1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How did you beat the Master Wraith? (spoiler)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by biggreenpriest, Jul 13, 2001.

1. [​IMG] I'm finding that outside of some sneaky cheat, I cannot win this battle without terrible losses.

I have

Assassin
    Savrok
    Imoen
    Jaheira
    Hair-Doo-less

I've done basic prep spells, including resistance to fear, a must with this fight.

Unfortunately, negative plan protection lasts only a few rounds, far to short for this fight.

I've summoned creatures like Skel. Warriors and Fire Elementals (and one Wizard Eye).

I line them up, run back and cast spells into the fray.

But the shades nuke my summoned creatures too quickly to do big damage to them. Then they come through and kick my buttocks with the unrighteous boot of death, as Minsc would say.

My next idea is to (don't laugh) web all my team but the lead character in place, so they won't walk up and get too close to the wraith. Then cast other web-type spells into the oncoming hoard, (which I will be a safe distance from) leaving my archers and prismatic sprays and ice storms to kill them.

This is a stupid trick, though. I'd like another solution.

My group AC is part of the problem. I started a game from scratch and your armor options are pretty bad in the beginning. I do cast defensive harmony, but it has not made much difference.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Do you not have any items that provide Negative Plane Protection? I had two, so I had those two people intervene with any of the level draining monsters. If I couldn't intervene (the monster would still go after someone else) I had everyone else attack that monster to kill it as quickly as possible. Not all of the monsters are level draining as far as I could determine. At the end, only Valygar had gotten level drained at all.

3. BTA, when you start from scratch, you are given no items to protect you from drain.

I do have to go here next, before going to the mountains, right? I've just done the big fight with Yaga's men and the Fire Giants, which was a blast. I have two choices, the Temple and the Mountain thing.

Perhaps I need to go the mountain first, grow up a little more, and come back?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, you can go to the mountain, but you won't know what you're looking for... Not that that matters if you grab everything! :)

No level drainers in the mountain that I recall...

5. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

recipe for beating that wraith:

negative plane protection on fighters

add 1-2 clerics casting holy smite

beat on the undead until they die

6. If you have converted to the faith, as have I, you would have little trouble, using your Undead Hunter.
    However, for those who have not seen the light, run away and hide behind a summoned deva, a clay golem from the tome, and anything else you can find.

7. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

3 sunrays. One from daystar sword, one from helm of brilliance, one from viconia. End of story.

8. Krischi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Get Anomen. Turn Undead. End of story. The creatures, except for the master wraith, don't stand a chance against a high-level cleric with that ridiculously overpowered ability. The rest is so easy that I was able to finish the battle without a single level drain.

[This message has been edited by Krischi (edited July 14, 2001).]

9. Mohag Gems: 1/31

I suggest you go through Watcher's Keep first. I had the same problem. Come back in another ten levels or so. Saradush will be able to hold off the giants until then.

10. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Not too happy about this post if my memory serves me correct.I thought Gorion was the dude that helped you in BG. If that is the case than I'm not to happy about finding out he has become some wraith by scanning a message board. I haven't beaten BG2 yet and I hope this doesn't ruin part of the story whether or not its in ToB or SoA.When friends come back to kill you its cool, but only when its a surprise. If I am off base on any of this I apologize.

11. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Slackertoast, if you don't have ToB then why were you reading the ToB forum if you don't want to read any spoilers?

[This message has been edited by Avarahtar (edited July 20, 2001).]

12. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31

Because I like to check out a game before I buy it. This is usually good place to see opinions on the game. I would probably get it anyway but I wanted to check. There is always so much info on the boards plus I just like to find little spots like the one on the Planescape board where they have continued the story on their own.Subjects should not give away parts of the game.

[This message has been edited by Slackertoast (edited July 20, 2001).]

Subject Edited. :D

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 20, 2001).]

13. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

One sunray from viconia and poof there goes the master wraith.
    what a lucky roll :) The fight ended before I could get a kick out of it

14. Immoral Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Here's one that I thought you all might get a kick out of.

In one of my times through BG2, my PC was a Ranger/Cleric. He chose the evil path through Hell for the Blackrazor, for thiefly companion of course, and that changed his alignment to LE.

I really didn't even notice it until we got the the temple and the wraiths attacked us. Well I decided to use his TU for the first time since the Unseeing Eye quest and you can just imagine my shock when instead of the wraiths going kaboom, they turned and came under my control.

And if that wasn't enough, poor Keldorn was turned and started running from me like I was death incarnate. LOL

I guess you just had to be there. :D

-Immoral

15. Athalon Gems: 5/31

Holy nuts are you joking!! That is so kicking! Turn Undead like I and everyone said before is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY ... VERY POWERFUL. Well against undead. Makes vamps look like a joke and those magic resistant Skeleton Warriors a CINCH

16. Horvath Gems: 1/31

About that plan with the web and stuff, I don't think you're gonna actually hold someone with it because everyone has ultra-low saving throws.
    Just use sunray.

17. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

ok, how could anyone have problems with the master wraith. Before the battle i had edwin cast spell sequencer (3 magic missiles), Minor spell sequencer (2 magic missiles), and Spell Trigger(3 magic missiles), Then start the battle, cast time stop, unleash all 3 sequencers and 2 dragons breaths and clobber him with sarevok, main guy and korgan. One dead master wraith.

[This message has been edited by Acemandoo (edited August 09, 2001).]

18. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Whatever this wrath is it was easy as pie to kill cause I never took notice. I thought they were just common enemies.

19. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

When I cam to the wraith room, I was not prepared. I had a perty of three - My Sw/Mage, Viconia and Korgan.

My char and Viconia got almost instantly instantly held by some spell or trap - however thay were able to get off one Sunray each (CLeric spell + Daystar).

I thought that was the end of it, and prepared to reload. Then I thought: what the heck, and Enraged Korgan.

He dual-wielded all those undead (Crom + Upg. Mace of Disruption), Wraith included, to death alone, taking some 80-100 damage on insane mode. He had 197 hp and regenerated VERY fast, so the damage was not a problem.

20. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Modjahed,
    I admire your perserverence. So many times have I almost reloaded just to hang in the battle I find I could come out on top anyway. Usually it's forgetting to make use of a certain ability a character or item has (in this case Korgan and his enrage). It can be easy to do that with all the abilities this game has, but that's one of the things that makes it so good. As for my battle with the Master Wraith a swift dispel magic brought down his fireshield blue defense while turn undead kept his minions away. Then we all surrounded wraith boy and the rest was history.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.