1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Keeping BG2 Alive o_O

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by VStyle_Gove, Feb 8, 2006.

1. VStyle_Gove Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I finished SoA for the 8th time and TOB for the 2nd time last week, and I gotta tell ya, It was hard going through SoA AGAIN, with TOB much less painfull. This time I played a Kensai Theif which really became fun in the TOB parts of the game.

But seriously I think BG2 might be over for me, I've done nearly every class. I was thinking maybe I should trying a Cleric/Mage as that should be fairly interesting, maybe as a female bhaalspawn?

The ultimate question IS: Has anyone here played the game more than me, and how do you keep the game interesting?

Since I'm picking up PS:T, I'll probably end up playing BG2 in a year or so. o_O

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Have you tried any of the mods. I've reqad that Unfinished Business add a lot of content. There are a lot of mods that change and add content. I tend to play them in cycles, and work my way around the different games.

3. VStyle_Gove Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've never installed mods because I get this 'Cheap-Third-Party-Nonofficial' kinda feeling. Theres no additional official dialoge from NPCs etc. Plus a lot of mods make the game unbalanced and too easy.

4. Aahz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

After eight times through, surely you feel the game is too easy already. Why not install those mods which make it more difficult? That may maintain your interest if you enjoy the challenge.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Maybe it is over for you. If so, you've managed to get pretty good value for money out of it so don't feel too bad. 8 times through is a decent effort. I know I'd struggle to play it more than 2 or 3 times through. There are plenty of other games out there so why not try them?

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How do you know you'd get that feeling if you've never installed them? Seriously, some mods are very good. And please don't tell me you're one of those "I-refuse-to-install-anything-that-desecrates-the-gift-from-god-that-we-refer-to-as-BG2" nutjobs ( :p ) - it is just a game, after all.

Try Banter Pack. Or Unfinished Business. No, not official, but still good.

7. Aahz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I second Splunge's notion. A lot of the dialog is very well written and after all, the worst case scenario? Uninstall it. It can't hurt.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Play something else for a while. I napped my way through most of the first BG when I played daily. Now I just cram in a couple hours. Of course, this time through is for more fun in BG2 - an all dual class party.

I'd suggest putting BG2 down for a time and do something else. Not even another BIS/Bioware game.

9. Zamiel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If you haven't played an all-evil party--and can deal with its more difficult and less-trodden path--I recommend you give that a try (Valen sure is fun to have in your party). Like the others have suggested you should try some of the mods, including the alternate romances. Also, you can try installing the DLTC Editor and creating all kinds of funky weapons, spells, etc.

I've recently started a new game after having taken more than a year off and I'm having a great time--I just try not to play for more than a couple hours at a time, and no more than two or three times a week.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, I took a year off between my two efforts at BGII and it's great because I've completely forgotten most of the stuff that happened first time around so other than knowing the NPCs and the general idea of what is going to happen, it's like playing a new game.

11. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I find that trying to solo with as many different classes as possible makes a huge challenge and a difference. The different strategies between a Shapeshifter and an Assassin for example are great!

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Install some cool beyond mods like Tactics, Imp. Battles, Ascenison, Oversight, Imp.Asylum, etc. these will change BG2 into a new, challenging and unique game! Leave your prejudice and try them, they are so easy to install and totally party-friendly! You will be very suprised when you will need different tactics and you will have good heart-beats once again! Please!

13. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Heh, I have uninstalled and then suddenly got an urge to play this game many times, in a new style.

My friend gave me the damn game because it was too complicated to him, I loaded it up and holy sh!t my party got owned in the first encounter with a tiny memphis. I didn't know BG2 was that great of a game, but the story looked cool, I finished it with a lot of cheats, hacks, and FAQs (needless to say, shame on me ._~)

Few months later, got a hang of the basics, made another run with a heavy tanked party, I didn't get pissed at NPCs' flaws anymore, they're all good :)

Then someone amazed me with his dual weilding pure Kensai + improved haste. Before then, I didn't even know what the heck is 9 atks/round, and Viccy with the Crom Fayer is just great as a fighter ^^

And finally, I know how to use spells, screw the companions, feel the power when roaming around with a full spell stock, or when unleash them all to a dragon, in a few seconds :shake:

Now I'm soloing a wild mage, sure he's unpredictable, but that is what I like about him, I like lotto :lol: I have tried the Wild Sorcerer, but he's too good at getting a favored wild surge, and ends up overpowered, no fun. :p

Maybe one day I don't mind micromanament anymore, I will play a Blade. Or if I get the courage to spend a day for just one battle I definitely try a Druidic Sorc + all the challenge - heavy mods like Silverstar :)

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Hey it is not that bad, I never spent an entire day for a single fight, though I spent hours of frustration till I find the right tactics. You are free to do so, and if you are stuck I am more than willing to help ya! Or anybody! ;)

15. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

No thanks, I exactly hate an hour of frustration. I can't be satified with help or cheat, but cannot just leave it and go back to life either ._~

16. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

I'm just amazed that anyone has the time to complete the BG games. It took me about five years to get round to finishing the first game. I do like to be pretty thorough in quests and that stuff, though, so I suppose that partly accounts for it.

17. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

No it doesn't. Five years? What the hell? :skeptic:

18. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I had a break with this game for around four years, and when I reinstalled it, I remembered how good it actually was considering the depth of the game. Also I found this forum AND learned about mods like questpack and unfinished business, so here I am again stuck with this wonderful game :)

19. Madafaka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Mods of all kinds are great for keeping the interest alive, and even the not-so-good mods have fun bits in them. I generally have some 25-30 going at once (counting the components rather than whole mods), but still I tend not to finish SoA since it gets rather boring after the Underdark -- time to install a couple more mods and restart the game!

20. Warmonger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Since I've bought it about 2,5 years ago, I've started the game 6 times. I reached the final battle only twice :p and Ascension doesn't seem to work properly for unknown reason(s), so I've never FINISHED the game. Anyway, I still hhave fun of taking new NPCs and items, mods, qests and reinstalling the game two times a week :p .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.