In one of the mods I've recently started playing with, Pit Fiends have given quite a boost. I think it would be tactics, but I'm not sure. They have improved invisibility right at their arrival and then they slow and disease on hit. I just had one fight with one: "Pit Fiend does 999 damage to Imoen." How the crap can I stop that? To make matters worse, once they reach about half health (from my experience, at least) they gate in another Pit Fiend. They start to add up quickly. What do I do about this?

2. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31

Try Wail of the Banshee, should work on them good. If you have a Druid, I think using Nature's Beauty works... or just go in Slicing!

Could you give me a link to the mod?

3. Aahz Gems: 7/31

Tactics can be found on wwww.weidu.org but I'm not positive that's the mod doing it. I'm also using Ascension; the other mods I have wouldn't be affecting it. And no Nature's Beauty or Wail of the Banshee yet. It's Jaheria, Imoen, Keldorn, and I and we only have about 900,000 experience each (expcept Imoen, who is at 1.4 million) so we're using baby spells so far.

4. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The mod is Tactics and the pit fiend is part of the improved liches, by the way, if you have unfinished busines, before doing the sir sales quest, DO first Umar quest, don't ask why, if you don't want a spoiler. So, the thing is after you finished the cult of the unseen, don't ask the clerics/helmites for the sales quest, FIRST you MUST do Umar hill quest, is a bug... but that's only if you have Unfinished busines installed.

5. Leslie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yeah, the improved demons are really nasty. They can be installed separately - as a part of the Tactics mod components.

How to beat them?

First, if you cast Prot. from Evil, they can't see you. But they go improved invisible and even you have true sight they vanish the moment that they are spotted.

What I do is to summon Skeleton Warriors or/and Mordekainen's swords. Both can last for some time under demon's attacks. In the mean time you can kick their butt - but only +3 or higher weapons will hurt them.

Also don't forget that they have unlimited Fireballs which they love to throw around so Prot. from Fire is essential.

Hope that helped. ;)

6. Aahz Gems: 7/31

Yeah, I noticed the instantly disappearing thing. At the time I was fighting a few Pit Fiends I couldn't summon skeletons or swords. I kinda rushed to Spellhold so I could get Imoen back for the romance so hacking through improved mindflayers/beholders/liches was kinda frustrating. I still haven't managed to beat any Pit Fiends, but it's been awhile since I've seen any. I think I could handle them now but the Demon Knights in the Kuo Toa Lair were another story entirely. I don't think it would be possible for my party to beat them. They could melee my 5 buffed skeletons to death and Imoen didn't have the spell reportoire to fight them off. My melee people couldn't take it, especially if they ended up stunned. I wanted to keep trying but then the time I summoned them and they all threw fireballs, killing my entire party instantly. I kinda threw the idea away at that point.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You asked for it -tactics makes a lot of non-AD&D mods to the creatures, so you'd better start banging your head against a wall now ;)

IMO, the game could use some boost to the difficulty, but that would be needed to do at the AI level and by AD&D rules -not by giving ridicilous spells/abilities/immunities/stats to every creature you meet (after which, they themselves could take Amelyssan toe-to-toe).

8. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In my experience, any of the "new" pit fiend is right next to a lich, so, if you know where liches are, you sure find a pit fiend; by the way, even if you cast protection from evil, they see you and they fight you. One thing I've noticed is that they kill any other thing that is walking around them but the lich; is fun to go invisible into the room upstairs where Kangaxx is, (if you installed this component you find 2 liches, several undead and skeletons and a party of fighters-mages) so you walk in and you can watch the very funny fight. Kind of buggy...

9. Aahz Gems: 7/31

@Wirhe:

Well in my stage of the game (just got back from the Underdark), Tactics hasn't been too terribly challenging. I have myself (Ranger/Cleric), Keldorn, Jaheria, and Imoen and I haven't encountered many problems. Demon Knights and Pit Fiends, as I said, were annoying. Smarter mages just make those fights more interesting. They even do it your way with smarter AI rather than extra stats. ;) I installed smarter dragons but I fought Firkraag last night and didn't notice anything different except that I couldn't dispel/breach his stoneskin for the life of me and he mutilated everyone in melee (Imoen fixed that problem with a finger of death or two). So far the hardest place has been the Saughin City. Five of them could kill my entire party before we got to them. I ended up scouting ahead with Imoen then throwing a few delayed blast fireballs then have her tank them (using Chaotic Commands so no stunning) and praying she'd have time to get off a couple sunfires to kill them. The fact that they all cast Mass Cure upon death makes it a little more annoying. All in all, that was my favorite area. Improved Mindflayers just seem to kill me for no reason (yes, I checked intelligence) so I summoned buffed Skeletons to take care of that.

@ Sydax:

Well my first encounter with a Pit Fiend was in Spellhold when you summon one from that portal. He was more than a match for me then. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.