1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can a FMT make a decent tank?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I've got an elf FMT with maxed powergaming stats, taken from BG1. Can she act as a decent tank, or am I in trouble if I stick her in that role?

TIA

2. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Yes, an FMT makes a good tank -- especially with the XP cap removed. Mirror image, stoneskin, protection from magic weapons, etc. give the FMT a great defensive edge in melee. Your hit points are a lot lower than a normal fighter's, but it doesn't really matter since your spells should keep you from taking any significant melee damage. At high levels, (greater whirlwind and assassinate are nice additions to the FMT's offensive arsenal.

But one of the best tricks for the FMT is the mislead + invisibility on mislead image + backstab until the cows come home. Coupled with greater whirlwind, you can drop nearly anything in a single round, assuming its vulnerable to backstab. Fighting a spell caster? No problem -- spell immunity to divination and abjuration will keep your mislead image hidden.

By the way -- I love your tag line! ;)

3. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Friggin' dwarves.

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Same question with FMC?

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

FMC does not offer much cheese like FMT. Heed Bombur's advice, you can do thousands of damage within a round via backstabbing with GWW when misled. It boggles the mind. :eek:

FMC does not have such powerful combos and can not use bladed weapons, which greatly reduces its offensive abilities.

But as tank, any mage combination will be very useful. I dare say mages are better tanks than most fighter oriented builds. With pysichal defenses such as stoneskin, mirror image, protection from various things spells and spell protections like spell shield, spell turning, spell immunity etc, add the best saving throw vs spells (which is the 75% of all saves your characters are forced to make), mages with right spells are extremely durable and tough:the low HP does not matter when you take 0 damage anyway. :)

6. Caedwyr Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The major advantage with a FMC is that you can effectively become completely invulrneable through assorted buffs. It takes more work, but as overpowered combos go, it is right up there with a ranger/cleric.

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Has anyone tried the GWW +Mislead thing in practice? I tried it with either haste or improved haste once and I found that after hitting the enemy I became partially visible for a bit before the image turned me back to invisible. In the visible period I often got a hit in, and I don't think the backstab damage applied in this time (my memory might be a tad rusty though).

8. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Thanks, I might consider that build for the next run

9. Enkida Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This is the build I'm playing now, and even without maxed stats it's a good one. This class is really hard to play well in BG1 without cheats, but in BG2, the backstabbity + stoneskin/mirror image is an instant win. Also you can hide rather than make yourself invisible - hiding can't be dispelled. Or you can use improved invisibility + spell immunity to divination, and just stay invisible while you backstab everything. It's a nice class if you can put up with slow development. :)

10. Stu Gems: 20/31

Hiding can be detected by thieves, has a chance of failure and gets dispelled as soon as you attack. Also you cannot hide in shadows whilst in view of the enemy.
    With improved invisibility, you become partially visible straight after an attack and cannot backstab. The improved invisibility + spell immunity:divination is only useful to prevent mages from targeting you (you cant target only partially visible creatures) and prevent them from dispelling the improved invis (by being immune to most forms of dispelling spell). True sight and dispell magic will still cut through though.

11. Enkida Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I didn't realize that hiding could be detected by thieves (though I guess that would explain a lot. Wait a second, beholders aren't thieves! Hmm... XD) Thanks for the heads up!

[ October 11, 2007, 22:01: Message edited by: Enkida ]

12. Stu Gems: 20/31

Some powerful enemies can also see through both invisibility and the thieves hiding ability - some beholders fall into this category.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.