1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Things you would like to change in BG ll

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elvenblade, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have played this game some time now and it is a great game. Still there are some things that I don't like about it.

1. Good aligned pure class mage npc is missing.
    2. More evil npc's
    3. Protect against evil should give a armor class bonus like in BG l
    4. Kensai/Mages should be able to cast stoneskin.

Well there was more, but I have forgotten it.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

1. Nalia and I think Imoen both goes to the highest level in SoA so no pure class mages is needed.

2. I agree. I can only think of these three for now that is evil. I think its more but I'm tired.
    Mage - Edwin
    Fighter - Korgan
    Cleric - Viconia

3. Meaby so, but then a Protection From Good should also exist.

4. They can that. Also, remember, dual class. Otherwise you shouldn't be able to be a kensai. And the Kensai is way to overpowered.

[ June 29, 2003, 21:07: Message edited by: Velve Zauviir ]

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Here are my top 5 choices:

#1: I would make the game include more cities, and different areas of Faerun. That would make the game, more fulfilling, longer, more challenging, and it would bring more depth to the game. I want to see Yoshimo's home town, and see the grove where Jaheria was raised, and maybe even take a voyage to see Aerie's city of the Averial...

#2: I would add more animated movies to the game. And change the few that are in the game already. I highly doubt that the bedrooms at the Den of the Seven Vales looks the same as the ones in Ust Natha...
    Also, I would add the option to skip the movies. I don't like the fact that when entering Spellhold you can't skip the movie.

#3: More dialog, more in-depth romances, just more overall party and non-party interaction. There needs to be a lot more humorous situations like the one with the Beholder in the Sahuagain City.

#4: I want there to be more times when you are faced with a ton of enemies...sort of like the improved Oasis, but with more pikemen, crossbowmen, fighters, and other enemies. I want to fight a "real" army!

#5: More NPCs to choose from to have in your party. There needs to be a balance between the good and evil NPCs. Not a 3/1 ratio... :rolling:

4. Register Gems: 29/31

@Kitrax

1. I don't want to go where Yoshimo lived or Aerie was born, its just too far away. I do, on the other hand, like the outside travelling that existed in BG1. I also want more cities, and it should be the ones from the handbooks, not some made up.

2. Sure, a little more animated movies. But not heaps of them, on a slow cpu the lag as hell. So I also want the "turn of movies" function.

3. Absolutely more dialogs and in-depth romances. But not too many rediclousy ones.
    IE Imoen - "Die, Irenicus! Oh, look, Boo is scratching himself on his nose. Hoooow cuuuuute." That is not good at all.

4. I agree, slaughtering your way thrue heaps of enemies is fun as hell, the only problem is that my slow cpu will lag very often.

5. I agree totally. There should be more thieves than Jan only that is advancing in the thieving class and more evil NPC's. Three just isn't enough.

5. Thewl Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

-there should be better weapons (axes, longswords, BASTARD SWORDS, daggers, etc.), the "good" weapons are badly distributed amongst the weapon classes.

-Paladin's shouldn't be so darn powerful, I mean, with red dragon scale, Holy Avenger and decent stats, you've got pretty much the best character possible (anti-pallie).

-I totally believe there should be a never ending dungeon. Like, you descend stairs have a battle with a random creature, descend, battle, descend battle, and when you want to leave, just go up the stairs you came down and it takes you to the surface.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] More NPCs

More quests

More secrets

More chances to improve your character - both statistically and personality wise

More dialogues and interactions.

And the major NPCs to have their own avatars and paperdolls, that would rule. Be just like PS:T :)

7. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

1: Make the game 100 times larger.
    2: More powerful items and weapons.
    3: More powerful monsters and overall harder battles every now and then.
    4: More events changing your character. Like when you place the Tears of Bhaal.
    5: A more advanced "Record" page.
    6: More races, or rather subraces.
    7: More Kits.
    In short, I want more of the good stuff :D

BG2 is still the best game ever though :)
    But all you modmakers, keep up the good work.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    More Stronghold/Class specific quests, especially those that earned you a cool legendary class-specific item. Why should Paladins have all the fun with Carsomyr?

A new stronghold for the Monk, Barbarian, and Sorcerer.

More cities and locations to travel to (Waterdeep, Neverwinter, etc).

About 3 more kits for each class. Race-specific classes would be cool, as well as subraces for each race.

More NPCs, ALL with at least 1 - 2 quests.

Fix the timing on romances (so Aerie doesn't start a love talk as I'm cleaning orc brains off my shoe from a huge battle that just occured).

More prevelant dealings with civilizations of other races (dwarf clans, halfling communities, etc.). More demi-human encounters.

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Some more things that people did not mention yet:

NPC quests shouldn't be cut off. Like Nalia's.. the last thing that happens is Isaea saying "This is NOT over" or something... and it really is. Same goes for the Cernd baby quest, especially if you don't kill them.

Thief stronghold could be spiced up.

The sword and shield style needs more than just +1 or +2 to AC vs missiles. Maybe add an attack or something to simulate smacking the monster with the shield. Plus the game needs better shields in general.

10. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

My gripe is not really with BG2 per-say; more of D&D in general. I do not like the memorization system of spellcasting. It is entirely too limiting. So try a sorcerer, you say. Still very limiting, perhaps more so.

I much prefer a spell points/mana system with all spells available all the time.

11. icelus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

To build upon what blog mentioned...

I wish that Bioware had continued work on the quests that they eventually cut out. Namely, the ones involving Haer'Dalis, Minsc (the kidnapping of Boo), Aerie, and Viconia. They would have gone a long way to the development of these characters. If someone doesn't get to it first, I just might take the plunge to learn how to mod and finish these quests myself for a mod...

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I hate the spell points/mana system on some of those games. They really piss me off. Dont' know why, so don't ask.

I pretty much second or third what everyone has said so far.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I totally agree, Icelus. In fact, I was hoping that would be precisely what they would have included with the expansion, but they didn't. I like expansions when they add things to the original game, not just tack on a new ending. That sucks. Expansions tend to be a massive waste of an incredible opportunity to spice up and...ahem..EXPAND the original campaign. To wit, they should also use expansions to fill in whatever content was cut from the original release due to time constraints.

14. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

More explorable areas outside the normal ones, they don't have to have a name though(just like in BG1).

More action and quests in the woods, I like the woods :D

A lot more of joinable Npc's to choose from, and they should equal with each other(good,neutral,evil).

The ability to have a horse that you could ride on, and put same of your items in it's saddle.

Familiars for non-mages, and a lot more to choose from. They shouldn't be alignment-wise, but rather character-wise, or you could just select one.

The ability to have a smith forge your own personal equipment, for a fee of course.

...and that's about it :D

15. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i don't think the stronghold quests are balanced. those need you too stay for WEEKS in athkatla, meaning to stay in chapter 2 or 3 and everytime i play the game i have finished all quests to do in these chapters and need to lazy rest several days to get things done. lame.

i want other things to be changed and agree with most of you. but to be realistic, that would be some years more work for blackisle and the game would have never been finished. we all have to thank blackisle for creating the longest and greatest game ever.

16. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    -More decent weapons in each category. I mean, every sword-wielding hero out there would choose Long Swords over Bastard Swords every day. Why? Because Bastard swords has about a total of five special items, while the Longsword have about twenty (not counting stuff like Longsword+1)
    -Evil NPCs are fine, no need to add more. The three evil NPCs avaliable are the toughest NPCs in the game.
    -More banters!
    -More pointless areas with minor quests like in the wildness of BG1.
    -Make the game a little more challenging ala BG1, where you have to actually think. By the end of SoA, most strategies revolve around Time Stop and the stuff you could do with it. When it reaches ToB...well, this isn't the ToB forum.
    -Some kits are way overpowered (cough Kensai cough)
    -SEX MOVIES! Okay, maybe not.
    -Some hilarious choices in dialogue like in BG1, where you could say all kinds of ridiculous things.
    -Some quests could be spiced up. For instance Cernd's quest, or especially Mazzy's quest.
    -Some more powerful magical items.
    -Jan Jansen actually making stuff like Bioware promised (other then his Bruiser Mates)
    -Strongholds needs to be spiced up in general. I mean, the Fighter stronghold is probably the best storywise, while the, say, Cleric stronghold revolves around you choosing the obvious answer.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In random order:

More banters and NPC dialogues

Alignment points. There's no way you deliberately kill an innocent and remain good, no matter your reputation of 20.

More character customisation

Personality traits

The ability to finish off Isaea

The ability to restore Garren to his position

More about Iltha Windspear

Custom weapons, items etc in form of special orders (expensive pleasure of course)

More random encounters, monster respawn and some randomly created dungeons. Since the game is about the completion of some urgent task and not about just living there's no need for a great neverending and totally random dungeon. Perhaps as a bonus for those who have finished the game but have chosen to continue playing?

Viconia should be able to convert to NG if the player tries hard (her level of evilness is pathetic compared to Sarevok).

Jaheira's INT and WIS stats are too low for her brilliant dialogues (I'm still considering a small mod for this purpose but it seems only a few people would be interested).

More learning and teaching.

There's no reason why a paladin should be unable to take care of Nalia's stronghold. In fact paladin seems a better choice in her situation. Also there's no reason for a good-aligned and noble (=of noble character here) fighter not to make it into the Order and go dragon hunting.

Cavalier is originally a fighter kit also available to paladins. It's impossible to implement its PNP hindrances so bonuses should be limited a bit too... but they're way different from the ones implemented in BG2. I'm considering two custom kits here too.

I would enjoy many more stat checks than there are now. Bonus-wise DEX 8 and 14 don't differ, but check-wise 6 points do count.

Paladins should have to tithe.

Maybe some arena like in Might&Magic series?

All for now.

18. Register Gems: 29/31

Sorry for my bad English but what does tithe means?

19. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Expanded Minsc Mod will include some stuff for Minsc. The rest you'll have to find a modder looking for a project, lol.

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    @ Velve

Donate to his/her church. :angel:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.