1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Saving Throw or Magic Resistance?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ghost, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Ghost Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm not sure which is better keeping spells away from my solo swashie. Saving throw or Magic Resistance? Which is more important? like preventing Hold person or non damaging spells...

I acquire Use any items, so now i'm deciding wheter to use Amulet of power or Amulet of Spell Warding juz to protect him from spells... so question, which is more important?

My swashie cast spells too though... using scrolls, lvl 33.

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

To me... Magic resistance. And its more cool :cool:

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Magic Resistance is better. Some spells negate saving throws, but MR stops just about everything. Imprisonment is a notable exception.

4. Pix Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

magic resistance is more important. a lot of high damaging spells ignores saving throws, but very few ignores MR.

5. Ghost Gems: 3/31

Thx guys, dmging spells is not much of concern as max level swashie has hell load of hp. Juz spells like wail of banshee and so on... irritating.

I soloing assasin now, i notice with a magic resistance of 5 (amulet of magic resistance), i can negate kangaxx's imprisonment. A little magic resisting can negate a level 9 spell?

My swashie has Protection from magic on when opening the door in hell to get the rewards, when each reward appear (i.e. immunity to +1 weapons or lower) The message Save vs spell appear, same goes to the others... uh... does it count or take effect?

I was thinking about Sword of Balduran for its magic resistance, wheter its worthy to replace Sword of roses... well suggestions?

6. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, I dunno if you should do that. Isn't the sword of Balduran like a +2 weapon? I know for sure that the Blade of Roses is +3. Can a swashie dual-wield? I would think long and hard on that question. Although, there are rings, necklaces, even armor, that provides magic resistance. Try to get some of them before you go changing swords.

7. Ghost Gems: 3/31

Yeah, swashie can dual wield and pretty good at it. Any items that can provide magic resistance?
    Because when i'm stunned or confused or other non damaging offensive spells, magelings begin to shower terrible spells. It almost mean hitting the quickload key coz i'm the only target there for'em. Nightmare...

8. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Cloak of Balduran = 25% MR
    Carsomyr sets base MR to 50% whenever it swings.
    You can get MR from one of the Tears of Bhaal, I think...

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

You have to cheat to get that cloak, though. It does not drop anywhere in-game.

Amulet of Power: 5% MR
    Sword of Balduran: 10% MR
    Robe of Vecna: 10% MR
    Robe of the Archmagi: 5% MR
    Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance: 10%

[ January 04, 2003, 20:38: Message edited by: Rastor ]

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Rastor - it does with one of the mods. I got the cloak off the lich in the Docks in the NW house - can't remember which mod added it though, sorry.

11. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Doesn't the amulet you get at the end of SoA give Magic Resistance? I kind of think it does...

12. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

MR is better.
    Where do you get the KP's amulet of magic resistance?
    And yes, that SoA-ToB change amulet given by Ellesime gives +1 saving throws and +10 MR

13. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

@ dmc
    The lich with Cloak of Balduran is in Tactics mod

14. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I brought the Cloak of Balduran with me from BG1. That one was a must!

But it was better in BG1 wasn't it?
    Didn't it restore HP (very slowly) as well in BG1?

[ January 10, 2003, 05:13: Message edited by: Aces ]

15. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What's the formula with the magic resistance? For a magic resistance of 50% for example would lead to understand that 50% of all magic, any level or type, would be ignored. But it doesn't work that way. For obviously there are creatures (drow for example) who are immune to Magic Missiles (and HIGHLY resistant to fireballs), but not Abi Dazim's Horrid Wilting. What decides this? Is it something like every 10 percent gives you immunity to 1 spell-level?

16. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@Forashi
    I think it's because Magic Missile is a level 1 spell, Fireball level 3, and Horrid Wilting level 8. Like, it's harder to resist the really high spells, you know, unless you have killer magic resistance.

17. Ghost Gems: 3/31

I have 5% Magic resistance when fighting Kangaxx, His Imprisonment cant effect me though.

18. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

DarkGoddess:

Yes, so much is apparent. But I'd like to know what (and how much) determines how easy it is to resist lower than higher level spells?

And Kangaxx has succeeded in his imprisonment every time when I have not used an Immunity from Magic scroll. Resistances have had no effect to my memory. At least the amulet of power is a common object of my using, so it'd be quite strange if I hadn't noticed this resistance to Imprisonment you speak of. Perhaps it's a bug then?

19. Harkle Gems: 16/31

In BG1 magic resistance affected also friendly spells. This was removed in BG2, am I right? (Not sure about Cloak of Balduran)

20. Erebus Gems: 16/31

I'd usually go for the magic resistance over savings throws

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.