1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What kind of mods you like (or don't like)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sendel'ar, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Sendel'ar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What kind of mods you like

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What kind of mods you like (or don't like) (42 votes.)

What kind of mods you like (or don't like) (Choose 1)
    * Quest Mods - 31% (13)
    * Feature Mods - 19% (8)
    * NPC mods (Romance mods) - 38% (16)
    * Item packs - 7% (3)
    * Who told you I like mods? I hate mods! - 5% (2)

2. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'd like a mod that has quests for NPCs who didn't have any quests. Minsc accompanied me throughout BG1, TOTSC, BG2 and TOB and didn't have a single quest relating to him at all. Likewise Imoen. Okay, you could argue that Imoen is tied to the main story of BG2 what with being a Bhaalspawn and all, but even so she doesn't have any proper quests relating to her.

Maybe a few extra quests for the others NPCs. I always thought that when Anomen got made into a card-carrying member of the Order he'd have a few Order quests to carry out. But nope. No quests.

The sort of mods I *wouldn't* want to see? Anything that overpowers the game. TDD and SOS both throw hordes of +5 weapons at the party to the extent that the game becomes a doddle because there's no challenge left.

And a definite no-no for mods: overpowered NPCs. If they're so much more powerful than the other NPCs who can join your party then they take all the fun out of playing. cough*Valen*cough

But what I'd *really* like to see in a mod: changed quests from the original game. I've played through so many times now that I've seen 99% of what it has to offer and quite often it seems that I could play with my eyes closed. No matter how big a game is and how much randomness thrown into it, eventually you'll have exhausted every possible route and everything you're trying with be something you've already tried in a previous game.

So a great idea for a mod would be to change some of the existing quests so they play out differently.

Bring in the big boss Torgal refers to but who never shows up...

Maybe Merella wasn't the only Shade Lord. There could be a dozen of them...

A way to completely resurrect Yoshimo...

Strike a deal with Domogorgon. His freedom for a portion of his powers...

Side with the shadow druids against Trademeet or with Ilfatheer (sp?) against the Dao...

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I didn't vote - the poll only allows one answer, whereas I like any mod that increases the "fun factor". (Note: I'm by no means an expert on mods - I've only just started using them.)

4. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Minsc had a quest in BG1: rescuing Dynaheir. His quest for BG2 was cut, but it's being restored in the Unfinished Business mod. I actually got a chance to beta test it and it's nice to see the big guy get a bit more attention.

I like mods since they give you something new in your next run through BG2. I prefer the NPC mods simply because I like character development and interaction in my games.

5. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] I'd like a mod that enables you to Multi-Class or Dual Class to ANY class. Say you play a Human Fighter, and you Dual Class to a Bard. I realise it's quite impossible to bring all the 3rd Edition Multiclassing rules in, but just enabling you to mix and match any class like that would be cool. Hard I know :p

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What is this Mod? What other features does it have?

Im intruiged ^^

7. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Gopher, I totally agree. My Ultimatum prayers would be answered if some group was skilled enough to re-code etc. BG2 to 3rd ed rules! :D I'd definetly pay a full bill on that one! :)

I played that certain 3rd ed. D&D game which was made with Infinity (not saying the name since this ins't the right forum :D ), got disappointed by the story, but got disappointed even more when started to play bg2 and forgot all these rules there were combined to 3rd ed rules.. :(

somebody, anybody please heed my prayers :D

8. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What you want is Icewind Gate II (here). You'll need Icewind Dale II. Of course, you've got that already, right?

In answer to the original question:
    • I deplore: mods which spoil game balance (Weimar Item mod, Valen, etc.) by filling the game with +5 weapons or giving you one or more ridiculously overpowered NPCs. You might as well use Shadowkeeper and cheat directly.
    • I despise: mods which shatter the illusion of believability through poor programming, clumsy English and lousy spelling.
    • I admire: mods which add gaming hours and display the same loving attention to detail characteristic of the original game. Alas, many attempt this but fail.
    If the authors manage to pull it off, Unfinished Business may be the best mod ever. Some of the more interesting mods don't modify the game's content, but instead give you a new way to play it, e.g. BG1Tutu, Icewind Gate II (play Baldur's Gate using the BG2 engine and BG2 using the IWD2 engine respectively).

9. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Unfinished Business is a mod that will restore quests that were cut by Bioware due to time constraints. They've tracked down old posts and other information from Bioware and their developers, and are trying to be strictly faithful to what was originally planned.

A lot of NPCs lost quests--Minsc, Yoshimo, Valygar, Aerie, Mazzy, Keldorn, Viconia, Cernd, and Haer'Dalis (lost two plus a romance). They're also restoring some lost encounters, adding some lost items and spells, and expanding on some existing quests.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Most of all roleplaying, but just a nice battle isn't bad either. I like BG2 romances and I wouldn't complain if there were more. I still haven't installed Tashia, but that's a coincidence. I always had something important about Jaheira to check or Aerie romance to try. From what I know, several such mods are in the making, so one day I may find myself playing BG2 again with a new zeal ;) For sure, I'm going to grab the new Nalia romance so soon as it's ready. I even wanted to create one or two romance NPCs myself (one was Iltha Windspear, the other was a completely new human bard girl in Trademeet or Athkatla), but I always lack the time to sit down and learn how to use the tools, how to do the scripting etc. Such is the nature of my studies and other occupations that I never know much about tomorrow and I either have too much time on my hands or far less than I need. Even the small tweak I intended for Jaheira romance has died a natural death. In the same time, BG2 is dying slowly and I don't want to put lots of my work into something that's not going to last. Maybe I should wait for a different game. IE engine is dead and buried, NWN doesn't suit my needs, nor does Lionheart, Greyhawk I haven't got yet. Heh, then maybe BG2 actually is NOT so bad an idea... :rolleyes:

A mod should be in-line with the original game or only loosely tied (like HoW expansion to IWD) or be a total conversion. Everything else hurts.

A mod should not be buggy. I'm pretty tolerant as I've had my time programming and I know my bit about bugs. However, it would piss me off supremely if a mod bugged the original game, not only were itself bugged.

A mod should be written well. I'm not going to cry over each difference from SRE, but archaic forms or high-flown showy grammar and syntax should be used properly. I can live with Past Simple used instead of Past Perfect, but I can't live with Past Perfect used instead of Past Simple. I can live with 'I just went', but I can't live with 'I've just went'. Also, wrong use of archaic forms such as thou, thee, thy, thine, mine (before vowel, like thine), and 'st' or 'th' endings is a major turn-off. Even official games aren't free from this - for example IWD2 contains a phrase 'I hath', which pisses me off supremely. I'm not a nitpicker so far as typos are concerned, but habitual disregard for rules is distasteful for me.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The only mods I play with are Tazas' Item Mod and my own. I played through Tashia, Nalia and Sulafein but found that Tashia and and Nalia weren't compatible and overwrote my own mods and Sulafein just didn't shine for me.

The only other mods I play with are the ones I am making and have been working on and have completed. Most are still in DISTF (Dragoneye Studios Template Form :p ) while a couple are actually getting somewhere...

I like new NPCs and romances, they usually ar equite entertaining.

12. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

i like the ascension and tactics mods.....makes the game much more challenging.

im currently testing easy-of-use, itemupgrade, shadows over soubar and a few others....

i like itemupgrade so far, easy of use is ok, the cut scene feature is welcome......but thats about it.

The two kit mods i've tested:
    "acid elementalist" is good.
    "druidic sorceror" get too much of the good, with other words, its bad.

13. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Death whisper, what mod are those 2 classes available from. I've never heard of those.

14. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

they are added from a mod with the same name.

just go to the download section of this site and look for "acid elementalist" and "druidic sorceror".........the kits is about all they add though (with new spells, and inniate abilities specially designed for those kits).

15. Bang Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi,

I like mods that have a more roleplaying character or such, that make the game more challenging.

I really dislike mods that are going to distroy the game balance by overwhelming you with totally overpowered items...bäh... :nolike:

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I wish we could choose more than one choice.

8people,
    Nalia and Tashia sure are compatible. You just have to install Nalia first. If your own are WeiDU and installed after Nalia, there shouldn't be a problem.

Currently, the only thing I've got installed are the ones from RPG Dungeon and FWP. Most of Weimer's stuff throws game balance out the window, which is a shame because he has some very good ideas.

As far as style, *fair* improved fights are always nice, as are new NPCs and new quests.

17. Trydan Gems: 5/31

My personal favourite is the Xan mod, but in general mods that add new areas in which to adventure are best.

18. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Too hard for me to pick, I like pretty much all the mods I've tried, including Cal-Culator, but I got the most fun out of the flirtpacks so far so I had to vote that way...

19. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

"* I deplore: mods which spoil game balance (Weimar Item mod, Valen, etc.) by filling the game with +5 weapons or giving you one or more ridiculously overpowered NPCs. You might as well use Shadowkeeper and cheat directly.
    * I despise: mods which shatter the illusion of believability through poor programming, clumsy English and lousy spelling.
    * I admire: mods which add gaming hours and display the same loving attention to detail characteristic of the original game. Alas, many attempt this but fail."

I AGREE! :D

Any idiot can add some over-powered items, kits, etc. The game isn't more fun if it's made easier by pumping up the PC (and the player's ego) -- it's more fun when you leave well enough alone with the rules themselves, and instead add to the breadth, depth, and variety of the story and encounters. In other words, C-R-E-A-T-I-V-I-T-Y in writing and plotting, not just "turning up the volume." :p

20. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31

A mod I would like would add new dialog options, like an aloof answer to dialogs for, say, an elf, or a rather malicious way of retorting. Something a long those lines. I also like to see new spells that are sort of hybridical of others, like balls of cold instead of lightning.

The mods I don't like all the really over-powered mods, like Valen, or the tremendous mods like The Darkest Day, that have way too much stuff than what you know what to do with, especially when it takes a long time to download it and it doesn't work properly...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.