1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

slayin dragons

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Fly By, May 24, 2003.

1. Fly By Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi all and greetings from this newbee who is in a bit of trouble.
    I have SOA and TOB installed and i also installed the english patch. Normally i could have a magic user to use the spell death fog or death cloud to kill a dragon when my magic user was out of the dragons sight. It would normally take about 6 to 10 spells but ok....the dragon (like Firkraag) died in the end. But now the dragon attacks my magic user as soon he is damaged by the spell. Can somebody help me out plz.

greetings Fly By

2. Woody Woodrow Banned

When I killed Firkaag, I had my whole group attack him with different strength modification spells. Aerie used a black blade of disaster scroll, everybody drank a few health potions and eventually Firkaag died. I didn't use death fog.

So I am of little help.

3. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There are a lot of posts about killing dragons in the SOA and TOB forum - you can search the forum to find em.

For specific help, it would help us if you described your party. We know you have a magic user and that's all we know. Obviously the advice will be different if you have a party of two who both dualed and have a level 3 magic user and level 3 thief versus having a party of 6 with all the characters high levels.

When I have a party, I always boost the tanks and surround the dragon. Surrounding it means the wing buffet shouldn't knock all your tanks back and your knocked out tank can get back into it while the dragon turns to deal with the next guy (you did haste everyone right?) I only bring this up because you say the dragon goes right for your magic user and it sounds like you've a party so -- tank for your magic user. Then you've summons to use as meat shields etc.

Even if you're solo though there are tons of ways to solo dragons as a magic user - we just need to know what you've got.

4. Fly By Gems: 1/31

My party this time contains a level 12 Monk, Yoshimo, Jaheira, Aerie, Valygar and Nalia. But this is not really the problem. What i mean in my question is that normally i could advance to the dragon with 1 or 2 magic users and then the trick was to advance to the dragon but stay at a distance so u could not see him just yet. Then use cloudkill multiple times untill the dragon was dead. Normally the dragon did not come to the magicuser when he was damaged but lately (probably after i installed a patch or so) it does. So i wonder if someone else can use the trick as discribed above and if they can i wonder which version/patch they have installed.

Thx 4 the reactions so far but i am still wondering.
    Off course r all advises welcome.

5. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well FlyBy i think it's good that the dragon comes after u, because it's SUPPOSED to do that!!
    And don't u feel it's sort of like cheatin when u just kill him that way?? so really, can't u kill him without doing that little "trick"???

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    First, FlyBy and Ameorn please spell out words properly.

It's recommended for you to read the rules you accepted during registration.

Second, sorcerers.net main page has a huge 'games' button which leads to an immense plenitude of walkthroughs, solutions, tips, tricks, hints and whatever you need in such cases.

One of those is SoA and ToB tactics manual.

7. Damulak Gems: 1/31

When I killed firkraag, i had 3 party mermbers casting a mix of lightning bolt and lower magic resistance while the 3 big fighters attacked him along with a few summoned creatures.

8. Thauglor Gems: 1/31

If you want to be cheap you can just set as many traps as possible around the dragon. It will definately help. I did it one time but it wasn't any fun at all.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, I agree with other people who said "Why would you want to kill a dragon that way?" Dragons are supposed to be tough creatures. They are intelligent, and wouldn't just stand around while you threw spells at them. Also, I would never use the trap trick either. "Don't mind me Mr. Dragon while I set up half a dozen traps right in front of you!" Come on, what's the satisfaction of killing one of the toughest encounters in the game as soon as he turns hostile?

10. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Fly By

I recall reading somewhere that with ToB, the cloudkill/death fog on dragons trick no longer works. I believe the latest patch to SoA corrects this as well. Can someone confirm this for me?

11. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I found it quite easy to kill Firkraag (although it took more than one try :)

I just filled up with summon monster spells, and surrounded Firkraag with tanks.

He tends to go after the monsters instead of the characters, giving you valuable time to get some hits on him. I also lowered resistances and cast a few spells.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.