1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Inquisitor or Cavalier

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by casey, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I prefer the cavalier, although I don't have any powergaming reason for this. :rolleyes:

2. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Being held sucks, so I give the nod to the Inquisitor. The True Sight ability is quite nice since the spell is like Level 5 and normal paladins will never get to learn it (I think they cap at Level 3 spells). The beefy Dispel Magic is just too cool.

The Cavalier is also nice in its own right, but the only real advantage is the immunity to Fear. Fear does suck, but not as bad as being held. Immunity to poison is not bad, but there are enough Antidote potions out there that I don't see this as a big advantage.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Most of it has already been said by now, but there's one more thing:

physical potential

Cavaliers can cast draw upon holy might and also some other buffs. Also, he will never find himself without a magical weapon if he can cast. Plus, he gets some protections to cast and even some party buffs. Some of that stuff is of fixed power and duration, irrespectively of caster level (well, caster level is still important when it comes to enemy casting dispel or remove magic).

Of course, inquisitor can wear a girdle of strength. But you have other characters who could. And what about dexterity or constitution? Sure, the Uber Gloves of 18 DEX bonus is fine, but what about adding a few points on top of it? You can have a great AC with Carsomyr or even greater with Purifier and some shield +MAX. Or you can dual-wield. Tadaaaam. Purifier and Runehammer. Just thinking ;)

Another one that can be "worn" for all battles is armour of faith. On higher levels, this one absorbs damage better than barbarian's bonuses and it stacks with endurance for like 60% together. Just how much is 40% damage from the 60 you collect from Abazigal? ;)

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with everyone that is saying the Inquisitor is better, but my only question is why would you make your PC an inquisitor, when there is one ready to go that you can acquire early in the game? Would you make a lawful evil conjuror? I wouldn't, because I'd pick up Edwin. Would you make a vanilla ranger? I wouldn't, because I'd pick up Minsc. So I cannot see the point of making a PC Inquisitor when I can pick up Keldorn.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorry to resurrect this aging thread but it already covers most of what I wanted to cover. My additional query is this:

What role-playing reason / story can I use for my Inquisitor having spellcasters in her party (given that Inquisitors are supposed to be anti-magic)?

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Inquisitors are devoted to the removal of EVIL practicioners of magic. A rogue mage can create far more destruction than a common murderer and so inquisitors are trained to deal with these mages. An inquisitor would be glad to have mages in his/her party because of their value and because the best way to combat evil is to stop it from even gaining a foothold. He/she would try to keep the mages on the path of right.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.