1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most useless level 9 spells

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mirkwood, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Mirkwood Guest

Which do you think are the most unworthy of being at level 9 (I'm not including level 10 spells because they are all good).

My vote is for Spellstrike - removes all spell protections from target. I have never once come across an enemy mage with more than one spell protection, they usually have either a Spell Trap or Spell Turning up along with several combat protections like Protection from Magical Weapons, Stoneskin, etc. You only ever need the level 7 spell Ruby Ray of Reversal to get rid of the spell protection then hit them with Breach to get rid of the combat protections. It doesn't even have any advantage in casting time compared to Ruby Ray.

2. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hi,

My votes would be for

Meteor Swarm - not party friendly and Abi'sis better damage at lvl 8.
    Energy Drain - need several to have any effect and I don't want my squishy mage getting close to any nasty.

Cheers,

WittyNewt

3. Mirkwood Guest

Heh, how did I miss it. Yes, Energy Drain is one of the worst, you must touch the enemy and it only drains 2 levels. I don't think I'd pick that spell if it was level 4.

4. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yes these are very dumb spells. I also hate black blade of disaster and shapechange, which I tried out many times and found no use of it!

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I vote for the Freedom spell, you only need it once, in the underdark, if you want too. For the rest, the spell isn't very effective, for there very few creatures that cast Imprisionment and when you have to kill such creature, always have yourself protected against it.

6. Zarius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Can we chance the subject I get headache for this can we disgust something more important
    mater like OK I cant think anything

[Really outstanding first post Zarius! Not only completely off topic, but said absolutely nothing! Please go back and read the FAQ like you were asked to when you registered - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited November 12, 2001).]

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Headbanger, you don't have ToB yet right? Trust me, there are more enemies that will imprison you in it (mainly Beholders, Hive Mothers, Etc, even a new Demi-Lich) so Freedom does become a useful back-up spell.

I don't think any of them are useless. My least favorite though would be meteor swarm.

8. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Meteor swarm pales next to Abi-Dalzim's and Energy Drain is indeed a steaming load of tripe. I personally like Black Blade of Disaster as it ups Immie's otherwise less than impressive melee abilities considerably and she can backstab with it (I think). Shapechange is handy too (again, I usually give it to my backup mage who, in my current game of TOB, is Imoen) as it gives a magic user access to some of the best charm magic in the game and a nifty intelligence drain attack (Mind Flayer) and hefty magic resistance with decent melee clout (Iron Golem).

9. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hey, theres nothing wrong with black blade of Disaster, if you start hitting enemies with it they all start dying instantly, and it is powerful anyway. My worst 9th level spell would have to be Shapechange. My worst 7th level Priest spell is Confusion, as it is no different than the mages version which is easier to get.

10. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Who said shapechange was no good? Loonies I say! ;) A meek mage transforms into an iron golem of fury, reaking havoc on spellcasters (who can't target him cos he's immune to it), most types of weapon, fire, and cold can't hurt it! Then you have a troll for the regenerating....errr...okay, that ones crap...but the iron golem man! Hehe...put in my vote for meteor storm or Chain Contingency. Both a little pants.

11. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Chain Contingency? Top 5!

The worst L9 spells are "Absolute Immunity" (ever heard of Prot. of Magical Weapons?) and "Spell Trap" (but that's only because of "the staff").

12. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] for some extra gory fun, use shapechange as one of your begginer spells for SOA, iron golem change and watch those goblins explode!

13. Lord Sarevok Guest

Black Blade of Disaster could be very useful for a fighter/mage.

I personally haven't used many of the level 9 spells, but from my limited experience the only must have is the almighty Time Stop.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited December 14, 2001).]

14. NamelessOne Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Though I guess you could say that Timestop becomes the most useless lev. 9 spell when facing certain enemies who are immune to it. GASP as everyone freezes save your mage and the enemy, LAUGH as he/she rips your carefully placed fighters to shreds whilst they are frozen in the time continuam, CRY as you realise it's time to reload that quicksave for the fiftieth time. But yeah it's the best spell in the game for taking out almost any spell protections, especially when combined with improve altatricity and a second timespot spell...take that Draconis!!

[This message has been edited by NamelessOne (edited December 14, 2001).]

15. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Well, Wish is pretty useful, so's Time Stop. But the worse would have to be Energy Drain and Power Word, Kill. I rarely use these two.

16. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Meteor storm or energy drain.

17. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I would definitely have to agree with the majority here and say Energy Drain.

18. void Guest

As everyone has said, meteor and ed, I also never once cast imprisonment.

19. ywpark89 Guest

denfinitely energy drain

20. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Whoever said Chain Contingency is useless has a long road ahead of them.

Personally, that's what won the game for me :D. All I did was load 3 Abi Dalzim's into a Chain Contingency while in a Time Stop and repeat. Watch your enemies explode into chunky bits. Wish and repeat.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.