1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I am confused...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Acemandoo, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Dont quite know what forum to put this in, but here goes...
    If sarevok in BG1 intends to take on amn, how does he intend to take on the amnish soldiers, who, fat as they are, are also a lot harder than the flaming fist?
    Why are there no gibberlings in amn or that other place, do they all live in Baldurs Gate?
    If nashkel is part of amn, why cant you reach it in SOA?
    In BG2, you can be a half orc, but how would you survive in BG1, and why would gorion save you?
    Aint that chicken bhaalspawn funny?

2. shadow_thief Guest

Acemandoo, some answers to your questions:
    A) I think this should be in the SoA forum.
    B)Sarevok had allies that would destroy everyone, even the flaming fist.
    C)Gibberlings are too easy to kill for 8th level characters.
    D)Half orc is just an option you can pick for a race...it wouldn't matter is you were stupid squirrel...the story still goes on...
    E) I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

3. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The difference of Flaming Fists and Amnish guardsmen is for game balance reasons. Even if BG2 would have happened in Baldur's Gate, they'd probably have boosted the Flaming Fists so they wouldn't be just a minor inconvenience for those ultra high powered characters. And remember the Amnish soldiers in Nashkel, in BG? They actually weren't tougher than the Flaming Fists :p

4. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31

Sigh, im talking realism, if there was a war between baldurs gate and amn, as sarevok tried to do, amn would easily win, as they have the cowled wizards, the amnish soldiers and a hell of a lot higher levels. Also, the half orc theory, half orcs arent put up with in Baldurs Gate, so how would you survive the story as one, gorion would kill you.
    The chicken bhaalspawn is the one you meet in TOB, i forget where, but it was hell of a funny.

5. shadow_thief Guest

Acemandoo, first of all, the anmish soldiers have to be harder than the flaming fist because killing them would be easier as a 9th lvl instead of a 1st lvl. HALF-ORC IS JUST AN OPTION, OK?!?!?!

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You people are missing his point. Let's say the places depicted in the BG series reflected reality. What Acemandoo is saying is that the Flaming Fist would be overrun by Amnish soldiers due to their extreme inferiority, so Baldur's Gate would have been conquered by Amn rather than the other way around.

I would disagree with you about Gorion though since he saved the protagonist in order to keep Bhaal from being resurrected as the prophecy predicted.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited August 16, 2001).]

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I get his point. I just don't see why you would try to overlay reality on a fantasy game (or games in this case).

It is obvious why everything in the second game is more powerful than in the first. Would BG2 be fun if you did fight Kobolds and Xvarts with a level 20 character? No.

Would BG1 be fun if you had to face dragons and beholders with a level 5 character? No.

So what was your point again?

8. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31

finally someone sees my point, and ok, gorion may not have killed you, but everyone else would have, the sheer thought of getting into the city of baldurs gate is unbelievable.
    Scenario one)
    Half Orc: Why hello my flaming fist friend
    Flaming Fist: Aaaagh, half orc, kill him, kill him. He's a spy.
    Result: repeated arrows to the head and a few magic missiles to top it off.

Scenario 2)
    Half orc with fake moustache: Why hello, i am a human male from candlekeep...honest.
    Flaming fist: aaaaagh, dodgy half orc with moustache, die die dieeeee.
    Result: a nice half orc kebab.

My reason for adding gibberlings etc into BG2 is for added realism, as it is highly unlikely that all gibberlings would have lived in baldurs gate, and all the hard creatures in the world would have lived in amn.

[This message has been edited by Acemandoo (edited August 16, 2001).]

9. The Shadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

it is all a matter of timing, I ask you how difficult for you was a flaming fist when you first fought one? the I ask you how hard is an amnish soldier when you first fight one, in theory they will balance out.

So in BG you may of found them hard but in BG2 you will find amnish soldiers hard? It's all a matter of aquivilance.

10. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31

uuuugh, firstly its equivilence, and secondly, i am not talking about their difficulty in the game, i am talking about the fact that had sarevok succeeded in starting a war with amn he would have been hammered, as, realistically, the amnish soldiers, and everyone else in amn are a lot harder than anyone in BG1.

11. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Theres gibberlings in SOA. I doubt the beastmaster in the Copper Coronet would have bothered importing them...

12. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

For that matter Gorion's ward would have never gotten as powerful as the game allows. Face it. We have all experienced the "reloading" due to death syndrome. Had this been reality Sarevok might have been the Lord of Murder he always dreamed of being and we would probably not have made it through the Nashkel Mines let alone making it all the way to the Throne of Bhaal.

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited August 18, 2001).]

13. The Word Gems: 3/31

I think you guys are missing something important: Sarevok didn't even need to win. He was merely creating a war to cause bloodshed enough to fuel his own ascendence to Godhood. It would have worked just as well with the Flaming Fist dying as the Amnish soldiers, not to mention the peasentry.

14. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Now this brings me to one of the biggest problems I found in the BG series. The levels. Take the mercenary army in Amkethran for example. That number of high level fighers (they were about 17-20) could conquer half of faerun easily. The guard in the Adventure Mart was about 15th level. How many cowled wizards did you kill? About 20? Well they were all about 16-19th level wizards too. There is probably not that many high level wizards to come out of amn and tethyr in the last century yet the cowled wizards seem to have them in abundance. Now you're probably saying, well yes they must do that for balance. No, they should not. In real dnd a party like you start with could and should be able to kick the shit out of any local gaurds/wizards you come across. I guess perhaps it was to keep the players from just killing of everyone in athkatla and ruining the plot, but well, they should be able to. Thats probably what would happen if a bunch of moderate level characters ran loose in the city on a murdering rampage. That is until the local champions and arch-mages get ahold of you...

15. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31

in order to try that out im gonna import a TOB party into soa and see how long i can last killing everyone i meet, well, except aran linvail, coz that gimpy assasin would have my head.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.