1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dedicated Summoner (solo)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Deathmaster, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I thought to myself instead of forming a party, I'll conjure up my own parties, as i solo a pure summoner. I'm not going to limit myself to just summoning spells, but they will be the main focus.

So I am just wondering which class would make for a better experience in this respect. Not too concerned with powergaming, just what would be more fun.

Any particular thoughts on characters?
    Sorcerer
    Regular Mage
    Wild Mage
    Conjurer
    Druid
    Cleric
    Cleric/Ranger

Thanks in advance

2. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I'd say a conjurer or sorc. But be warned, you can only have a max of 5 summons out at once. Yep, that means that as battles start getting tough and you really need your minions, they might not be enough all at once.

That said, with the right summons any battle can go as easy as with a regular party :) . That's actually a very interesting and awesome idea. Good luck with it!

EDIT: Oh yea, conjurer or sorc because they give you the maximum number of spells per-day between the other classes in order to have enough summons/spells for your battles.

3. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

That was the only thing really worrying me to be honest. Is there anyway to raise the max summoning cap past 5? Or is that hardcoded?

4. saros Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There is such a way yet it is considered cheese(and even cheating). You may use Projected Images and Simulacrums(for a Ranger/Druid - a Vhailor's helmet). Summoning via PI and Simmys allows you to summon as many as you want monsters. Combined with a long-lasting type of summon, like a Skeleton Warrior, you can actually swarm the place with summons.

A bit of advice - learn the stats/immunities of your different type of summons. For instance, Fire Elementals are immune vs Fire and weapons +1 and lower, and deal Crushing+Fire damage, and have amazingly low strength, and are quite vulnerable to Enchantment spells. So, you may consider casting Strength+Chaotic Commands on them, and send them vs enemies which use fire attacks/spells, like Firkraag for instance, or vs enemies who use +1 and lower weapons, such as Shadow Fiends.

Replace the regular mage in your team either with Conjurer or Invoker, or with a second Sorcerer.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You must avoid useless summoning spells altogether though, lowly monster summons really don't help much, you better prepare other spells instead of them (if you are a wizard) If you are a sorc, good summons start with Spider Spawn at lvl 4, great combo with Web spell so you better have it too! Stay away from monster summonings I, II, III. Animate Dead is a must to have, though it is really not a 'summoning' spell in pure terms.

Elemental summonings are tricky and painful for a mage. Mordenkainen Swords are very useful though. Efreets and Genies are rather a pain than help, IMHO.

Death spell is the bane of all your summons. One mage or lich can cast it and destroy ALL of your summons instantly, leaving you alone and defenseless...beware, keep a wand of summoning ready and use the weaker summons of the wand as cannon fodders for incoming death spells first.

You can go frenzy with Demon summonings as well, just be sure to cast PfE on yourself.
    Demons, being gated, do not suffer from Death spell.

Once you get HLAs, Planetars are extremely useful and tough allies, with their great melee capabilities and a wide variety of spells. (which include clerical spells you can not cast!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.