1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should I buy ToB? (plot)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Lev, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Lev Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is the plot of ToB worth buying, because I don't want to just get a whole heap of new monsters wade though and some new weapons and spells. I want something that will keep me in the game wanting to find out what happens next like BG 1 and 2 did.

Keep in mind I already know at the end you can choose to remain mortal or a God and that for some reason Sarevok can be part of your party.

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

At the price you can get it for I would say yes. It is quite cheap, and the story line is fine. Nothing is as good as the origional, but I liked it.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Then ToB is very very not what you're looking for. It does tie the story up in a neat little bow, but most of the game is wading through gobs of enemies.

However, I would suggest getting ToB for the changes it makes to the game as a whole. The Tab function - highlighting containers - is invaluable, the new Wild Mage class is a blast, and using HLAs - High Level Abilities - against Irenicus can be interesting. (Though I typically use them on the first encounter to get it over quicker to get to the actual battle. ;) ) And since you've got it, I'd suggest playing through ToB's storyline exactly once just for the experience and to figure out if you don't like it.

4. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

I'll second Felnoid wholeheartedly. The ToB plot (and I use the term loosely here) is not worth the cost, but the engine enhancements--tab key, wild mages, HLAs, etc.--are.

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Its definitely worth the buying price just for the enhancements to SoA. I kind of liked the story, theres a twist or two in it and at worst, (if you do decide you don't really like it) it doesn't drag on for too long.

6. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

What were you planning to do? Wait for the next in a long series of Infinity Engine expansion packs and sequels that are coming out in the near future, instead?

Get TOB, play through it once, and enjoy the enhancements. At this point, it's not like there's really anything else to add to BG2 that isn't an unofficial mod, regardless.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Get it. The story may be linear, but there are cool moments in the game as well, and you get a chance to complete the Bhaalspawn saga!

Also, all that higher levels and HLAs are very kewl as well! Don't you want your spell casters to be able to cast the world-shaking 9th level spells? (and even true dweomors!)

Also, I full heartidly believe that every IE engine player should play Watcher's Keep. Game makers said it was the best dungeon they have ever created, and yes, they are so very right! WK is a truly enigmatic, dangerous, and fun dungeon! You can buy ToB just for it! :thumb:

8. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

And I agree with Silverstar. WK is beautiful, especialy when you play it the first time. I remember how much fun I had, with all those riddles, and everything else. The final guardians, the Imprisoned one, ah, the poetry :)

9. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

One thing I liked about ToB is that at the end of the game there is a little conclusion for each of your party members, it's nothing big but its a nice touch and lets you know what happens to them.

10. Kara Ay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

And It's sad that you can no longer keep in touch with them when you become a god...

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I would buy it if I got it cheap for the following reasons:

1) Watcher's Keep. It's a maze of a kind with multiple levels and some rather well balanced battles.

2) The aforementioned enchaments.

3) The conclusion. Even though bland, it's still an end and thus better than nothing. Of course, once beating the end-boss once, you'll end skipping it every time after.

...And to use all the stuff I got in SoA. Even if the expansion practically farms all kinds of +6 weapons in every container.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.