1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deathbringer Assault

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Chickavalier, May 10, 2005.

1. Myth Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I actually meant the HLA. Dunno why but in all of my games Sarevok seems to throw critical hits very often. Maybe the Ravager halberd improves it. Gotta check. Anyway - even if he happens to have no luck with the criticals in a fight, the halberd's special thingie does the trick.

Too bad he never took his AWESOME armour from BG1 with him

P.S. Forgot to mention above that unlike Korgan, Sarevok is a human so you can actually dual-class him into a mage or thief and have him cast stoneskin upon himself before battle or wield the CF or the holy avenger with a nice fat backstab multiplier.

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Holy Avenger is Paladin only...which means you can't backstab with it. Then again, what's the point of dualclassing when you can get Greater Whirlwind and Critical Strike for Sarevok? He isn't half as cool unless he's walking around with a big-ass sword and cool armor.

3. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[qoute]
    He gets Berserker Rage, which has some nice immunities. He also gets 19 Con which is HEAPS useful when in big brawls.

Also, grandmastery in axes is nothing to sneeze at.

Axe of the Unyielding +5 with Crom Faeyr...

A fighter with 25 STR, 19 Con, 18 Dex, grandmastery AND Berserker Immunities...I find that better than just a 5% chance for 200 damage, and admittedly the COOLEST personality.

Another MAJOR advantage is that you get him right out of Chateau Irenicus, rather than 3/4th of the way through the game.[/quote]

The berserker fact is the only advantage that Korgan has over Sarevok really. Sarevok has a constitution of 17 or 18 as well as a dexterity of 18, and grandmastery in 2 handed swords.

Also you can change Sarevoks alignment to chaotic good which makes it alot easier to deal with him. Unlike Korgan who is just and evil bastard the whole way through, unless you want him and Mazzy in your party, but you still have to be careful with your reputation.

4. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Actually, reputation is irrelevent in TOB. no good character, not even Keldorn, will leave you if you have 1 reputation... and no evil char will leave if you have 20 rep...

[ June 06, 2005, 11:19: Message edited by: Elwyn De'Liam ]

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Deathbringer assault only works on a critical hit. It is also blocked by stoneskin, iron skin, and even helmets! Cool ability, but being immune to hold, stun, maze, charm, imprisonment, etc whenever needed seems a much better ability imho.

6. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31

That's just not true.

7. Deuce Gems: 5/31

The comment above about a Deathbringer doing less then 200 damage might be the result of the target having some resistance to physical damage (like and Adamantitium Golem or a Demi-Lich). Something with 75% resistance to physical damage (esp. the weapon type he has, say slashing for instance) would take 50 points of damage I think.

8. Drew

Media:
    Put Sarevok in your party have him attack attack a character without a helmet using the critical strike feat. It'll critical and kill the target every time. Then have him attack someone with a helmet on with critical strike. You'll get no critical damage, also no deathbringer assault. Have him then use critical strike against a wizard protected by stoneskin but not wearing a helmet. He'll inflict no damage. :p

9. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

but all the bosses don't wear helms, do they?(except for Gromnir/Sendai, who does wear helms)

10. Drew

Media:
    Most bosses are immune to critical hits, though, so it's essentialy the same effect.

11. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

and also they're Immune to vorpal hits

12. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

@ Drew: I will have to disagree with you...

Deathbringer assault is not related with critical hits.Every succesful hit made by Sarevok, either it's a critical hit or not, has a 5% possibility of an additional damage which is the deathbringer assault(as already mentioned above by Gothmog).So it's not blocked by helmets and i believe that it happens even if Sarevok fights bare fisted!

And this is an example of what i am saying:

I have just started ToB and although i am soloing for the fun i took Sarevok in my party and summoned the best fighters in my pocket plane for some fighter 1 on 1 duels , like the tavern duels in the Underdark :D

First duel was Sarevok vs. Korgan (they fought with the equipment they had when i summoned them,and all were at the same level, 16 if i remember right.I only made Korgan fight enraged.).
    And the duel begins:

Sarevok - Attacks Korgan
    Korgan - Attacks Sarevok
    Korgan did 21 damage to Sarevok
    Sarevok did 17 damage to Korgan
    Sarevok did 200 damage to Korgan
    Korgan - Death
    Korgan - Deathbringer assault :D

Of course Sarevok won over Minsc and Keldorn (died by d.assault too).And all of them weared helmets.I don't want to say that Sarevok is a better fighter than Korgan.When both are eqquiped with the best stuff it's difficult to say who is better (although i prefer Sarevok for many reasons).
    And also bosses aren't immune to c. hits but only to vorpal hits.They just won't die from a c.hit either they wear helmets or not.

13. Drew

Media:
    (Checks weidu log to figure out why deathbringer assault works differently on his install.........) Heh. :confused: No Idea why it works differently for you than me. Sarevok still aint as good as Korgan, though. One word.........imprisonment. There are only so many pro-magic scrolls out there. Korgan can just rage. Try letting Sarevok take on a demi-lich and you'll see what I mean.

14. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I'm using Sarevok for the first time, and I just need to say: WOW!

I knew about the Sarevok spoiler (scroll down)before I used him, which is why I chose to wait for him over using Korgan. Just going by stats alone, Korgan is better. I agree with Drew, that Beserker Rage tilts the power in Korgan's favor.

Spoiler below:

Alignment

15. blacklion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

May I ask, how do you change his alignment? Which NPC's/what replies can contribute to this? That's new for me obviously...

[ June 16, 2005, 14:33: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

16. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Blacklion, it's a big spoiler.

You need to make sure you do NOT make Sarevok swear an oath to you when you first pick him up. Then, there are a bunch of dialogues leading up to his switch. Keep telling him his fate is up to him to decide, and that you have faith he won't make the same mistakes again, ect.

17. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

Question:does DA cut through stoneskin?

18. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

@ Chickavalier

I don't think so.
    DA is considered physical damage so gets blocked by stoneskin.

19. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I don't know if it was already said, but I've seen the attack do 50, 100, or 200 damage. I don't think it's always supposed to be the same amount, it might depend on the creature.

If it does do different amounts, here's my theory why: In his description, it mentions that being a deathbringer allows him to kill enemies in a single blow.

For a dragon, 200 damage is feasible
    So is 50 for a sahuagin, or a drow. I think it all depends on what the creature is

I could be wrong, but i figure it's either for this reason or because of damage resistance

[ June 28, 2005, 00:40: Message edited by: Wiegraf Folles ]

20. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Faraaz, I think Myth meant the other Holy Avenger. (The Long Sword one).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.