1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by GabrielNYC, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Kowalski Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

One of the things i really miss in the Baldurs gate series in general is wizard staves that actually are usful to a wizard. In other words staves that give some + to intelligence, spellcasting time or such, most staves now are plain combat staves that seldom are used by anyone (since if you want to be a fighter, you probably use a sword or an axe). The result is that the mage doesnt walk around looking cool with a stave, but is walking around with a silly looking sling...
    So what I want to say is: why not give Gandalfs stave for example +1 to mage levels, or ability to memorize more spells along with some charged spells (should probably be fire related spells since that is Gandalfs "element", he is a "wielder of the secret flame", and was brought to the world to lit the fires of hope in to the people of midgard...).

2. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] This is great..thanks for the info about his staff. Right then, this is my list of things to do so far:

-Swords for Aragorn (maybe his bow?), Frodo, Pippin and Merry (did sam have a weapon? I dont remember)

-Legolas' bow, the Bow of Galadriel, his two short swords

- gimli's great axe, his throwing axes

- gandalf's sword and staff

- boromir's sword, shield and the horn of gondor

- those cloaks the elves gave the fellowship (I forget the names)

- lembas! :lol:

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While the idea of Tolkien weapons and items sounds cool, I personally would not get carried away with adding features that don't have a basis in the literature.

If Boromir's horn could summon warriors, chances are that he would have survived his heroic defence of Merry and Pippin.

The horn does however seem able to instill temporary fear in one's opponents, akin to a Horror spell.

On the other hand, there's also room for items that weren't explicitly described in the books. Even after coming back more powerful than ever, Gandalf was cautious about walking into Orthanc.
    Even after Saruman's staff was shattered, Gandalf commented that Saruman may still have power enough within Orthanc to resist the Nine riders.

Hmmmm ....

4. Rift DoomHammer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok, I feel like a newbie asking this question but here goes anyway. About all of this weapon moding, is this done for BG2:Tob, like how is it done using a type of trainer? This really interested me so I thought I'de respond any help would be much appreciated.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] No, there's nothing ToB-specific about modding. Anyway, ToB should not be mentioned in this forum and since the original poster obviously posted this in the wrong forum since he has ToB, I'm moving the topic to the ToB forum.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Aren't legolas' swords more like daggers??

They are IMO way to short for even a short sword.

7. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

They are bloody daggers and Éomer's sword is named Guthwine. (Funny name)

8. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] For the sake of visuals in the game, take a look at this...Legolas' daggers

So what does everyone think? Should I use the dagger or short sword paperdoll in the game? Or what about the scimitar paperdoll?

[ March 10, 2003, 17:54: Message edited by: GabrielNYC ]

9. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

A short sword is only about 1 and a half feet long, or about as long as your forearm. i think a short sword is better suited, but its up to you.

10. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

Well I'd prefer to use the short sword paperdoll but it's about how most would react to it, you know?

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Those look like short swords to me.

12. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] Exactly..the weapons in the link appear to be short swords despite the fact the sign says daggers. I know dagger look like swords but the length of those two weapons certainly look longer than any dagger I've seen.

Now then, does Boromir's sword have a name? What about his shield?

[ March 11, 2003, 19:38: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

13. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Sting was "a knife in a leather sheath. It would have been only a tiny pocket-knife for a troll, but it was as good as a short sword for the hobbit."

Also, what about Bard's Black Arrow? It had been in Bard's family for years, it "never failed" and had always been recovered. An arrow that automatically hits and that your dead foe will drop when it dies? It was the one weapon that damaged Smaug, and by it's one strike it killed him. An arrow of dragon slaying? This was one bad arrow! Die, Firkraag, Die! And you too, Draconis! Bring it on, Abazigal! That's the weapon I would most like to have in my personal collection.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That sounds a little overpowered don't you think?

By the way...I'm making a new creature moddeled after those black dragon type things the Nazgul rode in LotR...but I forgot what they're called. :rolling:

15. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

They would be the Fell Beasts. I always think of them as similar to a Pterodactyl, with pretty tough hide, a wicked bite and a poison/disease attack.

16. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

That's abrilliant idea for the game. I think that Legolas daggers could be counted as scimitars too. They are too long to be a dagger too small to be a long sword. Just a suggestion. :confused: And the armors too they are so cool. And the rings and how about the staff of Gandalf and everything i would say. Just inform us please!!!!!!!! :cool:

17. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

[​IMG] Are you sending those .itm files?

And, BTW, permanent invisibility does not work.
    Do NOT do the Ring.

18. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] The ring was just an idea... :p

Doesn't Staff of the Magi give invisibility? :confused:

19. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

An arrow of dragon slaying would definitely be a powerful weapon, and might imbalance game play. I'm just saying it might describe Bard's arrow. What other arrow could kill a beast like Smaug in one shot? There are plenty of other "instant kill" weapons in the game, like Crom and the vorpal weapons (the Silver Sword, the Axe of the Unyielding and that halberd [Ravager?]). And Sarevok has his deathbringer assault on top of that. Anyway, it would probably be hard to get it to work without some spell prep, given that all the drakes have high magic resistance.

20. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

The arrow is an idea..maybe script it so it doesnt affect non-dragon/demonic creatures? Or instead of just outright killing maybe stunning them.

So many questios and ideas, so little time..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.