1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trolls and +2 short sword

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tony Tulipstomp, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Is there a bug in the game that makes really hard mobs worth like 0 xp almost? giant trolls are only 1400 xp and are ungodly tough. sometimes ruffians in town jump me and they're 10 xp but are considerably tougher than those silly goblins in the first dungeon. Oh, and that +2 sword you get from one of the random encounters - it gives free movement, and can give haste once/day . . it's only worth 1 gp if you try to sell it even identified. That stupid nymph or whatever by the tent for aerie is 1 xp or so too, I have to sneak up on her and backstab her 2x just to whack her.

2. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

well, trolls aint that tough, and aerie is an controllable NPC, and i don't think she's meant to be killed, about the sword, if it aint supposed to be like that, sure youre patched n stuff?

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

About the short sword - you have to rest first to recharge its once per day haste spell. Then it will sell for 3000 gold. I usually keep it for its free action though.

I hate fighting trolls. They aren't too hard to hit, but they can deal lots of damage before they die. I thought regular trolls are worth 1400 XP. Not sure about giant trolls...

Don't remember that last bit about the creature near Aerie.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Non-hostile creatures give very few xp (after all, you shouldn't get any xp for killing something that is not fighting back). Some creatures are not meant to be killed and the designers assign very few xp to them (such as the npc's).

I'm not sure about the sword. I typically have too much money and keep the unique magic items in a safe spot for use later (if I'm not using them with a current character). Items with charges only sell for 1 gp if all the charges have been expended (this include weapons).

5. Koki Gems: 5/31

Some Trolls are total XP hogs though, mainly Ghost types. 3k XP IIRC.
    I don't like Trolls because they need to be killed twice, this is troublesome and sometimes causes bugs...

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Arbane's sword is worth 3,000 gold after resting. I tried to sell it right off (had better weapons) and I could only get 1 gold for it. Waited a day later, after resting, and sold it for the 3,000.

7. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Any item without charges = 1g to merchants. Make sure if it's a use/day item it hasn't been used or that you've rested after ID, or it'll only be worth 1g.

None of the enemies you've lsited are actually tough to beat. But they have a set amount of XP they give you no matter what level you take them out at. (I think this is true, I never noticed trolls giving me less xp when I was 7 or 20).

8. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31

hehe, I didn't try killing aerie :p just that annoying thing north of her that wastes your time. Will have to rest first on that sword. That's a good idea! On the trolls, tho, I don't understand sometimes I have to ungodly overkill them. I know I've done like 65+ hps beyond 'near death' and they still don't drop. I don't know why. Other (very rarely) times they drop right away. I'm talking where they drop to where you burn them to finish em off

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

There's a death check at the end of the troll's combat round, and that's the only time they'll fall for you to finally kill them. A little weird, but you can work around it.

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Trolls usually fall down when they are near dead, but if you hit them you interrupt the routine (it's an annoying bug) and they keep standing. Just stop bashing them so they can fall down.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

He's talking about the sultry Kalah servant girl who looks like a nymph.

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Trolls also need fire or acid to die, so pulping them does nothing unless it is with fire... just send a fire arrow in during the near death state.

13. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

XP rewards for different enemies is messed up. 18000 for a bone golem is stupid you can kill them in seconds!!
    Spirit Trolls give loads too, 12000. They also suffer the bug so I often get 24000 XP when I kill them. They are really easy too but not as easy as Bone Golems... Mind Flayers are about right as are G. Wolfweres and Beholders would be worthy f there was no Shield of Balduran but with it there is no challenge.

14. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

That's all based on your style. See for me the Spirit Trolls and Bone Golems are a bit more worth it. But then I use my own mix of spells and strength and Bone Golems are immune to a fair different kinds of magic.

Most of the beholders are what I kill in seconds and without the shield of Balduran. The only times I usually have trouble is when you get a few Elder Orbs in a group which only happens in like one part of the game.

Greater Werewolves and even Wolfwere's tend to scare me about as much as mice running through the field most of the time as well. Specially compared to Cernd in Greater Werewolf form.

Heck I even had a Ranger once that his racial enemy was Mind Flayer. Gave him a couple items to protect from them and then Mind Flayer killing was almost like a walk in a Slaughter House.

As for the nymph thing in the circus tent in the room with Aerie as an Ogre. Your not supposed to kill that. go up and talk to it and it gets out of your way.

15. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I base my judgement on G.wolfweres on soloing. They regenerate very fast (r maybe one of my mods changed it). As for flayers, like you said, you needed items to protect from them. Without items(and there is only the item upgrade mod which creates a weapon that fully protects) they can be difficult because of their intel draining. I would never use the brine potions because they are far too convieniantly placeed for my liking.

16. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Conserning Trolls:

As Felinoid say, they are scripted to make a check at the end of each round to see if they should fall. If anything (probably you whacking on them) interrupts this, it can sometimes get kinda stuck in the script, and you will have to back off, stop hitting the troll, and give it some time to drop (note that you sometimes will have to hit once or twice more before they really fall).

I've experienced trolls giving 0 experience before too. Though this happens only when ending up in a situation much likewise to the one I mentioned above. When fighting them gets screwed cus they can't execute script commands propper (in this case dropping at a certain HP level).

17. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

According to the guide:

Most Trolls give 1400 XP
    except wimp ice and snow trolls: 174/650 each.

Spectral Trolls = 3000 XP

And Spirit Trolls = 12,000 XP

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.