1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Swashbuckler/Mage questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Arian, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd like to try this interesting multiclass (using Shadowkeeper, obviously) for a run through SoA, all the way through Ascension/Redemption with Tactics and all improved battles. This will be my first attempt at this and I'm wondering what you think of my choice.

How would this compare to a fighter/mage? The hitpoint difference isn't that big a deal since mages are pretty good at not taking damage with a workable spell selection. I'm more curious about the Thac0 and damage numbers. How will it work?

I might be taking one other character (player created since I'll probably do this multiplayer with a friend) so it won't be completely solo, but close. Any tips would be great. Thanks.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Your multiclass will end up with a better AC and better damage than a fighter, since both increase by 1 every 5 Swashbuckler levels (the fighter's don't, so it's easy to do the math). For THAC0, I think the Fighter/mage has the edge here, but it's not really that critical, since you can always use spells to help you with this (Tenser's Transformation will make your THAC0 just as good as a fighter's).

The way I see it, the advantage of having a Swashbuckler rather than a fighter is that you don't have to worry about any traps or locked chests in the game. This is a far better deal IMO than a few extra THAC0 points. And once you get the Thief HLAs, this build becomes great fun :)

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Here are the max base THAC0 values:
    - Fighter/Mage base THAC0 of 0 (at Fighter level 21).
    - Thief/Mage base THAC0 10 (at Thief level 22).

4. Arian Gems: 5/31

Sounds like a winner, thanks for your help. :)

5. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

What about Swashbuckler / Mage dual class? I've been thinking about ditching my current campaign (another boring Archer) and re-starting (I'm a chronic re-starter, I need a support group) as that. From a role-playing perspective it might be neat, but I don't know if it'll work in real life.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Multiclass is WAY better for soloing...you get all those nifty thief HLAs!! :D

7. Koki Gems: 5/31

Forgive my ignorance, but you can make kit-multiclasses via Shadowkeeper? How?

8. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Just start the game as a multiclass thief/mage, save it and then set the class to swashbuckler in the 'kit' box.

9. Koki Gems: 5/31

Ahhh... I would laugh maniacally but it's late. This would be... interesting.

Thanks!

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

By the way, just remember that a thief mage will always end up with a higher / worse attack bonus than a fighter-mage.
    What about FMTs, by the way? I've never tried one myself, but they seem an interesting class.

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

FMTs! Ah, the multiclass combo of champions... :grin: You've stumbled across one of my pet topics, I'm afraid! The FMT is a true one-elf commando unit. The combination of proficiencies, spells & a 5x backstab modifier is truly awesome, not to mention traps and the like, for when the going gets tough. My CG, soloing elvish FMT is probably my favourite character; the way they play suits me down to the ground. I could go on, but I'd only bore everyone. Tears of sheer joy are welling up in my eyes... And I need to go play it. Now.

P.S. I would dread to think of the devastation were someone to nefariously use Shadow Keeper to create such a thing as a Kensai/Mage/Thief ... just ... think ... of ... the ... backstab ... damage ...

*Wipes away drool; brain begins to dribble out of ears in sheer excitement* :spin:

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, since you speak of devastation... A soloing FMT can probably get the experience needed to really become an avatar of divine/infernal backstabbing death with the forbidden Shadow Keeper lore: KMA: Kensai/Mage/Assassin.

If the magpie stops writing soon, I fear I may be guilty of an unpremediated murder by forum post...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.