1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PC To Complement Evil Party

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by nataben1314, Feb 15, 2006.

1. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm just about finishing my solo fighter/cleric run, and am ready to play as a party again. Unmodded game except a couple ease-of-use components and dungeon-be-gone.

This time, however, I shall go the route of evil. I refuse to settle for neutral characters, so my party will consist of PC/Korgan/Viconia/Edwin/Sarevok(in ToB).

Importantly, I have found through my playing that I find locks/traps more tedious than fun, so the no traps/locks component of ease of use IS installed (so a thief isn't absolutely necessary as a PC).

So the question becomes, what are some ideas for a class for my PC? I don't desire a pure powergaming character, as the game will be easy enough to beat regardless of which class I choose. I just played as a cleric, and I have Viconia, so I would not want to be a cleric. I also do not want to be a pure mage (Edwin) or a pure fighter-type (Korgan/Sarevok).

More than anything else I'm looking for a PC that will add an interesting element to the mix. Any ideas on some dynamic characters that are fun to play as evil? (PS: I have a hard time envisioning an evil bard!)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

One word: Eldoth. You don't have to be happy-go-lucky to be a bard. You could instead be a manipulative ******* who uses his musical skill to seduce and use people. For RPing points, you could even build up Viccy's romance and then treat her like cr*p after sleeping with Phaere. :evil:

I would suggest a druid to round out the divine, but that's not what you're looking for so I won't bother. ;)

Personally I'd suggest undoing that component for the XP you get from traps and locks, but that's just me. But even without the need for a thief in that department, there's always pickpocketing, (setting) traps, scouting, and most importantly: backstabbing. An assassin PC seems the perfect fit for an uber-evil party.

3. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

I've never played an assassin, but I get the feeling that all my battles will take *forever* if the main tactic is just backstab, hide, repeat. Besides, I just don't see an assassin making an effective contribution to the party as a whole. By the time I've drank a potion of invisibility, maneuvered near an enemy, and backstab... korgan and sarevok will have probably finished the job.

I'm having a *really* hard time thinking of a suitable character:

fighter: seems a bit boring with sarevok and korgan already in the mix.

paladin: can't due to alignment

ranger: alignment

druid: not much different than a cleric in its party role

barbarian: no different than a fighter

monk: these guys are pretty much just fighters as well

cleric: just played a cleric, plus Viconia

Sorcerer/Mage: I already have Edwin, and besides I've never thought that one could properly RP a sorcerer/mage through soa/tob... Sorcerers/mages tend to be more contemplative/scheming with their actions, as opposed to running around killing everything that moves, which is what this game is about.

Wild Mage: This guy circumvents the "running around killing everything" problem because he is nuts, but I don't believe a nutcase can achieve that truly deep horrible evil that I want to play.

Thief: maybe. Although for the reasons above, I don't see a thief contributing much to the party in terms of effectiveness.

Bard: again, a maybe. I get the impression though through my readings that bards are basically just fighter/mages with a different name.

I'm very motivated to play my evil party but this character creation issue is driving me crazy!

4. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Who says you're only going to be using the one tactic? You've got four other guys, the idea is to use them all in tandem. It only takes about a round to get in place for a backstab, so unless Korgan and Sarevok are wielding KILLSW01s you'll have more than enough time to take one or two of your enemies out of commission with your assassin. Although I'd go with a half-orc fighter/thief instead, maybe.

Your posts suggest to me that you've not much experience with a lot of these classes... I'd suggest trying a few of them out before discounting them entirely. You can roleplay the protagonist however you please, if you limit yourself to fighter-types based on your perceived Bhaal-child archetype then that's no fun.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] Bards are NOT only boring fighter/mages, they are a little bit of everything, can use all weapons, cast mage spells, and pickpocket; though they have unique abilities as well.

What about downloading some kit mods?

Druidic Sorcerer is a very versatile caster, able to fill greap gap for spell-casting, and has new and unique HLA system which is interesting.

Arcane Fist Bard kit, fights as a monk, but casts mage spells also. Gets monk HLAs and special abilities. (ie:quivering palm!) Get Oversight monk HLAs (all new, cool) and he will rock!

Get the Song&Silence mod, it adds very interesitng thief and bard kits, like Chorister, Gypsy, Acrobat, Burglar, Soulknife etc. etc. take a look! :thumb:

What do you decide, tell us! ;)

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would think about a multiclass of either F/T or F/M. Thieves, as previously mentioned, can also be great scouts. F/M can use their spells in conjunction with Edwin. You'll want Edwin with major damage spells. Have the F/M learn Haste, True Sight and Identify. You can also stack protective spells on yourself (Blur, MI, SI, Stoneskin) and run in fighting with Korgan and Sarevok.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I'd try a F/M/T. You have many different options to play this char:

- You can use him as fighter who can do much damage while being nearly invulnerable due to mirror image and stoneskin

- You can use him for backstabbing and trapsetting

- You can use him as secondary mage who cast spells from the back of your party

8. Prine Gems: 11/31

...and you'll level up at snail's pace unless you're soloing.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with the idea of being a multi-classed thief. However, as Prine has pointed out, I would limit the multi-class to two classes as you will level extremely slowly in a party with a tri-class. To be honest, I'm not into soloing, and I find a tri-classed character very unappealing.

So that means you have the following options:

F/T - with either an elf, halfling or half-orc. I'd chose half-orc for the bonus to strength and constitution, although halflings and elves get 19 in dexterity (which enhances your thief skills) and have more bonuses to thief skills due to race bonuses. By the mid-point in the game, you'll have more than adequate points in everything anyway, so my choice would be go with the half-orc.

M/T - with an elf, or if you prefer, you can be an illusionist thief, ala Jan. With Edwin, you'll already have more than enough slots for the necromancy spells, so it may be worth picking an illusionist (and being a gnome instead of an elf) for the extra spell per level. In fact, the more I think about it, gnome also get 19 in intelligence which means memorizing spells would be a breeze, and there really is no downside to it. So, I'd say the gnome is the better option in this group.

C/T - and the only logical choice here would be a half-orc for the strength enhancement (the constitution is irrelevant beyond 16), although if for some RP reason you wanted to be gnome, you could.

In looking at the options, I would quickly eliminate the C/T, simply because Viconia should provide you with all the cleric you'll ever need. You might be a little low on cleric spells in the beginning of the game, but once she starts leveling up (to say around level 15 or so) having a second divine caster becomes redundant.

Which leves F/T or I/T, and I really don't think there's a wrong choice here. With a F/T, you can capitalize on Viconia's high dexterity and give her a sling, although since your PC is going to have a high strength, a Korgan and Sarevok have high strengths too, you won't have any shortage of strength girdles/gauntlets. A F/T will be an excellent back stabbing option.

With an I/T, you get more of a tactical thief. Not as good with damage when backstabbing (and you'll be squishy with limited armor options and lower hitpoints), but the ability to stealth into an area an open up combat with a spell is a huge advantage that more than makes up for it.

F/T is probably my favorite class, so I'm biased in that direction, but I can easily see how an I/T pick would work as well.

10. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Hmm, I like your ideas Aldeth. For RP reasons, however, I'd like to avoid the half-orc (I don't like that dumb, yaga shura style evil), and the gnome (the only rp of an evil gnome I can think of is like kalah or neb, both of which hardly seem like the type who would kill hundreds and hundreds in a reign of terror across the Sword Coast).

11. Prine Gems: 11/31

If you absolutely do not want to play a thief, then play a fighter/mage, it's probably the best class in the game.

(Half-orcs aren't all stupid, either. You can give your guy 16 INT if it makes you feel better.)

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

@Prine and Aldeth: The difference between a 2-class multi and a three-class multi is far smaller than between a pure class and a 2-class multi, the 3-class is not more than 1 level behind a 2-class for the longest time of the game.

750,000 XP: F/M/T 9/10/11, F/M 9/11, F/T 9/11, F 11, M 12, T 13
    2,250,000 XP: F/M/T 11/12/13, F/M 12/13, F/T 12/15, F 17, M 16, T 20

A level 7 fighter already gets 2 attacks/round without dualwielding.
    A level 13 thief already gets the maximal backstab multiplayer, even level9 provides *4.
    10 mage levels are enough to use stone skin and mirror image effectively.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @nat - well if it's just an RP decision, and you don't care much about powergaming your character, a F/T may be your best option, as with the exception of humans, ANY RACE can become a F/T multi-class. Is there a particular race you had in mind? With a M/T you are kind of limited. If you don't want to go the I/T route, you're pretty much stuck with an elf, which is just so cliche. However, regardless of what race you pick (again, except human) you can be a F/T.

EDIT: @ kmonster - yeah, but IMO, a tri-class absolutely KILLS the mage part if you're playing in a party. By the end of SoA, you're looking at a mage that is still limited to level 5 spells, maybe level 6 if you're lucky. Even with ToB, you're likely not ever going to be able to cast beyond level 7 spells. OTOH, from my experience two class mages get level 7 spells before they finish SoA, and get to level 8 spells early in ToB. You even get a couple of level 9 spells by the end of the game. (Again, I'm assuming a party here - if you solo it almost can't be argued that a F/M/T is THE CLASS to play.) You're fine with the thief and fighter parts - I agree with that completely - but to me, adding mage to the mix is a needless handicap to your character. You're limiting the abilities of your fighter and your thief by having them level up at a slower rate in exchange for getting access to lower level mage spells for the majority of the game.

14. Prine Gems: 11/31

I don't mind fighter/thief progression with a triple class, it's just mage levels that grind to a halt when they lurch forward to 375k. Sucks because you don't even get a level six spell slot until two and a half million or so, and you don't ever get a single level nine slot. I'm a trigger/sequencer/contingency junkie, I need that stuff. :p

Not arguing that stoneskin and mirror image aren't good defense, but I still don't like missing out on the goodies, especially at level six.

15. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you are installing Tactics, you could always install the two extra kits, Fighter Archer and Anti-paladin. I have played an AP and they are cut throat. You must pick evil alignment, so no problem there for you. I usually choose Human, then at level 9, I can make the decision whether or not to dual to Thief or Mage.

The kit is basically an Inquisitor with the Holy Avenger. He is immune to Hold and Charm and dispels magic with each hit (very nice). I do not recall if he gets the +2 to all saves, but if you are using Ease of Use, simply wear several protection items and this is not a problem.

One you get your AP abilities back, this guy should start to take over. With the strength belt, this guy will either backstab most to death, or if a mage and the right spells, just mow down an army.

I usually put five points into Long Swords and one point on Single Weapon (for the critical hit). After that, it is your preference, but I just like the beavy of long swords that are available.

Well enough ranting, hope this helps a little.

16. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Neb wouldn't kill? :hahaerr: Have you even played BG1? Not to mention that TIAX RULES ALL! :roll:

Personally, my evil party had a half-elven F/T named Scarab (after the soundset I found for him) who romanced Viconia. An F/T makes the perfect addition, and if you're worried about wasting time with repeated backstabs, then just don't do that. There are enough good thief-usable armors (like the studded leather you get in the Umar Hills and any Elven Chain you find) that you can stealth, backstab, and then just keep whacking. If your tanks already have the enemies' attention, you shouldn't have more attacks thrown your way than you can handle.

Specific weapons can decrease the danger even more. Celestial Fury's stunning gives you plenty of time to finish off a helpless enemy, and the Dagger of the Star in ToB can instantly re-invis you without having to run away.

17. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

I just mean that a character like Neb doesn't seem like the type of "power-killer" that I'm looking for... he seems to be more of a "pleasure-killer".

Plus, gnomes are clearly made for comic relief in the game. The most common voiced gnome sentance is a silly "you wouldn't hurt a gnome would you?"

On consideration, I think I am more interested in a single class than another multiclass like last time.

Does anybody know where I can find full, up to date, and accurate information on all the classes?

18. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Anything in this game can well be suited to tha side of evil! But from your requests, it seems you'd like a bit of muscle. Go with a Fighter/Theif: Nice looking THAC0, strong, powerful, BACKSTAB :D and some nice thief skills to boot. Quite lovely with that 'evil' attitude!

Or you could as Fel mentioned go as an Assassin, cause there's not much evil you can get beyond that! Poison damage and a +7 backstab modifier is just deleciously powerful!

But, if you have ALOT of patience in the early stages go for a Blade. Once one of these guys gets into the higher levels they can become quite devastating: magic, muscle and speed ... all ya need!

19. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31

Don't be afraid to come up with your own mix of 'classes' using Shadowkeeper. You can therefore customize your character as you see fit -- with Bhaal's touch.

Want a madman who dabbles in the arts of raising and manipulating the dead as mere pawns? Then a Necromancer/Cleric mix is for you. Combine the powers of Death and Magic -- raise the dead, inflict wounds upon the living and murder indiscriminatingly using various powers attained from the mastery of the Dark Arts. After all, death may be impartial, but you're not :evil: .

Another option that I find equally fun and deliciously malicious is to use SK (if you're not that much afraid to mess around a bit) and make an *evil* variant of a specific alignment-restricted class.

Want to play as a Blackguard? Use Shadowkeeper to make yourself a Lawful Evil Paladin. Use your charismatic body language and 'knight-in-shining-armor' look to tempt others and have them stray from their path. A smooth talker with a twisted tongue -- corruptive, manipulative, and perhaps with the power to contract (summon) Baatezu Outsiders (devils, to be precise) past a certain level?

The only problem as I see it is when you become Fallen -- but is it not that the strongest, twisted and most sinister vilains were once pious and valorous defenders of good causes?

[ February 19, 2006, 02:29: Message edited by: Ziggyveld ]

20. Luiz Gems: 5/31

Veteran

1 Lawful Evil Monk (with Monk HLAs installed from G3's Oversight Mod)
    2 Korgan
    3 Viconia (or Chaotic Anomen)
    4 Edwin
    5 Jan or [Yoshimo->Imoen] (but only if you want any thieving)
    6 rotating NPCs for their quests (SoA), then Sarevok (ToB)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.