1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by GabrielNYC, Mar 7, 2003.

1. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I was thinking of making items based on the arms used by the Fellowship. Where can I get the names and history of them? I know someone may say get the book, but I've been to Barnes & Noble three times this month and they're still out. Help?

[ March 09, 2003, 10:58: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

i would say go to goole and search glamdring(gandalf's sword). I did so and got the link The encyclopedia of arda: Glamdring. it looks promising. go to http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

good luck

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Do, do it!

And send me a zip with *.itm files and descs in a txt.

I am waiting the older ones too...

4. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] Ok thanks for the point in the right direction... cept for one thing. Aside from gandalf's sword, I don't know the names of the other weapons :doh:

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here's what I can remember offhand:

Sting - an Elven Dagger turned sword for Bilbo and later Frodo. Glows in the dark when the enemy is near of course. Bilbo thrust it into heavy wood furniture with little effort, so it would have to be quite powerful.

Narsil, later named Anduril - Aragorn's sword, which only he can use as the heir of Elendil. Men of Gondor regard it as an omen of hope in the war against Sauron, and it was the sword that cut the ring from Sauron's hand, so this would have to be really powerful as well. It also filled the hosts of Dagorlad with fear because it glowed with the light of the sun.

Aeglos - spear of the elven-king Gilgalad. There are references to it both in LOTR and the Silmarillion.

Anglachel - a sentient sword forged of black meteorite iron which Turin used to slay the first dragon, Glaurung.

Dragon-Helm of Dor-lomin - Apparently it allowed its former Dwarven bearers and Turin to withstand Glaurung's fiery breath.

Merry and Pippin's blades of westernesse - They found them during their misadventure in the Barrow Downs. They were forged by Aragorn's ancestors, and Denethor also recognized them as crafts of Westernesses. Aragorn also says that they were 'wound about with spells for the ruin of Mordor'. In fact, the LOTR is explicit that they were enchanted specifically to sever the link between a Nazgul and the ring he bore.

Eomer and Theoden each have their own swords, though I don't remember the names; +1 weapons maybe?

Ringil - Fingolfin's sword, which glittered like ice. Must be pretty powerful because it caused Morgoth no small amount of pain.

If I can think of anymore, I'll post again.

6. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Why don't you take the armors as well? It could be very exciting to play with a party equipped with LOTR items...not only their weapons but their armors and shields too! Imagine the Mithril Armor used by Frodo...very nice!!! And the cloaks given from Galadriel...yeah, very very nice! :cool:

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    LotR items...that's a pretty good idea. I might have to steal it though...

Anyway, here's a link to a list of swords from the movie: LotR Swords Hope that helps. :rolling:

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If Sting was a dagger turned sword, it was one heckuva big dagger given the width of the blade as shown in the film -- slight glitch in the movie!

9. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Wasn't Sting a short sword turned halfling-long sword? :confused: It's been a while since I read the books...

10. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I would think it would be a short sword.

What about the Ring!? :evil:

Permanent Invisibility
    Permanent Protection from Normal Weapons
    Permanent Protection from all types of Poison
    25% Res to all Element damage (Fire/Ice/Acid/etc...)
    10% Magic Res
    +1 AC

Summon a Lich (Nazgul) once per day
    Emotion Hopelessness once per day
    Greater Malison once per day
    Death Spell once per day

I know that's a lot...
    But it is the Ultimate Evil Ring! :p

11. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Perhaps a reputation slip as well? As close as you can get to Frodo's gradual slide into darkness. :) Or the script or whatever that goes with the Slayer transformation!

12. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I thought Sting was one of the swords that Bilbo and the dwarves found in the troll cave in The Hobbit. Didnt it say that it used to belong to a giant, and was a dagger, but it was so large it made a good short sword for a halfling?

13. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I thought that it was a sword made for a young prince (elf?). That's why it was a little on the small side. Short Sword for sure. ;)

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    iirc, there is a dagger in SoA called "Longtooth", it's a dagger with a longer blade than most daggers...have you guys considered that? :rolling:

15. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] WOW thanks for the feedback everyone!

One final thing..what are the weapons of Gimli and Legolas called? Their blades would be an interesting addition

[Sigh. Write it down somewhere not to use sigs, will you? I really don't want to have to delete them manually from your posts.] -Tal

[ March 09, 2003, 10:57: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

16. Kowalski Gems: 2/31

I dont think Legolas' and Gimli's weapons are unique, however they are probably quite powerful or made with great skill. Legolas bow should be some sort of Elven Bow, perhaps a bit quicker and thac0 and damage +1 or 2, and same thing with Gimlis axe. The problem is that there are no two handed axes in baldurs gate (because Gimlis axe should probably count as that). But perhaps a war axe +2... Another solution is to name them "Elven bow of Legolas" and "Battle axe of Gimli" or something like that, and then, since they are unique, they could be made more powerful... Good luck with the weapons, Im trying to find some ancient weapons from Midgard... Ill come back if I remember any.

Edit:
    Ok found some:

Belthronding - Beleg the elven archers bow.

Angrist: or "Iron Cutter", apparently some sort of knife that was incredibly sharp and could cut through iron, forged by the blacksmith Telchar.

Aranúth: or "Wraith of Kings", the sword of the warrior Rhingol, which later served as the royal weapon of the kings of Númenor, probably very powerful.

Grond: Morgoths gigantic warclub (Morgoth is the "satan" of Midgard and Saurons master). Its a Gods weapon, and probably too powerful to use in the game (it would probably be a couple of meters long...), but... might be fun, only wieldable by evil of course.

Glamdring: The sword that Gandlaf used, a very old and probably very powerful sword, that, like Sting, glowed when enemies were about. I would give it a lot of fire damage as well as some +. Covered in runes

Orcrist: Glamdrings brother, worn by Thorin Oakenshield.

Nauglamír: A Necklace that holds one of the Silmarils, i find no info on what powers it holds but its probably very powerful.

Rings of the elves: Perhaps the most interesting rings for use in a game, they are: Nenya, Ring of water, worn by Galadriel, Narya, Ring of fire, worn by Gandalf and Vilya, Ring of Air, worn by Elrond (earlier Gilgalad).

Ringal: sword of the hero Fingolfin, who once used it to wound Morgoth, "glittered like ice".

...Angrachel, the meteor iron sword that Beren mentions above, has a brother, the Anguriel, made and worn by Eöl the Dark Elf (he who also made the Anglachel, but gave it to Thingol, who later gave it to Beleg (and Beleg then passed it on to Turin...). Both of the sword are black.

...Gilgalads spear, The Aeglos, is also called "snowpoint" (i think, "snöspets" in swedish =) ), which might give some hint on its characteristics.

Hopes this helpes, would also be fun to see Boromirs horn and perhaps Gandalfs and Sarumans staffes. And dont forget the mithril armour =).

Edit #2:

The dragon helm of Dor-lómin that Beren speaks of above has the shape of a dragons head (the dragon Glaurung) and was wearable by very few, probably has a very high str requirement.

Remember that most of these weapons are very very powerful items and are considered relics in Midgard...

[ March 09, 2003, 23:30: Message edited by: Kowalski ]

17. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] This is excellent, so much material to work with.
    I'll start some notes on the weapons used by the fellowship, then get cracking on the others.

As for the swords wielded by Legolas, are they scimitars or short swords? I was thinking of giving them a bonus to thaco and an extra attack per round. As for the names, maybe gaelic for Speed and Hope.

As for Gimli's axe...hmm, the name would be Strength but in what language? Gaelic also? German? One of the norse languages?

Boromir's Horn of Gondor would have similiar effects to a horn of blasting (maybe?), luck bonus maybe even bless?

18. Kowalski Gems: 2/31

Why not use Quenya, Tolkiens own elvish tounge;
    Speed: Horta
    Hope: Estel
    Hortalë Estel: Speeding Hope
    (Strong: tulca, Strength: tuo)

I found a quite nice website for this, however the language has its own grammar and chances are that things dont ger correct;
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/2196/

Isn't Legolas simply wielding a slender longsword?

A cool effect of Boromirs horn would be if it summoned a couple of Gondor warriors (like the horn of valhalla), kinda resembles its original purpose (to call for help in needy situations).

19. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31

Gimli's axe's name? IN KHAZAD, of course!!!!!

20. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] Of course! The horn of gondor can summon warriors! why not?! its brilliant! spectral gondor fighters in full plate. i can see it now..

as soon as i get back my upgraded computer, ill reinstall BG2:ToB and get to work.

not too sure about gandalf's staves. any thoughts?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.