1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wild mage additions

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by TrueBlueAussie, Nov 27, 2006.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I downloaded this mod because it looked pretty good but I cannot get it to work. The weidu installer worked and it says that the components are now in BG2 and Easytutu but when I start a new game I cannot see the new kit on the class screen and if I make an ordinary wild mage, the new spells are not available to him. It looks great but then again, so did the Druidic Sorcerer. Has anyone else had any problems with this mod?

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

IIRC, you need to start as a wild mage, and have an encounter with a mad wild mage in the game, so try resting outside areas. When (and IF) you can kill the mad mage (he is TOUGH!) his items will help you to enable wild mage additions. ;)

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Is it just a random encounter? And what about the extra kit?

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

It is not a random encounter, it is bound to be happen if you have a wild mage and rest in wilderness. (%100 chance!)

You WILL have the new kit/powers/spells etc. the mod offers when you kill that wild mage and use his item to 'upgrade your kit'. Check read me file for more details.

BUT I am not sure if it works in TuTu. That wild mage is pretty tough, there is NO way you can beat him with a level 1 Wild Mage and, say, lvl 1 thief Imoen. :mommy:

5. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Cheers Silverstar. That helps heaps though I am not to sure about Tutu as the compatability file on the site said that it was completely compatable with Tutu.

Edit: I tried it with Tutu and I found the mage and needless to say, I didnt last long with only Imoen and myself.

[ November 27, 2006, 11:58: Message edited by: TrueBlueAussie ]

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

No problem, glad to be of help!

Though I must say I am sorry that you can not beat that mage in TuTu. Well I like challenges, but even I concur that there are impossible things in the game:you can not even touch that...freakshow when you are sooo low level. Maybe you should uninstall the mod and wait till SoA. Or, if you want to experience the new kit badly, just....CTRL+Y the wild mage, as dastardly as it sounds. :aww:

7. Cantlos Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Where is this mod to be found? It sounds kinda cool.

8. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

This is the page with the mod download for you Cantlos. I have found it to be an extremely good mod so far

And Silverstar, it is possible to beat him with a level 1 party. On the readme, the author of the mod states that you just have to live long enough for a wild magic backlash to occur when the mage casts a spell. I waited for this for about 2 minutes for it to occur and when it did he changed himself into a harmless squirrel. I would say this event is coded into the mages script as well so you dont have to run around avoiding him for ages until he polymorphs himself.

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Nice job! What do you think of the kit, then? Is it good? Should I get it for my next run? Have any bugs?

10. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

The kit is GREAT. I am having sooo much fun with it. The weaveshear ability is really good as it makes every spellcaster within 30 feet of the caster have wild surges whenever they try and cast a spell. The limited number of spells is really well counter balanced by the new abilities and better fighting skills. The only bug that I have found so far is that if you are lawful and you cast the spell to become the spellshaper and you get all of the abilities that way, then you can also get the kit again through the chaotic/neutral way (getting damaged to around 25% health) which gives you another pick at the special abilities. Extremely cheesy at higher levels but can be easily countered if you just make a character who is not lawful.

11. Cantlos Gems: 3/31

From what i read so far this kit is chaos incarnate. This just screams to me to try it out (with a wisdom of 6... or lower).

Dual Wielding, backstabbing, and a VERY unreliable form of magic? Count me in!

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Heh heh sounds like fun indeed. If there are no bugs at all...druidic sorcerer was VERY fun and powerful but had...just too many bugs for my tastes. :(

13. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Having extra spells can be great provided they're not overpowered, but backstabbing and dual wielding for a... Mage? I don't get that part.

I read that you still get the new spells even if you play a regular Wild Mage, is that correct?

14. OTG Gems: 3/31

From reading the pdf about the kit, the Spellshaper gets a much reduced spell progression and cannot use ranged weapons, so gets a better THAC0 progression, the ability to dual wield and put 2 * in dagger proficiency, etc. It seems to be a much weakened wild mage and a much weakened assassin, and looks like a whole heap of fun to play!

15. Cantlos Gems: 3/31

Caradhras: Yes, from what I figured out so far, yes, you can learn the new spells without taking the kit. One of the spells will give you the kit, though, so you shouldn't cast it if you don't want it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.