1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most useless level 9 spells

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mirkwood, Nov 12, 2001.

1. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

energy drain- completly useless ( especially if you use edwin as he is the last person you want in a swarm of baddies)

powerword kill- how often do you find guys with hit points that are that low, might as well let your fighter finish them off

meteor swarm- never use it cause i killed my own people half the time.

there's my 2 cents...

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Timestop.

In the two times I've gone through SoA and the one time through ToB, I've never used this spell once. So I don't see why everyone is making a fuss about it :) I like to kill enemies with swords :grin:

3. Mirkwood Guest

Power Word Kill can be scripted to work really well (there is a scipt command which will tell you when a targets hit points fall below a certain level), many mages in the game use it including Irenicus. So I don't consider PWK all that bad.

I think the consensus (with one out-of-left-field vote for Timestop!... nice trolling there) is Energy Drain.

It gets the medal for most useless level 9 spell.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wildfire ... I'll back you up on the Time Stop thing.

I just can't seem to get it to work right. I only get 2-3 spells fired off, and then time is un-stopped with Edwin saying, "Hey, I know a lot more really vicious things, just let me show you!"

5. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Cast Improved Alacrity first thing in the Time Stop and pause between spells. I got fourty-three spells off in one before.

6. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

AvaLance204, 3 Abi Dalzims in a chain Contingency? You're a very bad, dangerous man!!! ;) I've told all my characters to give you a wide berth too! How did you get 43 spells into a time stop? Do you do time stop-improved alacrity and just pause,spell,pause,spell,etc? Is that what improved alacrity does? I thought my mage was good, but now I'm not so sure...he's currently seeing a doctor in Athkatla for reassurance. :)

7. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Heh. Yeah, Timestop - Improved Alacrity - Then I cast all of my instantaneously-cast spells (The greater majority of them, actually, due to my equipment) at the enemy and raised my defenses. Cast - Autopause - Cast - Autopause...etc. A nice strategy for sorcerers and mages of substantial power everywhere.

8. Lord Sarevok Guest

Um, what's the difference between Powerword: Kill and the Death Spell? No saving throw on either one, and it's 60 hitpoints or less, right? And doesn't Powerword:Kill *only* affect a single creature?

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited December 23, 2001).]

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, Power Word: Kill affects only one creature with 60 HD or less. If it has more, it does no damage.

Death Spell affects a number of creatures and in case of failure (i.e., no insta-death), still does a small amount of damage.

10. Lord Sarevok Guest

Wow, I never knew it did a small amount of damage as well. I thought that was finger of death. I'm talking about the 6th level Death Spell. Thanks for the info.

11. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It doesn't do any damage (at least I haven't noticed any), and it affects creatures with 8 HD or lower (and summons).

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Aaargh, my bad, sorry. The second part (small amount of damage) applies to Finger of Death, NOT the Death Spell. :o

13. Rellik Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

most useless besides ED needs to be imprisonment... why? all the loot gets imprisoned too.

14. Lord Sarevok Guest

Imprisonment, worthless?! Not all monsters carry loot, including Liches, Demons, ect, so there is plenty of use for this spell.

15. I love bg2 Banned

mages in tob are way too over powered when you get to lvl 30+ however my faverite spell is improved alacricty

16. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well I'm still keeping my opinion, that shapechange is of little use for true class mages. Yes-yes!!! Iron golem!!! Wow!!! C'mon! Your base THAC0 will be 13 at the end of the game, minus the Iron golem strenght bonus, that is +6 I think. So your THAC0 will be 7 and you would have one attack per round. This THAC0 is far too weak for tougher enemies(besides you can kill goblins with a single fireball mutch faster:grin: ).
    The other forms are mainly useless because of the bad THAC0(excepted perhaps the mind flayer form, but his psionic blast ability is often resisted). So I think that shapechange is one good looking but worthless spell, like meteor swarm or energy drain.

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited January 16, 2002).]

17. Yogojunzo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Personally, I feel that 'Wish' is pretty useless. In my experience anyways. The effects that the djinni offers you are always random. My sorcerer had a wisdom of 20, and sometimes I still get 5 crappy offers from the djinni.

18. Lord Sarevok Guest

I'm having fun casting improved alracity and then calling down comets like crazy :)! It looks like artillery, hilarious.

Either Powerword: Kill or Energy drain. Why is Powerword: Kill useless? Only kills creatures with 60 hitpoints or less, by the time you can cast this, you can do the same thing with a level 3 spell!

19. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I really don't like:
    Energy Drain
    Absolute Immunity
    Meteor Swarm

I love Chain Contingency, even picks it as a sorcerer (after Time Stop and Wish).

20. Astral-Druid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Either PW: Kill or Energy Drain

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.