1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

One more reason to use a blade

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mongerman, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

With un-nerfed spell tables progression, bards can get up to lvl 8 spells! At 5 million xp, a bard has 6 spells from lvl 1-4, 5 from lvl 5-7, and 1 lvl 8 spell. This makes blades even more powerful then ever...imagine PI + a 35d8 horrid wilting...even the humble cone of cold does 35d4+35 points of dmg! Or repeated impr hastes that last 35 rounds!

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmmh, I'm not an expert on this thing, but I think that you can't do a 35d8 Horrid wilting without Weimer's mod.

3. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

Hmmm the spell description for wilting has no cap, so i assume it scales with lvl even without weimers mod. Same goes for skulltrap, cone of cold, MMM etc

4. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Mongerman,

Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting spell doesn't do that much of damage unless you have installed Spell50 mod. Have you?

I know that you are playing Improved Anvil. As mentioned in IA's readme, Spell50 and IA are incompatible with each other.

5. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

No I dont have spell50 installed. Regardless, opening up lvl 7 and 8 spells for bards open up so many more possibilities. Just PI alone can be insanely powerful

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

AFAIK all spell effects are capped at level20.
    A reason not to use a blade is that rogue saving throws are by far the worst of all classes.

7. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Spell effects dont scale up unless they are explicitly programmed to do. Thats what the spell50 mod.

So even though adhw is uncapped, because the game wasnt designed with uber levels in mind it originally doesnt go past level 20. Each level, or each few levels, the spell uses a different effect that rolls the dice more often.

8. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    As those above me have mentioned, all spells cap at level 20 if you are playing unmodded.

However, if I feel I must ask something: yes this makes bards more powerful, but still doesn't make them equal to mages. At 3 million EXP, a mage has slightly fewer lower level spells, but two level 8 spells and a level 9 spell. Oh, and they can now select HLA spells which are far superior to anythign a bard gets. Did I mention this was two million experience sooner?
    ;)

This mod does improve bards, but not enough to trigger jaw-dropping mode, I'm afraid.

9. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

True...but they now have an edge over f/m/t, and may surpass even f/m if used right considering they have more spells then a f/m with the same xp

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

It would probably enable more people to play with a bard also.

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You should really get Rogues Rebalancing mod then. Not only it introduces new kits, it 'fix'es rogues, they can all train two-weapon fighting more efficiently, and bards gain all-new, spiffy HLAs which are more in tune with their musical and happy-go-lucky nature. :thumb:

No more filthy traps for bards, but magical tricks like Sound Burst, Enthralling Melody, etc. Coolness! Magic Flute is also boosted significantly to make up for the absence of trap HLAs who were down right cheesy all the way.

12. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

This is correct, in that no spells have caps higher than 20. :)

Rogue Rebalancing does not add new kits--Song and Silence does, which I recommend using Rogue Rebalancing in conjunction with.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

:doh:

Oops, sorry about that one, I have both, and when you have so many mods things start to get a little blurry, you know? :shake:

14. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

No worries; just thought I should clarify, in case anyone else was wanting to try them out. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.