1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Books

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You know how in BG1, TotSC, SoA, ToB, there are countless books lying around? I'm wondering if people read them. I can say that the first time through, I read every single one, although now I don't bother (very few of them contain information that is even remotely useful).

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 29 user(s) have voted.
    Voting stops at September 30, 2003 21:39 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Books (29 votes.)

Do you read the books in all of the BG series? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, every time I play, and all the books - 0% (0)
    * I read them all the first time through, but not every time I play - 45% (13)
    * I read some of the books, but I've never read all of them - 48% (14)
    * No, I never read any of the books, even on my first play through - 7% (2)

Have you read the best NPC guide ever - "(Aldeth's the Foppish) Idiot's Guide"? (Choose 1)
    * Every day - my life is hollow without my fix - 7% (2)
    * Yes - 34% (10)
    * No. And who does this Aldeth guy think he is, anyway? - 59% (17)

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

If you really want info about the Forgotten Realms. The books in the BG trilogy is perfect. I've read a few of them. Interesting indeed...

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] The only book I need is the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3rd Ed D&D).

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I only read a few book the first time through the game...now I don't even bother picking them up, or even seeing what the book is. :rolling:

5. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I would have to admit to reading about 90% of all the books in the games. My favorite has to be the story of how bhaal came to power.

6. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

@Aldeth,
    Your NPC guide is kind of good, just that the way you give the npcs their scores, it's strange... The reason why I download your guide, is to find some usefulness in some npcs that I seldom use. I must admit, your guide is the one that made me start thinking about Adomen's usefulness.
    Anyway, I read all the books in the game at least once. As I am still a newbie in the Forgotten Realms, there are still many stuffs that I don't know about.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I read all the books in Irenicus' Dungeon, and then stopped after that when I realized most of them don't have anything to do with the game.

Why? Because in the old D&D rpgs (yep, here I go again back in time :) ), they had "journal entries" that are in the manual. When you trigger an event that says "you record the conversation as journal entry ##", then I stop playing, open up the manual, find and read journal entry ##, and then resume. The point of them was to give more detail on a long conversion, or they give hints such as passwords or maps... ie: highly relevant to the game.

So when I first played BG, I thought it would be sort of the same. But not anymore.

8. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The books in the game should be a mix. There should be some that just provide local colour and others that are crucial to the game-play. If everything is only there in order to serve the plot, then the game becomes quite shallow (which is what, in my opinion, unfortunately happened with Icewind Dale II).

Some of the books I read and even take notes from them. However, these are things that I intend to somehow incorporate into our pen-and-paper D&D games that we play.

In terms of "real-life" books. I usually have the little BG2 manual somewhere handy, but I drag out my old 2.Ed D&D Player's Handbook during character creation time. (We've since moved on to 3.0.Ed and I've long since forgotten all the details.)

9. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

First time through any of the BG games I've read every book I could find, but later on I already knew their content (more or less) and didn't bother to read them again...

10. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG]
    Hmm... could someone tell me where this guide may be found?

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Of course Trydan!

It's right here at Sorcerer's Place. Well not RIGHT here - it's not in the forums - but under the guides section. There's not just mine there, but about 30 or so others, some of which are quite good.

And yes, I was totally shocked that Haer Dalis' got the highest score. He certainly isn't my favorite NPC, but I developed the scoring system BEFORE seeing what the final totals would be for the NPC's so it would be unbiased. Turned out that Haer Dalis excelled in just about every category I had.

12. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

aldeth, i dont see your guide anywhere, ive looked through it like 4 times now and still dont see it

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually it's in the Tips, Tricks & Hints section. I would have thought it belongs in the Guide section, but I never have been able to figure out why certain things are in the Tips section instead of the Guides, and vice versa, so I usually end up sifting through both until I find what I'm looking for.

14. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I always read books in D&D games the first time because sometimes they provide background info about the game, or something I may not yet know about the world I'm in. Sometimes they just give me nice reminders of some info.

I don't usually read them a second time though because I see no point.

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I read most of them the first time I played through and managed to get past that damn Beastmaster...

Now though, I like to waste time picking them up and selling them to a merchant. Sure you don't get very much for them but hey...I like money!

16. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I wonder if Galoomp the Bookkeeper is named that for something other than scrolls. I've never tried to give him all of the books. Are there any books that he has an interest in?

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

well no wonder i didnt find it, i only looked in the guides section, since it was named as a guide

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] In walkthroughs & guides you'll only see walkthroughs, for the most part... Any other types of guides are usually in Tips, Tricks and Hints. I'll make the division more clear once the new design goes up.

By the way, for those of you who didn't know, you can read all these books on SP, much more easily than in the game...

Check out http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/FR/index.php

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  19. Twilight Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I strongly recommend reading History of the Dead Three. It is a cool reading and it shines some light on the past of the main character.
    But I don't know if you can get it in BG2, but you can in BG1.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah Twilight, thats one of the few books i have read, and its a good read ^^

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.