1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo possibilities

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Morgoroth, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Now I'm thinking about soloing through both SoA and Tob and was wondering about which classes or class combos would be any good in this because I'd rather not start playing and find a battle impossible and quit because of it. So if you have any suggestions for a soloing newbie (that's me!) I'd be grateful to hear them. ;)

2. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Some of the easier solo classes . . .

Blade
    Sorcerer
    Fighter/Mage
    Fighter/Thief
    Inquisitor
    Ranger/Cleric

Dual-classes would be tough unless you dual very early, and generally don't become as powerful as multiclasses in ToB. Remember that you don't have to fight every battle, kill every baddie, or complete every quest when soloing (unless you really want to, of course ;) ).

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think it's generally accepted that the easiest classes to solo are a multi-classed fighter/mage/thief (which covers all the important bases) and, if you know what you're doing (I would be excluded from that group :D ), a sorcerer.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Assassin. You get poison, traps and thieving abilities. A joke really, even if some beasties will give you a sweat from time to time.

5. egervari Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Don't forget fighter/mage/cleric, which I have solo'd the game with. It's very powerful and substitutes for all the thief skills plus more spells in general from being cleric.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Try soloing as a monk. If you play your cards right the monk is very good at being a solo character. But if the monk isn't to your liking, I'd say you should go with a sorcerer. :rolling:

7. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

I've solo'd with an assasin and enjoyed it. I did have a rough time with a few encounters but still came out on top

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Never tried it, but I imagine a solo Swashbuckler could be powerful. You get thieving skills at the same rate as a normal thief, and the extra To Hit, damage and AC bonuses really help in soloing. With Use Any Item later on, your AC will be so good you're practically untouchable, and you can cast any spell from scrolls. The lack of backstabbing could be a problem though, if your usual playing style with thieves depends a lot on it.

9. egervari Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, if you want power, go with F/M/C. It outshines a lot of the classes mentioned here, like Assassin or Monk for example.

I mean, as a higher, you get all the things that a normal F/M can use like Improved Haste, Protection from Magic Weapons, Fireshield, Stoneskin or whatever, but you get nice clerical buffs too like Righteous Magic. Since you are a cleric, you get the evermost important Heal spell, not to mention chaotic commands and protection from level draining. Let's not forget that all of these spells are influenced by your gear, so Robe of Vecna is twice as good here. Also, you can spell triggers and the like to good effect by adding both mage and cleric spells. Lastly, you get all 3 HLAs! So feel free to use critical strike, greater whirlwinds, hardiness, etc.

For weapons, I'd go with flail of ages or that disruption mace for weapons. Be sure to use something like shield of harmony to block all the bad stuff that can happen while soloing. Staff of magi and the ram are both good choices too, which serve as similar effects that FoA gives but better. You want to keep the number of enemies out of comission to a minimum.

Losing the thief abilities is no real loss. You can still pickpocket with your familiar, you can use the mage's knock spell for unlocking chess, you can find traps with the cleric, you can see invisibility mages with the cleric's true seeing spell. You can even use sanctuary for scoping out the map, or improve invisibility if you want to use mage slots.

10. Thyorna Gems: 6/31

In accordance with Kitrax Monks are abso-****ing-lutely incredible solo chars. Some difficulty can be experienced in the beginning, but you don't have to worry bout losing the game to charm which can **** you up the wall when soloing. Also by the end of SoA, or even half way through, you can be completely immune to magic, move faster than anything else, attack four and a half times a round, your fists are plus four, you can get the gauntlets of crushing which make you formidable, in melee, your AC is great, your immune to poison and a multitude of other things, and I don't know wether its a bug but for some reason with sufficient intelligence my monks could always use wands, if thats your thing.

The only drawback is hitpoints because you still get those of a priest, but your quick enough to run away down a couple of potions, and come back to resume the ass whomping. Hardiness helps to.

11. Lawless Gems: 6/31

Im tried to solo as a swashbuckler. Its pretty good. Plus the bonus AC and thief "use any item" is a very handy to have in a scrape.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.