1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: fave character and some other minor questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Zen, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Zen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Who is your favorite character and a couple other questions

[ October 28, 2003, 23:02: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 3 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.
    Voting starts at October 19, 2003 18:30 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: fave charcter and some other minor questions (43 votes.)

who is your favorite character out of the following? (Choose 1)
    * Aerie - 9% (4)
    * Minsc - 16% (7)
    * Mellisan - 0% (0)
    * Irenicus - 2% (1)
    * Sarevok - 9% (4)
    * Yoshimo - 0% (0)
    * Haer'Dalis - 7% (3)
    * Viconia - 9% (4)
    * Edwin - 7% (3)
    * Valygar - 2% (1)
    * Jaheira - 7% (3)
    * Imoen - 5% (2)
    * Mazzy - 2% (1)
    * Keldorn - 5% (2)
    * Korgan - 2% (1)
    * Anomen - 2% (1)
    * Cernd - 2% (1)
    * Jan - 12% (5)

Do you think they should make a balder's gate 3? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, Definetly!!!!!!! - 42% (18)
    * yeah it might be interesting depending what it was based on - 33% (14)
    * it all depends - 23% (10)
    * hell no!!! they take up too much time, and werent worth the effort inthe end. - 2% (1)

What would you want it to be about? (Choose 5)
    * a prequel; the childhood of the characters (and maybe find out what minsc was like before he went insane) - 9% (4)
    * a continuation of the adventures (as either the god or a mortal) - 26% (11)
    * a new series like where your character had a child (and now you play their child) - 30% (13)
    * a new series where you arent related at all to the bhaalspawn but you are hunting them to preveny the prophecy from coming true - 26% (11)
    * other - 42% (18)

2. JamesT Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

A BG3.... awesome thought to contemplate. But, it would be better if they got off the Bhall thing and went to something different. To continue this story would be difficult for any DM's creativity. It could be done but, it would lack the magic that it once had, IMO.

Not only that but, I understand they won't make another game with the infinity engine anymore. These game designers should come to Sorcerer's Place and see the money they're missing out on.

BG series is one tough act to follow. It would be a valiant undertaking indeed to try and follow in these footsteps.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Favorite NPC: Jaheira all the way. Of course, most SP vets know what to expect from me in this regard.

Definitely want a BG3.

Other:

My idea for a plot. I think Bane's resuurection provides excellent source material for another game. He and Cyric have quite the grudge going back to the Time of Troubles. FR sources allude to an inevitable and terribly destructive conflict between these two greater powers of evil.

Three alternate storylines ...

Work your way up in Bane's hierarchy, and help the Black Lord triumph over Cyric and the forces of good along the way.

Work your way up Cyric's ranks and help the Prince of Lies over his opposition.

Play a good guy who's somehow trying the minimize the harm done to the innocent of Faerun, and bring the both the churches of Bane and Cyric to heel during their conflict.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Cernd and Haer'Dalis, often hailed as the most useless characters in the multiverse, are my two favorite characters (I voted Cernd in the poll, although I did misclick on Jan; he's a loveable gnome too, though).

I really don't want to see a BG3, simply because it'd be on a big scale if it was a continuation of SoA/ToB. It would be interesting, however, to have BG3 as a set of multiple adventures concerning each NPC had they not stuck with the PC.

Minsc might travel north, meet up with a witch NPC (or it might just feature Minsc and Aerie, probably a better idea), and become a hero in his own right there.

Yoshimo, away from the PC, might travel back to his homeland, in the search of a way to rid himself of the dread curse Irenicus placed on him.

Just some thoughts. I think it'd be nice, except that only the players of ToB would probably be able to appreciate in its whole depth.

5. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Fave? Minsc most probably.
    BG3? For sure.
    Plot? Well, I don't know a great deal about RPG's and particularly this realm but I'd like to see continued adventures of the same characters maybe, also perhaps with the PC's child grown and along for the ride. Ideally I guess (May sound likke too much to ask) it would be interesting to see one where the whole child-along-for-the-ride thing would be determined by the path taken in BG2, maybe something in the game would be able to pick up on whether or not the PC (if continued from BG2) had a child with an NPC or not...

6. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I voted for Viconia because she is a very interesting character and has great dialogue. Haer'Dalis is probably number two. And Jan Jansen is great as well and will always have my respect for calling Sarevok 'Binky'.

I definitely do NOT want a BG3. There was closure at the end of BG2 and I see no reason for continuing the series. I would much rather see an entirely new saga... A new Planescape game, a Ravenloft game, a (good) Greyhawk game... A game with a baldur's gate/torment quality story and dialogue is all I'm asking for. :)

7. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

imoen, i've always been a sucker for good aligned and kind people.

BG3? hmm.....if the throne of bhaal expantion pack had been more in the line of "tales of the sword coast" just adding new quests (as watchers keep) and new stuff (and so on) they could made bg3 take care of the end of the prophecy in a much larger scale and then also add yet another expansion pack. (i feel that throne of bhaal was a cheap solution to end the bg series).

Else i have to agree on Beren's ideas, good work Beren :D

A last word is that bg3 should continou on the old story and not make a new one or go completely lost such as baldurs gate: dark alliance.

8. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I voted for Haer Dalis - he's great and has some good lines too. A good RP character.

As for BG3, I'm tired of playing level 30+ ueber characters. BG2 may be the best game in terms of story, graphics, and general playability, but IWD2 had the latest rules and started at level 1, which I think was better.

9. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Maybe just an oversight, but I didn't see Nalia on the list (I prefer her over Imoen for reasons I've expanded upon before). Anomen is also a fav, so he got the vote.

While I voted for a BG3 where the story follows you either as a god or a mortal, I have to admit that taking the Bhaal saga further would be difficult for developers and potentially boring for others. I would be interested in seeing what they could do, but the replay factor would be pretty slim.

Now a good Ravenloft story would be sweet. There were a couple created several years ago, but they weren't all that great (i.e., they sucked).

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, I would love another BG styled game, but I do not think it should be a continuation of the BG story line, so BG3 would not be the appropriate moniker. It wouldn't make sense to go back in time to the PC's childhood, as it seems most of what took place was in the confines of Candlekeep, and up until the day you leave was rather uneventful.

Moreso, ToB brought closure the the BG storyline. Any continuation beyond that is silly. While the PC's adventuring days may not be over, by the time you become a god, or have built up 8 million XP, it's safe to say you've reached the pinnacle of your career. What would be the point of going beyond that with the characters? I would prefer a new series, new plot line, where you start from scratch with a level 1 character.

11. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I voted Keldorn as my favourite character.

I would enjoy a BG3, just because the series is fun.

I'd love to see a plot where Drizzt comes to you for help. You travel with Drizzt, Wulfgar, Bruenor, Cattie-brie and Regis. You meet with all the folks from the books to like Entreri, Harkle, Alustriel, Melichor, and so on.

12. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't think Drizzt is a good idea. You can kill him in BG 2, and if you did, why should he ask you for help? That wouldn't make sense, so that story would only work for good charakters who didn't kill him.

13. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Even though i voted for a BG3 with a continuation of the Bg2 story instead of the cheap closure ToB provided(no offence meant), I think it would be good for a game centred around Elminster or maybe Raelis Shar. I think they should keep the Bladur's Gate 2 @nd edition rules however, instead IWD2's rules or Lionhearts more Diablo based gameplay.

14. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hard for me to pick a favorite NPC, I think they all have their charms....

I'd say "no" to a BG3, for all of the reasons already stated above, but I would like to see a real "dungeon crawl," starting at first levle nad working your way up from there, with a number of NPCs who can join you, and lots of outlying areas to visit and explore as dictated by the discoveries made during your spelunking expedition.

Frankly, once I realized the whole Bhaalspawn plotline -- "In the end, there can be only one" -- I almost threw the game in the trash! (Can you tell I HATED "Highlander"?) "Why does the PC have to be a demigod to make the game more interesting?!" I guess I still have a pet peeve about "powergaming" from some azzholes who infiltrated my old PnP group back in the '80s. :D (You know, the type who thought the game was a competition between the DM on one side and the players on the other -- and sometimes the players against each other.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.